Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    Ok, so you admit that you should have worn wristbands per the policy they released, and which posters on here lamented, but also state it's not what people want? It's the current tradeoff for tailgating on someone else's property. I could understand it being an issue if SDSU implemented the policy without sharing it with fans beforehand, but it sure seems like you and your group were aware of it. Plus, if you're trying to get them to consider less stringent wristband/alcohol policies, making it difficult to enforce the current policy probably isn't going to convince SDSU officials to rush to the table with a very open mind.

I guess I would ask how much a person is interested in enjoying tailgating versus making the wristbands an issue if they choose to drink before getting the wristband, when the tailgating policy clearly states "All persons consuming alcohol must be 21 years of age, have valid ID, and receive and wear a wristband from designated University agents. Tailgate activities, including consumption of alcohol, outside designated areas and times are prohibited."

Just get the wristband, minimize the chance of an adverse UPD interaction, and then "drink away"
    Or we could just not have a wristband policy like every other school out there?
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      So then you'd have people complaining about possibly having to show their ID multiple times?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        This here. I've tailgated at several other schools, as I'm sure most of you have, and I've never seen anything like it. Some schools have a 21+ roped off area, but that's for more of a beer garden thing. Also, it's a well documented issue that our tailgating policies and UPD are not helping gameday. Students have bitched about it non-stop, many on this forum have echoed that, Matt Zimmer has mentioned it, other schools fans have commented on it, and we've all had our personal experience with it, one way or the other. It's a unique policy, and it was an over-reaction. There needed to be a middle ground, and the athletics department/UPD missed it.

Edit: I'll also add that I really agree with whoever said more spread out tailgating is a good thing. Concentrating all of it in the backyard creates an environment for issues to arise. More tailgating spread evenly across all lots probably creates a much more low key (but still fun) and family friendly atmosphere.

Comment

What is the point of checking everyone’s IDs?
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            This here. I've tailgated at several other schools, as I'm sure most of you have, and I've never seen anything like it. Some schools have a 21+ roped off area, but that's for more of a beer garden thing. Also, it's a well documented issue that our tailgating policies and UPD are not helping gameday. Students have bitched about it non-stop, many on this forum have echoed that, Matt Zimmer has mentioned it, other schools fans have commented on it, and we've all had our personal experience with it, one way or the other. It's a unique policy, and it was an over-reaction. There needed to be a middle ground, and the athletics department/UPD missed it.

Edit: I'll also add that I really agree with whoever said more spread out tailgating is a good thing. Concentrating all of it in the backyard creates an environment for issues to arise. More tailgating spread evenly across all lots probably creates a much more low key (but still fun) and family friendly atmosphere.
            This is all spot on.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              It was my first time tailgating with the new policy. I understand that we should have known but we forgot. That doesn’t mean we should be treated like crap should it? There’s a reason these guys haven’t came back.

It is my understanding that they have relaxed this rule though, but some damage was already done.

Did you know last year that a UPD officer went up into the suites and made someone (I was told a large donor) pour out their drink because it was liquor? That’s an issue they need to take up with Justin Sell and the athletic staff. They shouldn’t be running around the suites with their badge out looking for trouble.

Let me also add that I hardly drink much anymore. My work and schedule just doesn’t allow it so I’m not trying to get into a huge drinking vs non-drinking debate.
              I have no idea how you were treated. If the officer was rude, s/he deserves to be criticized and should undergo some training in more effective community relations. Trust me, I have had negative interactions with some law enforcement on a power trip. I have also seen how people treat law enforcement who are attempting to conduct themselves in a professional manner.

Not sure if you've ever worked security at an event like a game, but I was asked to volunteer at Hot Harley Nights this summer. I said I'd take whatever job they were having difficulty filling, so they put me with security working at the gate. I had one guy get in my face because we were directed not to allow alcohol from outside the fairgrounds into the concert area, but he demanded that he should be an exception because "he was on the Hot Harley Nights Committee." Then, I had another guy who "forgot" he put a 40oz bottle of rum into his bookbag that he was trying to bring in the gate.

You learn quickly to have an eye for the people, particularly ones with bags, who try get lost in groups of at least 3-4 who all try to rush through the gate simultaneously. You'll also have people who think they're pulling a fast one by chatting with you and/or making a scene while their buddies try to sneak in. The gist of this diatribe is, sure, the officer might have been rude, but s/he might also have been trying to manage "screening" multiple tailgaters with alcohol that lacked wristbands.

Comment

I don’t have a dog in this fight. Interesting reading though!

Comment

This is all spot on.
                  We're not the only university that has wristbands. Yale is another one that I found with a quick Google search.

What "middle ground" would you propose?

Comment

I have no idea how you were treated. If the officer was rude, s/he deserves to be criticized and should undergo some training in more effective community relations. Trust me, I have had negative interactions with some law enforcement on a power trip. I have also seen how people treat law enforcement who are attempting to conduct themselves in a professional manner.

Not sure if you've ever worked security at an event like a game, but I was asked to volunteer at Hot Harley Nights this summer. I said I'd take whatever job they were having difficulty filling, so they put me with security working at the gate. I had one guy get in my face because we were directed not to allow alcohol from outside the fairgrounds into the concert area, but he demanded that he should be an exception because "he was on the Hot Harley Nights Committee." Then, I had another guy who "forgot" he put a 40oz bottle of rum into his bookbag that he was trying to bring in the gate.

You learn quickly to have an eye for the people, particularly ones with bags, who try get lost in groups of at least 3-4 who all try to rush through the gate simultaneously. You'll also have people who think they're pulling a fast one by chatting with you and/or making a scene while their buddies try to sneak in. The gist of this diatribe is, sure, the officer might have been rude, but s/he might also have been trying to manage "screening" multiple tailgaters with alcohol that lacked wristbands.
                    I understand and this person was on a power trip.

Dont let this blind you from the fact that it’s a stupid f-ing rule that caused a UPD officer to have a confrontation with 30+ year olds standing around drinking beer. It’s stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by MilbankJack View Post
                      I’m a freshman at SDSU. A large percentage of the college students I talk to as well as their friends never go to the games because of the tailgate policy. They would much rather be at a house and watch the game on TV. The student section will most likely never be filled in the immediate future because of the lack of gameday/tailgate experience for many students.
                      I agree with ya there, I'm a sophomore at state as well and none of my friends go to the campus sanctioned "tailgating", everyone just goes to houses or whatever and becuase of that it draws a lot away from watching the game.
                      The JACKEDRABBITS aren't that cute.. we can be mean too!

Comment

We're not the only university that has wristbands. Yale is another one that I found with a quick Google search.

What "middle ground" would you propose?
                        Whatever USD and NDSU do. I know that these places close up before kickoff. I’d love to see a reentry rule until 10 minutes left in the third, but I’d understand the issues with that.

I sit in club seats so I’d never utilize that. I just feel this strongly about tailgating and creating a good environment even though I head in a half hour before to hang out up there. Things need to change. They’re losing the future fan base with the student body.

Comment

I understand and this person was on a power trip.

Dont let this blind you from the fact that it’s a stupid f-ing rule that caused a UPD officer to have a confrontation with 30+ year olds standing around drinking beer. It’s stupidity.
                          I understand many on here feel the rule is stupid. What I am interested in is increasing attendance at Jacks games. I fully concede that tailgating is one important way to do so. That's why I asked what compromise you and others would propose to SDSU officials.

Comment

Whatever USD and NDSU do. I know that these places close up before kickoff. I’d love to see a reentry rule until 10 minutes left in the third, but I’d understand the issues with that.

I sit in club seats so I’d never utilize that. I just feel this strongly about tailgating and creating a good environment even though I head in a half hour before to hang out up there. Things need to change. They’re losing the future fan base with the student body.
                            Apparently USD had wristbands too (pg. 2 Item #6). Sorry, I think the tailgaters are going to make more headway if they compromise on something like wristbands and have a discussion with Admin./Athletics and UPD about strategies to reduce the tension. At least some of those parties should be receptive to that if the issue with loss of fans/donors is broached during these discussions.

Comment

Last year I had a group of friends show up for the game. Only a couple Jackrabbit fans were in the bunch but the rest tagged along. We were tailgating and hadn’t made the walk over to the wristband area yet. We had a UPD officer come up to us and he was very rude about it and checked everyone’s IDs. He actually threatened to make us dump out our drinks until we got wristbands. This is the kind of crap people shouldn’t have to deal with. Yes, we should have got our wristbands, but we all look older and we were just standing around. People don’t want to deal with that when they’re just sitting there enjoying themselves. Same goes for the students.

This tailgating issue is my hill and I’m going to die on it.
                              i don’t doubt you one bit. But we tailgated multiple times between the Dana and the library and never had a upd come over once. I only tailgate for a hour, maybe two though. Edit: no wristbands worn either

Comment

So then you'd have people complaining about possibly having to show their ID multiple times?
                                Been to plenty of places with no wristbands and never had my ID checked. Doesn't seem that hard.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X