Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in Vermillion

https://twitter.com/jhoeck/status/925174225618354176

Starting cornerback Danny Rambo arrested for rape. Another reserve cornerback has also been arrested. Adam Harris was also suspended for last weeks game and remains suspended indefinitely.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Re: Trouble in Vermillion

Yeeeeeeeesh
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I assumed that was coming the way that Kelo and the Argus covered the "suspension" on the news portions of their websites Saturday. What a mess.

Comment

Zimmer has that news posted on his Twitter account, too.

What a sad mess for all concerned.

I hope everyone keeps in mind that these are allegations at this point (and recall not that many years ago when an SDSU basketball player faced a similar accusation, was removed from the team but was later found not guilty by a jury. I make the foregoing comment because I recall a USD 'fan' or two taking some hard shots at SDSU when the Jacks basketball player was accused and I hope no one claiming to be a Jacks fan acts in a similar manner.)

Rambo, in addition to having a great name for a football player, was a talented player. At this point, we can all just hope the truth comes out, whatever it is.

Comment

This is never good news for us nor for USD

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Zimmer has that news posted on his Twitter account, too.

What a sad mess for all concerned.

I hope everyone keeps in mind that these are allegations at this point (and recall not that many years ago when an SDSU basketball player faced a similar accusation, was removed from the team but was later found not guilty by a jury. I make the foregoing comment because I recall a USD 'fan' or two taking some hard shots at SDSU when the Jacks basketball player was accused and I hope no one claiming to be a Jacks fan acts in a similar manner.)

Rambo, in addition to having a great name for a football player, was a talented player. At this point, we can all just hope the truth comes out, whatever it is.
            Exactly what I was thinking. Those SDSU players got hosed.

Thoughts are with the girl if it’s true, but innocent until proven guilty.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Regardless of where the truth comes down in a situation like this, it's safe to say that the lives of both the accuser and the accused will never be the same.

Comment

Here's a link to the story in The Volante, the USD student newspaper:

http://volanteonline.com/2017/10/bre...exual-assault/

Side note: The Volante article includes a comment from Tena Haraldson, USD's director of communications and vice president of marketing, enrollment & university relations. Tena was the long-time head of the Associated Press in South Dakota and is a 1976 SDSU Journalism grad--very good hire by USD about three years ago. It's stories like this one that make the director of communications job difficult but she'll handle it as well as it can be handled.

Comment

From the Argus

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    Exactly what I was thinking. Those SDSU players got hosed.

Thoughts are with the girl if it’s true, but innocent until proven guilty.
                    In a court of law one is innocent until proven guilty but in the modern court of public opinion, one is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt when the accusation is first muttered. Look no further than than recent, well publicized accusations and resulting figurative decapitations coming from nothing more than Twitter tweets. None of this is to say that any such accusations are false or misleading but as it relates to any manner of sexual assault allegations, the justice rendered makes the French revolution look down right judicious. Or for a more on point analogy, the fall out in Dinkytown, where players were meted out serious punishments, some permanently expelled, where the evidence of the actors' states of mind during the act showed it to be nothing more than a consensual, albeit disgusting, act, but consensual none the less. There accuser and female participant, presumably, went without ramification.

I pray that for the accused and accuser each that justice is served in such a challenging environment.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
                      In a court of law one is innocent until proven guilty but in the modern court of public opinion, one is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt when the accusation is first muttered. Look no further than than recent, well publicized accusations and resulting figurative decapitations coming from nothing more than Twitter tweets. None of this is to say that any such accusations are false or misleading but as it relates to any manner of sexual assault allegations, the justice rendered makes the French revolution look down right judicious. Or for a more on point analogy, the fall out in Dinkytown, where players were meted out serious punishments, some permanently expelled, where the evidence of the actors' states of mind during the act showed it to be nothing more than a consensual, albeit disgusting, act, but consensual none the less. There accuser and female participant, presumably, went without ramification.

I pray that for the accused and accuser each that justice is served in such a challenging environment.
                      In the Minnesota case, it was the in-house Title IX investigation that ran roughshod over the players' rights. The 4 or 5 players that were directly involved deserved the penalties they got even though it was determined that there would be no charges in the legal system. The rest of the 10 players that were originally expelled or received multiple game suspensions eventually had their penalties overturned or reduced through the appeal process. Some of these players were not even in the same building when the incident occurred - they were penalized because they had received texts/photos from the participants. None of the players were allowed to have legal reps at interviews or the original hearings. There were no recordings or transcripts of any interviews, only the interviewers notes. There was no opportunity for players or their legal reps to ask questions of the accuser. It was fortunate that one of the accused, Antoine Winfield,Jr. had a family that had the financial wherewithal to hire legal representation that was able to bring some justice through the appeal process. And unfortunately, even the players who had their penalties overturned cannot get their reputations restored.

Comment

With all the talk of Stig and our football team this gives some ammo to the grass isn't always greener crowd. I know the coach can't always control the players but we haven't had anything close to this with Stig. The vast majority of the players he and his staff recruit appear to be exemplary student athletes. I love that about Stig.

http://www.keloland.com/news/article...-investigation

Details from Keloland. It's incredibly sad the victim was reluctant to report this because of backlash.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          With all the talk of Stig and our football team this gives some ammo to the grass isn't always greener crowd. I know the coach can't always control the players but we haven't had anything close to this with Stig. The vast majority of the players he and his staff recruit appear to be exemplary student athletes. I love that about Stig.

Details from Keloland. It's incredibly sad the victim was reluctant to report this because of backlash.
                          Good reminder. As noted by MontanaRabbit a coach cannot always control what players are going to do but Stig runs a great program and minimizes the chance that one of his players will be accused of a crime.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post

I’m a very big Gopher fan so I understand your point here.

That said, some of the details have come out and it doesn’t look very good.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Bingo. I cant give rep points to MontanaRabbit, but would on this one. I do feel bad for Coach Nielsen. He seems to be a real gentleman and a winner of football games. The complaint seems to say that the two defendants will need some skillful legal assistance. I remember stopping into Coach Stig's office during the summer months, a couple of years back. I dont frequent his office but was in the building to get my Difference Maker apparel exchanged. I got the wrong size. I noticed he had his old Selby High School Helmet on the shelve. I asked him if he had any good Selby guys in the program, and he told me he had one, who bombed out by hanging around a bunch of social animals and got into some minor trouble and was later dismissed from the team. I suspect this was not an easy task of kicking someone from your hometown off the team, but he did. Some may think he wears his religion on his sleeve, but it seems to work and sets an example for all on the team.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 11-01-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X