Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    i don’t doubt you one bit. But we tailgated multiple times between the Dana and the library and never had a upd come over once. I only tailgate for a hour, maybe two though. Edit: no wristbands worn either
    I haven’t had an issue since.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      We're not the only university that has wristbands. Yale is another one that I found with a quick Google search.

What "middle ground" would you propose?
      Yale isnt known for a good gameday except once every two years when they play harvard at home. And USD just implented that policy after SDSU started it, and its been unpopular with their students down there as well from what I've seen.

The middle ground, in my opinion, is to: Take a hard line with lude behavior, regardless of age and don't go looking to bust kids for underage consumption in the parking lot before a game.

The compromise to me is to have UPD enforce incidents, but not go looking for issues. The problem now is, they can't really go back to pre 2016 and the old days. That would mean publicly taking a stance of tolerance towards underage consumption after making it a priority to stop it.

Comment

It's time for a story, boys and girls (are there females on this forum?) Time to look back and see how we got to our current tailgating situation.

At one point, students didn't have their own tailgating area and just wandered around the Backyard, which I guess some alumni didn't like. Athletics decided to create a student area right next to the Backyard (separated by a rope fence) with food, music, and whatever else Athletics could get donated for the students. This lasted all of one year because of an incident on Hobo Day that year (pretty sure this was all in 2015.) Students were drinking in their area and a few idiots, who obviously had a few too many, began throwing beer cans. Because of how close this was to the Backyard, cans were going near alumni. Fans complained to Athletics, and the student area in the Backyard was over. After the season, it was decided to make drastic changes to tailgating which resulted in required wristbands for everyone, students being nowhere near the Backyard, and UPD becoming even more power hungry and just plain being dicks to everyone. So, because of a few students making poor decisions and some alumni complaining, we are stuck with what we have today.

My opinions of tailgating are no more wristbands, give students their own area for tailgating away from the Backyard, and tell UPD to bugger off. I'm not saying UPD shouldn't be there, but they need to get off their high horse and stop pretending they are freaking Wyatt Earp. Since they are looking for trouble, they are going to find trouble, which means even of-age students don't even want to go tailgating. UPD should only intervene and ask for IDs when things are obviously getting out of hand.

Our current situation is a combination of rash and quick decisions made by Athletics to appease some angry alumni and UPD thinking they are the hottest stuff to walk the Earth. Some of this could be changed really quickly: the other part can't unless the President and AD tell UPD off and tell them of their place on gamedays and at SDSU as a whole.
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
          It's time for a story, boys and girls (are there females on this forum?) Time to look back and see how we got to our current tailgating situation.

At one point, students didn't have their own tailgating area and just wandered around the Backyard, which I guess some alumni didn't like. Athletics decided to create a student area right next to the Backyard (separated by a rope fence) with food, music, and whatever else Athletics could get donated for the students. This lasted all of one year because of an incident on Hobo Day that year (pretty sure this was all in 2015.) Students were drinking in their area and a few idiots, who obviously had a few too many, began throwing beer cans. Because of how close this was to the Backyard, cans were going near alumni. Fans complained to Athletics, and the student area in the Backyard was over. After the season, it was decided to make drastic changes to tailgating which resulted in required wristbands for everyone, students being nowhere near the Backyard, and UPD becoming even more power hungry and just plain being dicks to everyone. So, because of a few students making poor decisions and some alumni complaining, we are stuck with what we have today.

My opinions of tailgating are no more wristbands, give students their own area for tailgating away from the Backyard, and tell UPD to bugger off. I'm not saying UPD shouldn't be there, but they need to get off their high horse and stop pretending they are freaking Wyatt Earp. Since they are looking for trouble, they are going to find trouble, which means even of-age students don't even want to go tailgating. UPD should only intervene and ask for IDs when things are obviously getting out of hand.

Our current situation is a combination of rash and quick decisions made by Athletics to appease some angry alumni and UPD thinking they are the hottest stuff to walk the Earth. Some of this could be changed really quickly: the other part can't unless the President and AD tell UPD off and tell them of their place on gamedays and at SDSU as a whole.
          To your credit, you did note earlier in your post that some students acting like idiots helped prompt the current policies, so let's not forget them in the bold portion.

ISU has been cited as a more tolerant and/or hospitable tailgating environment. That may indeed be the case; however, it could also be an instance of some of our fans attending one game there, not noticing any issues, and then comparing that to their experiences attending years' worth of Jacks games and having much more frequent interactions with UPD, security, Athletics staff, etc.

As for the "buggering off," I offer this regarding ISU's policing of alcohol that resulted in multiple arrests/citations that are either being ignored or not mentioned anywhere in our discussion. Even ISU is not laissez-faire in its policing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            Yale isnt known for a good gameday except once every two years when they play harvard at home. And USD just implented that policy after SDSU started it, and its been unpopular with their students down there as well from what I've seen.

The middle ground, in my opinion, is to: Take a hard line with lude behavior, regardless of age and don't go looking to bust kids for underage consumption in the parking lot before a game.

The compromise to me is to have UPD enforce incidents, but not go looking for issues. The problem now is, they can't really go back to pre 2016 and the old days. That would mean publicly taking a stance of tolerance towards underage consumption after making it a priority to stop it.
            If SDSU implemented its policy in 2016, that's also when USD's policy that I linked to was revised, so it could have been concurrent, rather than in response to our change.

As noted in my response to Pride's post, even ISU "busts" kids (and augments patrols to police drinking on days when it historically increases). I get people wanting to be left alone, but given the choice between getting a wristband and getting an arrest/citation, I can't see the logic in opposing the wristband as staunchly as some do here, as the choice isn't going to be no wristbands and reduced enforcement versus what we have now, it'll likely be no wristbands and increased patrols, as reportedly occurs at ISU.

Then, the question becomes who pays for the increased patrols, as the work probably isn't going to be done pro bono.

Comment

If SDSU implemented its policy in 2016, that's also when USD's policy that I linked to was revised, so it could have been concurrent, rather than in response to our change.

As noted in my response to Pride's post, even ISU "busts" kids (and augments patrols to police drinking on days when it historically increases). I get people wanting to be left alone, but given the choice between getting a wristband and getting an arrest/citation, I can't see the logic in opposing the wristband as staunchly as some do here, as the choice isn't going to be no wristbands and reduced enforcement versus what we have now, it'll likely be no wristbands and increased patrols, as reportedly occurs at ISU.

Then, the question becomes who pays for the increased patrols, as the work probably isn't going to be done pro bono.
              The bolded is the issue. Why is that the choice? It isn't at most other places, and shouldnt be here either. UPD has taken a hard line approach to game day that was not needed.

The issue also goes a little deeper than just UPD, and I'd be happy to go into more detail about that, but not in a public realm. Feel free to PM me.

Comment

I agree that the policies have gone overboard and the environment in the backyard has changed. I have been tailgating in the backyard since I was a student in 05. Even back then the upd did patrols but did nothing unless they needed to intervene, they mostly yelled put in a cup and didn’t care of your age. Then came the day they started closing tailgating before the game (2008?), not sure if there was reason besides trying to get more people into the stadium to increase attendance. Which didn’t work people tailgated then went to a house party. Then since then the clashes with upd and students has escalated, they made t shirts that said “ you can’t spell stupid without UPD”. My point is they have been sweeking the policy to get the result they want and it’s not working.

I think the students shouldn’t be exiled to some random lot and be heavily watched by the upd. There will always be that 1% that take things to far. I recall the hobo days that things got out of control and students where throwing beer and climbing on alumni’s expensive RVs, which what probably pissed off the the wrong alumni. And these individuals do need to be punished. But applying pressure students is not going detour students from having a good time. They will just find somewhere else to do it.

If I had a vote, which I don’t, I would let the students have there own area with amenities adjacent to the backyard so they can see people they know who have there spots, and no wristbands that is just asking for student and upd confrontations. During hobo days where all the issues seem to happen just keep an eye out for that 1% because I dont recall any issues ever during any other game. So during every other game the upd just need to do patrols like every other part of tailgating.

I am am one of those alums that had a god time in backyard as a student and now I write a check every year since graduated for season tickets and a tailgating spot. That’s how you increase attendance.
                Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                  I agree that the policies have gone overboard and the environment in the backyard has changed. I have been tailgating in the backyard since I was a student in 05. Even back then the upd did patrols but did nothing unless they needed to intervene, they mostly yelled put in a cup and didn’t care of your age. Then came the day they started closing tailgating before the game (2008?), not sure if there was reason besides trying to get more people into the stadium to increase attendance. Which didn’t work people tailgated then went to a house party. Then since then the clashes with upd and students has escalated, they made t shirts that said “ you can’t spell stupid without UPD”. My point is they have been sweeking the policy to get the result they want and it’s not working.

I think the students shouldn’t be exiled to some random lot and be heavily watched by the upd. There will always be that 1% that take things to far. I recall the hobo days that things got out of control and students where throwing beer and climbing on alumni’s expensive RVs, which what probably pissed off the the wrong alumni. And these individuals do need to be punished. But applying pressure students is not going detour students from having a good time. They will just find somewhere else to do it.

If I had a vote, which I don’t, I would let the students have there own area with amenities adjacent to the backyard so they can see people they know who have there spots, and no wristbands that is just asking for student and upd confrontations. During hobo days where all the issues seem to happen just keep an eye out for that 1% because I dont recall any issues ever during any other game. So during every other game the upd just need to do patrols like every other part of tailgating.

I am am one of those alums that had a god time in backyard as a student and now I write a check every year since graduated for season tickets and a tailgating spot. That’s how you increase attendance.
                  I agree with a lot of what has been said here. I started in 06 tailgating in the backyard as a student when it was $5 to drive in instead of the $500 like now. The biggest problem I ever remember is when the AST club had the raffle to see how long a car with no oil could go before blowing up. haha. Oh, also Mango pedaling his crappy PBR way before it became a hipster beer.

Obviously, the Hobo Day beer throwing was an issue and I agree, it is only Hobo Day that causes trouble. The rest of the games would not be an issue. This isn't Sell and it certainly isn't student leadership pushing for these rules. It is President Dunn and UPD. Dunn strongly detests underage drinking and feels it is one of our main issues with retention. He has given UPD free reign to stop it. Justin, like previous administrations, realizes that there is a balance. I remember Mike Reger and Marysz Rames telling me they would rather have students drinking in a controlled setting (like tailgating) than at a house party in town. Unfortunately, the current level of enforcement is alienating a generation of students who will soon become alumni and potential donors and season ticket holders.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    The bolded is the issue. Why is that the choice? It isn't at most other places, and shouldnt be here either. UPD has taken a hard line approach to game day that was not needed.

The issue also goes a little deeper than just UPD, and I'd be happy to go into more detail about that, but not in a public realm. Feel free to PM me.
                    I'm not saying the choice should be what's in bold, but to say other universities don't take a relatively strict approach seems to ignore articles like the ISU one.

I'm interested in the context you mentioned, so I'll PM you, if you're still wiling to share.

In the interim, I'll just say that I hope whomever students and alums have advocating for adaptations in the tailgate regs does so with much more tact/diplomacy than some of the shirts and language mentioned.

Comment

I'm not saying the choice should be what's in bold, but to say other universities don't take a relatively strict approach seems to ignore articles like the ISU one.

I'm interested in the context you mentioned, so I'll PM you, if you're still wiling to share.

In the interim, I'll just say that I hope whomever students and alums have advocating for adaptations in the tailgate regs does so with much more tact/diplomacy than some of the shirts and language mentioned.
                      I would be proud to wear a wristband, and to be suspected of being under age. I guess we only go around once in life, and now I don't even have to ask for senior discounts at Pizza Ranch. The cashier looks at me and automatically rings them up. How thoughtful, but to have tailgating issues like some of us on the board, I dont think I want to go down that road again. I would however think that the rules protect everyone at the game, and safety is always an issue where ever there is a crowd. I am thankful that no one has a skull injury from the flying beer cans, but if it were small child, it should bother someone's conscience for a long time, I would think.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 09-04-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Got an email talking about which roads will be closed and open on Saturday and changes to parking lots. In the email it states "Parking lots that allow alcohol are for beer and wine only. No hard alcohol is allowed."...

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          Got an email talking about which roads will be closed and open on Saturday and changes to parking lots. In the email it states "Parking lots that allow alcohol are for beer and wine only. No hard alcohol is allowed."...
                          I assume this includes any homemade drinks (apple pie, sangria, long island iced tea) that contain 'hard alcohol'. If so, I hope to see the University and UPD policing this extremely hard to keep all of the irresponsible 'hard alcohol' drinkers at bay. I do not want my beer and wine tailgating fun ruined by a bunch of unrefined alcoholic hooligans drinking 'hard alcohol'. Give me a break with this rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
                            I assume this includes any homemade drinks (apple pie, sangria, long island iced tea) that contain 'hard alcohol'. If so, I hope to see the University and UPD policing this extremely hard to keep all of the irresponsible 'hard alcohol' drinkers at bay. I do not want my beer and wine tailgating fun ruined by a bunch of unrefined alcoholic hooligans drinking 'hard alcohol'. Give me a break with this rule.
                            If they are a student or not an established donor, I am sure that it will be enforced.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

This has been a rule for at least 2 years. As long as you don’t have liquor bottles out in the open you will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                This has been a rule for at least 2 years. As long as you don’t have liquor bottles out in the open you will be okay.
                                This is why I put all my hard alcohol in used water bottles.

Comment

Working...
                                X