Tailgating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tailgating

One other thing related to UPD, there have been several medical emergencies over the years. I would guess the families of those involved have been very thankful for the heavy UPD presence in the backyard and elsewhere. Two sides to every coin.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      One other thing related to UPD, there have been several medical emergencies over the years. I would guess the families of those involved have been very thankful for the heavy UPD presence in the backyard and elsewhere. Two sides to every coin.
      There's a difference between present and oppressive.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        Exactly
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

LOL. This is some funny stuff right here.

Nobody. Is. Oppressed. At. Tailgate.

I've heard plenty of anecdotal stories about how UPD is awful... literally every time, it is some variation of this: "I was breaking the rules, faced predictable and appropriate consequences, and it isn't faaaaair because rules are different in other places under different circumstances!!!"

Follow the damn rules, and you will have zero problems with UPD. If UPD tells you a wristband is required... you walk your a$$ wherever you need to and get a wristband. If UPD tells you no glass is allowed... you put your glass bottles away and drink beer from a can.

"But, but, but my crappy homemade beer tastes better from a glass bottle!!! What am I supposed to walk THREE WHOLE BLOCKS to get a wristband??? C'MON!!!"

I feel your pain. My toddler likes her sippy cup, too. We bring a stroller along so she doesn't have to walk further than she wants to.

I drink at tailgate almost every week. Sometimes a lot. I don't care if you or anyone else drinks at tailgate. I don't care if you or anyone else drinks a lot.

If you don't like the rules, I might sign your petition to change them.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            Exactly
            If you guys are feeling so oppressed by police, maybe you should take a knee during the National Anthem. It will bring a ton of awareness to your tailgating oppression.

Comment

Oppression. ...lol.

You poor souls, the hard times you've had to endure fighting for what you believe in. Remember, if you are willing to risk all, you too can have a Nike ad to erase those burdens and injustices.

Sorry to make light of your tail gating woes but the further this thread goes the funnier it becomes.

SF_RABBIT_FAN you were too quick.

Comment

LOL. This is some funny stuff right here.

Nobody. Is. Oppressed. At. Tailgate.

I've heard plenty of anecdotal stories about how UPD is awful... literally every time, it is some variation of this: "I was breaking the rules, faced predictable and appropriate consequences, and it isn't faaaaair because rules are different in other places under different circumstances!!!"

Follow the damn rules, and you will have zero problems with UPD. If UPD tells you a wristband is required... you walk your a$$ wherever you need to and get a wristband. If UPD tells you no glass is allowed... you put your glass bottles away and drink beer from a can.

"But, but, but my crappy homemade beer tastes better from a glass bottle!!! What am I supposed to walk THREE WHOLE BLOCKS to get a wristband??? C'MON!!!"

I feel your pain. My toddler likes her sippy cup, too. We bring a stroller along so she doesn't have to walk further than she wants to.

I drink at tailgate almost every week. Sometimes a lot. I don't care if you or anyone else drinks at tailgate. I don't care if you or anyone else drinks a lot.

If you don't like the rules, I might sign your petition to change them.
                The point was... UPD could be present like they should be without making people feel uncomfortable/not welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                  Oppression. ...lol.

You poor souls, the hard times you've had to endure fighting for what you believe in. Remember, if you are willing to risk all, you too can have a Nike ad to erase those burdens and injustices.

Sorry to make light of your tail gating woes but the further this thread goes the funnier it becomes.

SF_RABBIT_FAN you were too quick.
                  People went to tailgate and a football game broke out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    People went to tailgate and a football game broke out.
                    No kidding!

Comment

You guys can joke, but creating a welcoming tailgating atmosphere is essential to growing the SDSU fan base in the short term and especially long term. If all people really wanted to do is watch a football game, some would just stay at home and watch it. You have to create/foster an experience, make it into an event that people feel like they can't miss so they have to be there.

Comment

If you guys are feeling so oppressed by police, maybe you should take a knee during the National Anthem. It will bring a ton of awareness to your tailgating oppression.
                        Everyone knows “oppression” is too harsh of a word, but I get his/her point. You obviously think everything is doing great and status quo. I’m actually really sorry you feel that way. There are some changes that need to be made and UPD is part of those changes.

I’m not asking for a rave/party every time. I don’t/can’t do that as I have kids, job, etc. My family and kids come to all the games. But these tailgating rules are ruining some of the future fan base. I’m worried about the students and building an atmosphere for fans to come join an “all day event” instead of just a football game.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

The point was... UPD could be present like they should be without making people feel uncomfortable/not welcome.
                          Here is the UPD mission statement:

https://www.sdstate.edu/safety-secur...sion-statement

Of particular interest:

"We are committed to... the enforcement of all laws and university regulations; the prevention and detection of crime, and the apprehension and prosecution of violators..."

If the law or university regulations change, I have no doubt police practices would change. They certainly have before.

Comment

Here is the UPD mission statement:

https://www.sdstate.edu/safety-secur...sion-statement

Of particular interest:

"We are committed to... the enforcement of all laws and university regulations; the prevention and detection of crime, and the apprehension and prosecution of violators..."

If the law or university regulations change, I have no doubt police practices would change. They certainly have before.
                            You're acting like I'm blaming this all on the UPD, I'm not. We all know the biggest problems are the tailgating policies and procedures. The UPD is in charge of enforcing them, so they wrongly get blamed at times when they're just "doing their job". I'm guilty of doing that, but ultimately I know that they aren't all of the problem. Having said that, there have been many instances when the "power" of being UPD has gone to their head and they've gone much further than they needed to.

Comment

You're acting like I'm blaming this all on the UPD, I'm not. We all know the biggest problems are the tailgating policies and procedures. The UPD is in charge of enforcing them, so they wrongly get blamed at times when they're just "doing their job". I'm guilty of doing that, but ultimately I know that they aren't all of the problem.
                              UPD is involved when it comes to gameday operations and tailgating.

There is no easy answer here. As a university and an athletic department, you can't just let minors drink in public - you can't. Do other schools allow it, many probably do. But we don't.

If we allowed it, you'd have the other side of the coin complaining about too much of a party atmosphere like we had at Hobo Day a few years ago.

Just follow the rules and get your wristband - it really isn't that hard. If you are a minor and want to drink pre-game, figure out how to do it while tailgating and not get caught. That's what we all did when we were young, right?

We've been tailgating near the library for 4 years now and have had zero issues with UPD. One time some sort of administrator politely asked me to put my bottle of vodka away that I had sitting on a table. I knew the rules and gladly put it away.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                UPD is involved when it comes to gameday operations and tailgating.

There is no easy answer here. As a university and an athletic department, you can't just let minors drink in public - you can't. Do other schools allow it, many probably do. But we don't.

If we allowed it, you'd have the other side of the coin complaining about too much of a party atmosphere like we had at Hobo Day a few years ago.

Just follow the rules and get your wristband - it really isn't that hard. If you are a minor and want to drink pre-game, figure out how to do it while tailgating and not get caught. That's what we all did when we were young, right?

We've been tailgating near the library for 4 years now and have had zero issues with UPD. One time some sort of administrator politely asked me to put my bottle of vodka away that I had sitting on a table. I knew the rules and gladly put it away.
                                I follow the rules too, I'm not some rogue rebel that is "fighting the power". That doesn't mean I'm happy about them. I'm not looking for anarchy, I'm looking for reasonable rules that encourage people of all ages, especially students, to be able to tailgate without being hassled as long as they're not causing a disturbance.

Comment

Working...
                                X