Preseason game #1 vs Moorhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preseason game #1 vs Moorhead

Flaata is out for a few weeks, recuperating from minor knee surgery. She should be able to contribute at the five this year. It's her chance to have a big impact.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      Flaata is out for a few weeks, recuperating from minor knee surgery. She should be able to contribute at the five this year. It's her chance to have a big impact.
      Flatta told me she is out 4-6 weeks. As for the game, good performances by a lot of people, but let me tell you...IMO Maya Selland is ready to play college basketball!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        Six votes for the Jacks in the first USA Today Coaches Poll. The potential is definitely high for what appears likely to be our deepest lineup in several years.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa...s-poll/2017/1/
        I noticed Florida Gulf Coast was on there, but no Green Bay. Did they lose a lot of seniors/transfers or something? They're usually one of the best mid-majors and usually get the most recognition in national polls.

(Also needed to point out the Jacks have more points than Amy's Huskers.)
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Tracey and Lexi really struggled shooting the ball last season. Lexi looked really good last night. Of course she came up with her steals and Moorhead had a backup PG who couldn't bring the ball up the court because of Lexi's pressure but her shot was what impressed me most. I really hope she can keep it up. Tracey struggled again last night but it early so we will see what's up.
          In the first half, SDSU played one-on-one post defense but in the second half they double teamed the post almost every time the ball was passed into the post. I don't know if SDSU doesn't have a true C like Ober or if they were just trying some things. Double teaming the post worked last night but there is a lot of scrambling going on to cover other players when that happens.
          I don't know if Tagyn is a 3-point shooter or not. She was in the competition at the midnight madness(or whatever it was called) but she only had 3 points. That was the lowest by quite a bit. She was also 0-2 last night. I hope she just struggled on those 2 nights but we will see. She does seem to have a feel for the game and looked more athletic that most of our posts last night so we will see (I've never seen her play before).
          Macy was 0-4 on 3-pointers last night too. She won the 3-point contest last year and we know she can shoot it so I'm not too worried about that, yet.
          It does look like SDSU might be able to go about 10 deep like they have been able to in years past. The last couple of years they were 7 and 6 players deep.

Comment

Some quick thoughts after being at the game:

Macy- looked pretty good overall. However, on one MSU fast break Macy was trying to get back and just didn't look quite right. Also had a drive where she went down awkwardly and I think there was a good 5 seconds where no one in Frost breathed. Think she will be fine going forward, but I'm sure it's going to take her a while to trust that things are good with the knee and to get into game shape. Really looked good shooting the ball which is encouraging.

Maddy G- is starting right where she left off. In the first half ugliness which consisted of everyone just jacking up 3's, Maddy was the only one who was actually making any. Had 2 that were halfway down and came out or she would have had an even better game.

Ellie T- typical game as well. Good stat line with making some nice moves down low. Also missed a couple of easy layups which is par for the course.

Lexi- overall was very disruptive on defense. Actually started to use her hands a bit (ala Gabby Boevert) and was actually getting some steals. Also hit a wide open 3, so that is encouraging. Otherwise it was obvious MSU doesn't have the playbook on Lexi as she was able to get to the rim a few times on nice moves. Overall a pleasant surprise (for me at least) to start the year. It should be noted that once she takes a shot from outside 2 feet it was U.G.L.Y.

Tagyn L- solid first start I thought to Tagyn. Not a lot of scoring, but very solid defensively. She is an athletic player and blocked a couple of shots (one was called a foul but looked very clearly clean). Had a nice move from the post. I suspect good things moving forward for Tagyn.

All in all very pleased with the starters. Solid core, but interesting having Macy operate essentially as a point 3. I think coach was experimenting to see how this worked out. I suspect this won't be our best 5 for very long because:

Myah Selland- started off a bit shaky but did have a nice drive and dish. However in the 2nd half it looked like a switch went off and she began to dominate. Was able to get to the rim almost at will. She did have a couple of defensive lapses which isn't surprising considering she game from a zone scheme is HS that was designed to let her rest. Once that gets cleaned up, look out! If coach decides he wants Macy at the point, I suspect Myah slides into Lexi's spot. I'm excited to watch 2 years of Myah and Macy together!

Tylee Irwin- I was very surprised when she was in the first group to come off the bench (with Myah and Chynna). However, on one of the first couple of possessions she was in she took the ball right to the rim with a nice finish and justified why coach had her in early. She is rail thin but very active and has good body control. Had another nice drive in the 2nd half as well as knocking down an open 3. Very impressive start to her career and makes me think this bench is going to be even better than we were hoping for.

Chynna S- looked very good after 2 years off. Operated very well out of the post and had a couple of nice turn around finger rolls in the 2nd half. Defensively was very active as well. She will be a great player off the bench for us. I can do without the bicep flex to the bench after the hoop and foul however...

Rylie CJ- was the 4th player off the bench. She isn't super athletic, but was just a rock solid player out there. Sort of one of the those players that you don't notice because she doesn't do anything flashy but then also doesn't do anything bad that makes you groan. Just goes out there and quietly is very solid and ends up helping your team win. Nice add for the team and will probably have a couple of really nice games this year that help us win games.

Sydney Tracy- from our #1 option off the bench last year to be a player who is probably going to get limited minutes. Syd looked good defensively and had good spacing with defensive help. Coach was implementing some double team trapping of the post in the 2nd half and Syd's long arms made life miserable for the MSU post a couple of times. She didn't look to score much in this game, so don't know how much improvement there has been in this part of her game from last year.

Sydney Palmer- Syd looks to be losing a grip on much PT on this team. I still feel like she just doesn't really have a position. She doesn't seem athletic enough to play the 3, but isn't tall enough to be a 4. She is a solid defender, but ends up just not being big enough to stop her player from shooting over the top of her in the end. Unfortunately for the Pierre native, better players have arrived and her role on this team appears to be minimal going forward.

Lindsey T- got a little PT towards the end and I thought did a nice job. Ran the offense from the point and was aggressive from the moment she stepped on the court. Knocked down a 3 and drove for a mid range jumper that hit the heel of the rim. Probably appears to be good enough to play, but wonder if there is some thought to redshirt her since the team is already very deep.

Megan B- played very limited minutes, so again don't think she is going to have much impact on this team. Looked fine when she was in there. Rushed one shot from down low and missed badly, but hit a nice bank shot the next time down the court. Could certainly offer some production down low, but again just so many people in front of her right now.

Tiffany F- on crutches and sounds like she may be out for awhile. Honestly probably saw as much action tonight as she can expect the rest of the season. Probably a little harsh, but I just can't envision a reason outside of being up/down by 30 that you would want her in the game over any of the players listed above.

The biggest stat to me was 42, which is the number of bench points we had in this game. I remember one game last year where I think we had 27, but don't believe anything more than that (I haven't looked too hard on that). If we can consistently get 20+ points from our bench, that is going to go a long way to improving our result over last season. Now I realize this was one game against a D2 opponent, so we'll see how things go moving forward. This MSU team did however probably have better post play than we will see for most of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
              I noticed Florida Gulf Coast was on there, but no Green Bay. Did they lose a lot of seniors/transfers or something? They're usually one of the best mid-majors and usually get the most recognition in national polls.

(Also needed to point out the Jacks have more points than Amy's Huskers.)
              I was wondering the same thing,why isn't there any recognition for UWGB this year...weird

Comment

Excellent breakdown SteelSD...although I'll allow the flexing from Chynna. It's come full circle for her and she has a great personality. What was it, something like 134 weeks since she played a somewhat meaningful BB game. I think she's earned at least a little leeway.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                  Some quick thoughts after being at the game:

Macy- Really looked good shooting the ball which is encouraging.

Maddy G- is starting right where she left off. In the first half ugliness which consisted of everyone just jacking up 3's, Maddy was the only one who was actually making any. Had 2 that were halfway down and came out or she would have had an even better game.
                  Macy- Looked really good with her midrange jump shot. You don't see that shot very often but she was solid with that. I know she will hit several 3's this season(0-4 last night). If/when she does that, she will be able to hit 3's, the midrange jumper and get to the rim. You have to love a player that can be a threat for anywhere on the court.

Maddy- I think Maddy was 0-4 about half way through the second quarter and then she drove and hit a midrange jumper from around the free throw line. After that, she caught fire. I think she went 5-6 from there on out.

Comment

I spoke with Lindsey Theuninck's Mom last night before the game and she told me she was asked to redshirt this year. She has to let AJ know by Nov 9 I believe but sounded like she was leaning towards the redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                      Excellent breakdown SteelSD...although I'll allow the flexing from Chynna. It's come full circle for her and she has a great personality. What was it, something like 134 weeks since she played a somewhat meaningful BB game. I think she's earned at least a little leeway.
                      Very true, I like someone who brings positive energy. Loved that about Ober last year and think we need someone on the team who can bring some fire. Guess I would prefer less of a "look at me" kind of display, but love players bringing excitement.

Comment

The Jacks got out-rebounded 36-35. Unless they start shooting field goals at about a 90 percent clip, that stat line will have to improve as the competition gets tougher. That's where Flaata might be able to help.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                          Very true, I like someone who brings positive energy. Loved that about Ober last year and think we need someone on the team who can bring some fire. Guess I would prefer less of a "look at me" kind of display, but love players bringing excitement.
                          Agreed, but knowing Chynna’s personality she was having fun versus “look at me”. Although I wasn’t at the game...I’d be surprised if she’s become that way though. Exciting times for WBB, MBB and wrestling...

Comment

Exhibition games are fun,don't really count so everyone can play more freely with a lot less pressure.I really want to see them play against NJIT at Frost (first real game against Div 1 opponent) to really get an idea on what we can be going forward in the season,also, first tough road game against George,in Wash DC

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              The Jacks got out-rebounded 36-35. Unless they start shooting field goals at about a 90 percent clip, that stat line will have to improve as the competition gets tougher. That's where Flaata might be able to help.
                              I think rebounding can be a misleading stat. The first half MSU was able to get 16 defensive boards when we were jacking up 3's and shooting 37%. The 2nd half we shot 58% and they got 8 defensive boards. Now granted they were better on the offensive glass in the 2nd half, but think some of that was we were digging deeper in the bench. Also, this is not a typical D2 front line with a 6'3" center and a couple of 6'2" girls getting quality minutes. Certainly something I am sure AJ will take from the game to motivate moving forward. As for whether Flaata can help with that, we may just have agree to disagree the extra rebounding offsets the complete lack of offense capabilities. She will probably get a chance once healthy, so I will remain skeptically pseudo-optimistic that she has improved this part of her game over the offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                                Exhibition games are fun,don't really count so everyone can play more freely with a lot less pressure.I really want to see them play against NJIT at Frost (first real game against Div 1 opponent) to really get an idea on what we can be going forward in the season,also, first tough road game against George,in Wash DC
                                Possibly true, but I'm not sure that NJIT is actually a better team than MSU was. NJIT has one 6'2" girl, MSU had 4 with at least a couple of these being girls who could definitely start in the Summit. MSU was also missing their 2nd leading scorer from last year due to illness, so we didn't get to see them at their full and they had it at a 5 point game in the 3rd quarter. But certainly will take more enjoyment in games that actually count for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X