Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Misery State Bears

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    I would gladly trade getting gashed for some big plays and TDs for some sacks, INTs, and quick 3 and outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wasn't that wasnt sort of happened Saturday? Gave up some big plays.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Wasn't that wasnt sort of happened Saturday? Gave up some big plays.
      Yes, but you shouldn't give up that many points to Missouri State, whether you're playing an aggressive defensive style or not.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        Yes, but you shouldn't give up that many points to Missouri State, whether you're playing an aggressive defensive style or not.
        We gave up 20 first half points in the first half on defense, entirely too much to Missouri State. The long TD run had Hildahl totally displaced and pushed out and the OLB bit inside and Ballster got caught out of position. You can say in the photo below that Ballster is pointing left clearly biting the wrong direction. Rozeboom was a step late and got caught in the wash a little bit. Soulek was there but it would have been a big play. Seeing a DT totally get blown up and shoved outside is really concerning at this stage of the season. Also seeing a veteran safety totally fooled is a bad sign. Our LBs have to be damn near perfect with the lack of production out of our defensive line. If you want to watch the replay of this play, it is at the 55:25 mark and can be watched for free on ESPN3.

Another MSU first half score was setup when MSU got Earl in the slot matched-up against Zy and hit it for a 44 yard gain. Zy has improved alot in year 2 but Malik Earl will win that match-up more times then not.

I thought we looked a lot better in the second half, giving up 3 points. On the long run by the QB, we had an OLB and a safety take the same gap leaving one wide open.

The first half issue is entirely physical and I'm concerned about that. The second half big run is a mistake by two inexperienced players. Chalk that one up to a learning moment, fortunately it came in a game where the outcome was already decided.
        Outside of the two long runs we still gave up 105 yards on 32 attempts which is a 3.28ypc average. Not great, not terrible.
        Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 10-23-2017, 08:48 AM.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          We gave up 20 first half points in the first half on defense, entirely too much to Missouri State. The long TD run had Stacker totally displaced and pushed out and the OLB bit inside and Ballster got caught out of position. You can say in the photo below that Ballster is pointing left clearly biting the wrong direction. Rozeboom was a step late and got caught in the wash a little bit. Soulek was there but it would have been a big play. Seeing a DT totally get blown up and shoved outside is really concerning at this stage of the season. Also seeing a veteran safety totally fooled is a bad sign. Our LBs have to be damn near perfect with the lack of production out of our defensive line. If you want to watch the replay of this play, it is at the 55:25 mark.

Another MSU first half score was setup when MSU got Earl in the slot matched-up against Zy and hit it for a 44 yard gain. Zy has improved alot in year 2 but Malik Earl will win that match-up more times then not.

I thought we looked a lot better in the second half, giving up 3 points. On the long run by the QB, we had an OLB and a safety take the same gap leaving one wide open.

The first half issue is entirely physical and I'm concerned about that. The second half big run is a mistake by two inexperienced players. Chalk that one up to a learning moment, fortunately it came in a game where the outcome was already decided.
          Outside of the two long runs we still gave up 105 yards on 32 attempts which is a 3.28ypc average. Not great, not terrible.
          Photobucket is not being your friend, Westside. I get a "please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" message where I think you want a picture to be.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Photobucket is not being your friend, Westside. I get a "please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" message where I think you want a picture to be.
            Is it fixed now? Sorry.

Comment

Appears to be fixed.

Comment

We gave up 20 first half points in the first half on defense, entirely too much to Missouri State. The long TD run had Stacker totally displaced and pushed out and the OLB bit inside and Ballster got caught out of position. You can say in the photo below that Ballster is pointing left clearly biting the wrong direction. Rozeboom was a step late and got caught in the wash a little bit. Soulek was there but it would have been a big play. Seeing a DT totally get blown up and shoved outside is really concerning at this stage of the season. Also seeing a veteran safety totally fooled is a bad sign. Our LBs have to be damn near perfect with the lack of production out of our defensive line. If you want to watch the replay of this play, it is at the 55:25 mark and can be watched for free on ESPN3.

Also, check out our CB at the bottom left of the screen. I'm not going to nit pick a whole bunch because I am assuming that he was coached to "your only job is WR". But, it just seems goofy to me to have him in a position to not even be able to read run. Shoot, even if Balster goofs up and gets fooled, in my opinion a good CB should be able to come off his WR and make a play when he reads run. In the position that our CB was in on this play, he doesn't even have the ability to help out. Again, I assume that this is a scheme thing, a coaching decision.

Another point though. Their RB made a great read. The OL was blocking everyone left, looked like the play was initially going right -- which our players read correctly and had stuffed, however, because our DL got destroyed and our backside CB had his eyes to the sideline, there was no backside help and the RB was able to slip through to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
                  Also, check out our CB at the bottom left of the screen. I'm not going to nit pick a whole bunch because I am assuming that he was coached to "your only job is WR". But, it just seems goofy to me to have him in a position to not even be able to read run. Shoot, even if Balster goofs up and gets fooled, in my opinion a good CB should be able to come off his WR and make a play when he reads run. In the position that our CB was in on this play, he doesn't even have the ability to help out. Again, I assume that this is a scheme thing, a coaching decision.
                  On the replay, it is Jordan Brown matched up with Earl in 1 on 1 man coverage. No way he can help with the run. I'd rather have him like this instead of playing a zone that gets ripped apart.

Comment

On the replay, it is Jordan Brown matched up with Earl in 1 on 1 man coverage. No way he can help with the run. I'd rather have him like this instead of playing a zone that gets ripped apart.
                    I understand that, but when we play NDSU and USD we're going to need some extra help to stop the run. In 2009 & 2012, those years we had pretty good defenses; I don't think we played man too much those years. I know for a fact in 2009 we were a heavy Cover II team; of course, we also had Danny Batten so opposing QB's couldn't wait too long for an opportunity to pick apart the zone.

It all comes back to the DL. We need someone to step up.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
                      It all comes back to the DL. We need someone to step up.
                      Absolutely! ANYONE. However, I'm not sure there is anyone else to try at the DT position next to Kellen.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                        I would gladly trade getting gashed for some big plays and TDs for some sacks, INTs, and quick 3 and outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        This makes no sense to me...

I would like to see more sacks, INTs, and 3 and outs, but I'm not trading actual scores to get them...
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          This makes no sense to me...

I would like to see more sacks, INTs, and 3 and outs, but I'm not trading actual scores to get them...
                          I believe the point is sometimes we're going to win when being aggressive but we may lose occasionally. I for one feel we win(sacks, INTs, 3 & outs) far more than we lose(giving up a long td play). A quick 57 yd TD run versus a 10 play 8 min drive that results in a TD is far better. Whether you're discussing mental or physical makeup of a D.

Comment

Absolutely! ANYONE. However, I'm not sure there is anyone else to try at the DT position next to Kellen.
                            I haven't seen it but on passing downs has Earith ever shifted inside? He seems stout enough to rush from that spot...this doesn't fix the run downs. Sad thing is next year we don't really have anyone ready to step up to fill in for either positions.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              The defense gave up 23 points right? How many in the second half? Misery states offense is respectable.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                The defense gave up 23 points right? How many in the second half? Misery states offense is respectable.
                                30, 27 in the first half. Yes, they played like they should in the 2nd half. The problem is, there's no consistency.

Comment

Working...
                                X