Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Misery State Bears

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    No kidding. This tells us abut as much as a win over Drake or Duquesne, IMO.
    It was still nice to see Dallas being Dallas, TC running the speed option, and the defense playing better in the 2nd half. Agree that MSU is not great but there are still positives to take from this game. Still a lot to get better at though too but it was a step in the right direction in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
      It was still nice to see Dallas being Dallas, TC running the speed option, and the defense playing better in the 2nd half. Agree that MSU is not great but there are still positives to take from this game. Still a lot to get better at though too but it was a step in the right direction in my opinion
      I agree there were positives. But the performance in the first half is what concerns me the most. We ended up wearing down an inferior team as we should. If we played like that in the first half against USD, NDSU, Illst, or even Western it would have been ugly.

I hope that Daniel has earned the RB spot as I think he's our best back. I liked seeing Dallas get his yards, but I'm still concerned with Jake. TC's accuracy still wasn't there IMO.

A win is a win. But I'm not sure I feel any more confidence than I did before it.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        I agree there were positives. But the performance in the first half is what concerns me the most. We ended up wearing down an inferior team as we should. If we played like that in the first half against USD, NDSU, Illst, or even Western it would have been ugly.

I hope that Daniel has earned the RB spot as I think he's our best back. I liked seeing Dallas get his yards, but I'm still concerned with Jake. TC's accuracy still wasn't there IMO.

A win is a win. But I'm not sure I feel any more confidence than I did before it.
        Agreed. D played well in the second half, but I think the writing is on the wall for that side of the ball this year. They are young and when they play well, they look decent. When they dont, they're just terrible. And that inconsistency has been a theme.

I think whoever said we need to win games via shootout is spot on for this year. When we play a team with a lock down d that we can't match scores with, we are in big trouble.
        Based on the schedule ahead, all four play good d. It'll be interesting to see what we can dial up to overcome that.

Comment

I am with other posters in that I don't think this game tells us much. D looked pretty soft and the offense looked like it was scoring a ton of points against a terrible defense. We looked pretty good against one of the worst if not the worst teams in the league.

Seems like we focus on the deep routes too much. TCs accuracy is off and 2/3 and 10s are rough. I think focusing on shorter routes and getting positive yards would help this offense against better teams. Then once we get momentum then try it deep.

Comment

At this point of the season you pretty much "are what you are" and we're below average defensively. It's a good thing Goedert had a breakout game because we're going to need all the offense we can get in the brutal homestretch of this season. I think we're going to have to average 35+ points over the next four games to have a shot at the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              At this point of the season you pretty much "are what you are" and we're below average defensively. It's a good thing Goedert had a breakout game because we're going to need all the offense we can get in the brutal homestretch of this season. I think we're going to have to average 35+ points over the next four games to have a shot at the playoffs.
              The frustrating part is that this offense should be able to put up those numbers, but for whatever reason they just can't execute against a good team. Maybe it is the fact the TC isn't running as much, maybe it is the injuries to Jake and Dallas, or maybe it is the game plan.

This year I knew I would be worried about the defense and I was prepared for that. The lack of execution on the other side of the ball is what has upset me.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Still wondering why Farina didn't make the trip. I understand he would have had to sit out the first half, but just seems odd that a starting senior wouldn't even make the trip with the team

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                  Still wondering why Farina didn't make the trip. I understand he would have had to sit out the first half, but just seems odd that a starting senior wouldn't even make the trip with the team
                  I was wondering the same thing. I believe Backhaus made the trip and they knew he wasn't going to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                    I was wondering the same thing. I believe Backhaus made the trip and they knew he wasn't going to play.
                    One thought may be due to depth considering only so many players can travel. Perhaps with backhaus being out that they needed more linebacker depth for the game and he was out 1st half anyways with enough safeties dresses for the whole fame.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                      One thought may be due to depth considering only so many players can travel. Perhaps with backhaus being out that they needed more linebacker depth for the game and he was out 1st half anyways with enough safeties dresses for the whole fame.
                      I think that is exactly why but isn't odd that he wouldn't at least travel and not dress?

Comment

I think many fans thought the defense would be young, inexperienced and probably not great this year. What I didn’t expect is playing a vanilla defense, non aggressive, read defense week after week. The defense has nothing to lose by changing things up to try and play better, confuse opposing offense or mixing up blitzes for pressure this year. I don’t buy into status quo unless it’s pretty good results and right now the defense struggles for many reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                          I think many fans thought the defense would be young, inexperienced and probably not great this year. What I didn’t expect is playing a vanilla defense, non aggressive, read defense week after week. The defense has nothing to lose by changing things up to try and play better, confuse opposing offense or mixing up blitzes for pressure this year. I don’t buy into status quo unless it’s pretty good results and right now the defense struggles for many reasons.
                          Yeah, I don’t understand why we do t take some chances and play aggressively, but we haven’t done that ever really though so I don’t know why I’m waiting for it to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                            Matt Zimmer mentioned in today's SDSU notebook that Slade's return also played a role in Farina not making the trip

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                              The inexperience you reference is one reason they may be keeping things simple, rightly or wrongly. As for having nothing to lose, said inexperience can leave defense susceptible to big plays if "green" defenders are out of position on a blitz, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                                The inexperience you reference is one reason they may be keeping things simple, rightly or wrongly. As for having nothing to lose, said inexperience can leave defense susceptible to big plays if "green" defenders are out of position on a blitz, etc.
                                I would gladly trade getting gashed for some big plays and TDs for some sacks, INTs, and quick 3 and outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X