Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Week: North Dakota State University

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Jacks are 7.5 point dogs. Total is 51.5. Both seem about right. Although imo, we either win by a little bit, or lose by a lot. The chances of anything else are slim.
    I could see us losing a heartbreaker. Good competitive game up until the end. At least not less likely than winning a thriller.

Comment

The Jacks are 5-8, all time, against the Bison in Dakota Marker games. That's not good, by any means, but it's not as terrible as one might think listening to reports from the news media and Bison fans. I think the Jacks will win this one by more than a TD and bring the record to 6-8.
      This space for lease.

Comment

I'm curious about Ty Brooks and if he is healthy enough to fill the shoes (explosive plays) that Lance Dunn provides. I'm sure Seth Wilson is good but I'd be concerned about giving him the ball in pressure situations for his first collegiate carries. I'm curious to see how Bruce handles a heavy workload in back to back weeks. The Bison don't have a fullback like Morlock this year as the two listed on the two deep have zero carries. I hope the Jacks stack the box in the early downs and then play man to man on third down with a Rozeboom spying on Stick on. The rushing yardage the Bison gain on 1st and 2nd down will really determine the outcome of the game.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          I'm curious about Ty Brooks and if he is healthy enough to fill the shoes (explosive plays) that Lance Dunn provides. I'm sure Seth Wilson is good but I'd be concerned about giving him the ball in pressure situations for his first collegiate carries. I'm curious to see how Bruce handles a heavy workload in back to back weeks. The Bison don't have a fullback like Morlock this year as the two listed on the two deep have zero carries. I hope the Jacks stack the box in the early downs and then play man to man on third down with a Rozeboom spying on Stick on. The rushing yardage the Bison gain on 1st and 2nd down will really determine the outcome of the game.
          I think the coaching staff would like to get the ball into Ty Brooks' hands a bit more than last week, as they probably limited him a bit against UNI due to the hamstring injury he came back from. He's a different type of runner than Lance as I think Ty prefers to head straight to the edge, where Lance could go up the middle and make guys miss at the next level. Bruce should be able to carry the load as up until this point the rotation has probably kept him a bit more fresh, and he's healthy (knock on wood). I'm equally as concerned about Seth and what he'll do when given the ball, but maybe even a bit more concerned about what he'll do when he's not getting the ball ie picking up blitzes and adjusting for audibles. I'm also excited about a new face coming along 8 games into the season and what he can bring to the team.

Comment

Originally posted by 13>1 View Post
            I think the coaching staff would like to get the ball into Ty Brooks' hands a bit more than last week, as they probably limited him a bit against UNI due to the hamstring injury he came back from. He's a different type of runner than Lance as I think Ty prefers to head straight to the edge, where Lance could go up the middle and make guys miss at the next level. Bruce should be able to carry the load as up until this point the rotation has probably kept him a bit more fresh, and he's healthy (knock on wood). I'm equally as concerned about Seth and what he'll do when given the ball, but maybe even a bit more concerned about what he'll do when he's not getting the ball ie picking up blitzes and adjusting for audibles. I'm also excited about a new face coming along 8 games into the season and what he can bring to the team.
            Is it sad that I LOL'ed when an opposing fan said he was worried about an inexperienced RB "picking up blitz's"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I completely agree the way to beat NDSU will be to stack the line on 1st and 2nd down. You have to force Stick to beat you. Coach K pretty much has said they way to beat SDSU is to hold the ball, and pound the rock. It is kind of funny how little real "mystery" there is to this game.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                Is it sad that I LOL'ed when an opposing fan said he was worried about an inexperienced RB "picking up blitz's"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
                I've seen a few JackRabbit games this year, but I'm not sure how regularly they blitz. I'm assuming you LOL'd because it doesn't happen very often?

Comment

Originally posted by 13>1 View Post
                  I've seen a few JackRabbit games this year, but I'm not sure how regularly they blitz. I'm assuming you LOL'd because it doesn't happen very often?
                  Yes, very much so. Although it seemed like we blitzed more against WIU than we have all year. It seems like our defensive play calling is completely dependent on the score of the game. If it's a close game or we are down, the play calling is VERY vanilla and super conservative, as to not give up any big plays that would widen a lead or let a team take the lead. Where as if we get up by a couple of scores, we take more chances, which usually leads to good things (force the opponent into mistakes, turnovers, etc.). The most important of those good things being our defense getting off the field quickly, whether that be due to a turnover, punt, or even the other team scoring, at least the other team isn't grinding away at a soft defense. Not sure why they haven't been able to spot these trends and adjust play calling accordingly.

Comment

The thing with ndsu is they play more as a team then anyone. Other teams I think have great talent and players as much as ndsu does. But ndsu lines work as one cohesive unit. (Band members might appreciate that one). Offense and D defense line look as one. They control the ball and don't do anything to fancy. They add a wrinkle here and there but you sort of know ndsu game plan. Hope we come with a wrinkle or 2 since we will need it.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
                      I completely agree the way to beat NDSU will be to stack the line on 1st and 2nd down. You have to force Stick to beat you. Coach K pretty much has said they way to beat SDSU is to hold the ball, and pound the rock. It is kind of funny how little real "mystery" there is to this game.
                      When teams have played each other as often as NDSU/SDSU/USD have there really aren't any surprises. It comes down to execution of the game plan and I think that is where NDSU is so much better at than anyone in the country. They force teams to play the game they want to play. SDSU was successful last year in the dome because TC screwed up their game plan and even then it took a couple great individual plays (Dallas and Jake) to win at the last second.

SDSU has to stop the run on 1st and 2nd down. I am willing to take my chances on Stick having to make plays on 2nd and 3rd and long. If NDSU's yards to gain on 3rd down is at 4 yards or less, SDSU is in trouble. I also don't think that SDSU will have great success sustaining long drives to score. NDSU's defense is too good to be able to have those 13 or 14 play drives.

If SDSU comes to play from the opening kickoff I like their chances. I never felt as confident when we were a run-first offense because of NDSU's size on the line. Having more of a pass first option, if we can protect TC, evens things out in my mind.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                        When teams have played each other as often as NDSU/SDSU/USD have there really aren't any surprises. It comes down to execution of the game plan and I think that is where NDSU is so much better at than anyone in the country. They force teams to play the game they want to play. SDSU was successful last year in the dome because TC screwed up their game plan and even then it took a couple great individual plays (Dallas and Jake) to win at the last second.

SDSU has to stop the run on 1st and 2nd down. I am willing to take my chances on Stick having to make plays on 2nd and 3rd and long. If NDSU's yards to gain on 3rd down is at 4 yards or less, SDSU is in trouble. I also don't think that SDSU will have great success sustaining long drives to score. NDSU's defense is too good to be able to have those 13 or 14 play drives.

If SDSU comes to play from the opening kickoff I like their chances. I never felt as confident when we were a run-first offense because of NDSU's size on the line. Having more of a pass first option, if we can protect TC, evens things out in my mind.

I agree, but in the playoff game last year, the D forced multiple 3rd and longs and got picked apart to move the chains. That kind of situation is a back breaker. If NDSU is converting 3rd and longs after we've forced them into it, it's going to rinse and repeat from December. Hope we can hold them to 3rd and long and find some creative ways to get off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                          I agree, but in the playoff game last year, the D forced multiple 3rd and longs and got picked apart to move the chains. That kind of situation is a back breaker. If NDSU is converting 3rd and longs after we've forced them into it, it's going to rinse and repeat from December. Hope we can hold them to 3rd and long and find some creative ways to get off the field.
                          I think that a third and long outside on Saturday might be a little more challenging that inside the dome.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                            I agree, but in the playoff game last year, the D forced multiple 3rd and longs and got picked apart to move the chains. That kind of situation is a back breaker. If NDSU is converting 3rd and longs after we've forced them into it, it's going to rinse and repeat from December. Hope we find can hold them to 3rd and long and find some creative ways to get off the field.
                            We have to get pressure on 3rd and long. I know the coaches don't trust them to be every down players but Tolu and Callender are still the best pure pass rushers on the team. Will the coaches give either of these guys a chance this week? Will the coaches use a spy to keep Stick's rushing yards in check? We can't sit back in that damn zone and watch Urzendowski find the holes. Get pressure on Stick and don't allow him to scan all over the field. The playoff loss was the most frustrating game I have ever watched live. I'm with the folks that would rather take the chance of giving up a long touchdown once or twice but getting stops, sacks, or turnovers the rest of the time if they apply pressure.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

We have to get pressure on 3rd and long. I know the coaches don't trust them to be every down players but Tolu and Callender are still the best pure pass rushers on the team. Will the coaches give either of these guys a chance this week? Will the coaches use a spy to keep Stick's rushing yards in check? We can't sit back in that damn zone and watch Urzendowski find the holes. Get pressure on Stick and don't allow him to scan all over the field. The playoff loss was the most frustrating game I have ever watched live. I'm with the folks that would rather take the chance of giving up a long touchdown once or twice but getting stops, sacks, or turnovers the rest of the time if they apply pressure.
                              Agreed. I'm not sure if I'm more worried about NDSU or the game clock for this Saturday...

Comment

Basically we need to have a good strategy going into the game and throughout the game. And we need to play hard for 4 quarters. Countless times we've been competitive in the first half to only get slaughtered in the 2nd. I assume NDSU will try to pound the rock and eat up clock and assuming our base defense doesn't neutralize it enough we have to sell out on the run to some extent. A spy on Stick sounds like a good idea. Hopefully the secondary can realize the down and distance and play smart. I am very excite for this game

IMG_2235.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X