Tailgating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating

So, apparently now you need to wear a wristband even if you just want to tailgate in the parking lots? I thought it was only if you were entering the backyard tailgating area and wanted to drink there. An officer came around on a 4 wheeler and told our group that was tailgating in the far Northwest lot that we needed to go get wristbands. Seemed kind of ridiculous. Plus you have to walk all the way over to the backyard entrance just to get a wristband. All in all not a big deal, it's just a terrible policy. We were 3 couples with young kids just hanging out. Why should we have to go get wristbands?

Comment

Walked around the back yard. What a SAD corporate deal that is. Not vibrant at all. Except the few spots. Chaingang etc. For the most part it was very low "energy". very sterile like everyone is walking on eggshells. Just the feel we got walking around. Don't know that we'll go to the backyard again to look around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        So, apparently now you need to wear a wristband even if you just want to tailgate in the parking lots? I thought it was only if you were entering the backyard tailgating area and wanted to drink there. An officer came around on a 4 wheeler and told our group that was tailgating in the far Northwest lot that we needed to go get wristbands. Seemed kind of ridiculous. Plus you have to walk all the way over to the backyard entrance just to get a wristband. All in all not a big deal, it's just a terrible policy. We were 3 couples with young kids just hanging out. Why should we have to go get wristbands?
        I bet it would have gone a long way on his part if he had the foresight to bring wrist bands with him when policing that policy. That just seems like the nice, proper thing to do.

We were late to the tailgate and I made the mistake of bringing some glass bottles for out of town friends. They were spotted and politely asked to dispose of them and did (after they finished the swallow that was left). No biggie.

Tailgating does have a long way to go though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          I am beginning to see your point of view in that the policing is kind of pointless. Like BitsTD suggested he should have offered the wristbands. I am almost tempted to stand around in the Backyard without a wristband at the next game. Would Snowwhite hair get in the way of asking me for evidence of my wristband?
          Last edited by Nidaros; 09-09-2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

We tailgated last weekend in Ames for 4 hours before the game and saw a total of 2 police officers walking through the area the entire time. We were with both State and Iowa St. fans and never saw any issues. While tailgating in our spot in the Backyard, we rarely go 5 minutes without seeing a police officer of some kind either walk or drive by. Sort of has prison yard (not that I have been in one) type of feeling to it, constantly being watched just waiting for you to do something wrong. I know that is an exaggeration but the environment doesn't seem to be what is used to be.

I'm sure glad we have some big schools scheduled over the next few years as their game day experiences are really something to look forward to. Should we expect our experience to be the same as Nebraska or Iowa St. of course not, but we have a long ways to.

Comment

We had our usual good time in the BackYard. We are over policed, no doubt about that. Since I was a freshman and probably much longer than that, State has found it easy to suck the fun out of things when it wants to do so.

To SloSho's point, I get the feeling every year like they'd love to sell my spot to corporate somebody and rather have some seed/machinery/pesticide company in there.

Comment

Was there an alumni tent like usual? We made to the sjac and kids had fun. We brought in our book bag diaper bag with no issue. Wish we could spend more time up tailgating. Maybe after kids get older and get older we will commit to it more.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I understand the Alumni Tent has been moved over by AgEngineering. I know its gone, that is for sure. I think its unfortunate that it was moved away like that and preferred it where it was. In fact I preferred tailgating the way it was. The move to spread it out hasn't been good in my own opinion. We did have eight freshmen show up Saturday to hang out with us old farts. I made sure they left happy and well fed. I miss having the kids around, it was one of the best reasons to tailgate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                    I understand the Alumni Tent has been moved over by AgEngineering. I know its gone, that is for sure. I think its unfortunate that it was moved away like that and preferred it where it was. In fact I preferred tailgating the way it was. The move to spread it out hasn't been good in my own opinion. We did have eight freshmen show up Saturday to hang out with us old farts. I made sure they left happy and well fed. I miss having the kids around, it was one of the best reasons to tailgate.
                    They should have alumni and tents set up on the green space by the wellness center. That would be perfect.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

• Re: Tailgating

Why would that be perfect?

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                        Why would that be perfect?
                        Close to the stadium is nice for older alumni like my dad who had hip surgery. Open space. Why wouldn't it be?

Comment

From my perspective it dilutes the crowd even further. My experience is that people who came to the Backyard for the Alumni tent then found other people they knew and spread themselves around to have a good time. It was a draw for first timers I guess. If I was a corporate tailgater I would rather have the crowd together in one place where I was at. There's no shortage of open space in the Backyard under this current plan.

Comment

That's what I mean. The green space right next to the stadium isn't being used. For those that want to tailgate visit before but not go go the back yard it would be great. Like when they did this beef bowl meal in there. Keep it close by but space to mingle. If it's to packed in it's not much fun imho.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              That's what I mean. The green space right next to the stadium isn't being used. For those that want to tailgate visit before but not go go the back yard it would be great. Like when they did this beef bowl meal in there. Keep it close by but space to mingle. If it's to packed in it's not much fun imho.

The "green space" around the Wellness Center and between the Wellness Center and the DJD is barely green as it was just seeded to grass a couple of weeks ago. It would not be very productive to have an Alumni tent or any tent and foot traffic on that area at this time or for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU82 View Post
                                The "green space" around the Wellness Center and between the Wellness Center and the DJD is barely green as it was just seeded to grass a couple of weeks ago. It would not be very productive to have an Alumni tent or any tent and foot traffic on that area at this time or for the foreseeable future.
                                Never mind the fact that the current location of the Alumni tent is literally a half block from there and probably closer to the main entrance of the Stadium just across north campus drive. It's in a prime spot in my mind.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X