Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoffs?!

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    The only thing good about USD playing well is the chance that we could get paired up with them instead of NDSU. Not that I'm scared of NDSU, but it would be really nice to not be fed to Fargo again.
    Agreed with this but there is also certainly the chance we get sent to Vermillion (I cringe just typing that) as well. But let's speculate about that in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      Agreed with this but there is also certainly the chance we get sent to Vermillion (I cringe just typing that) as well. But let's speculate about that in a few weeks.
      I would rather get sent to Vermillion than Fargo.

Comment

I would rather get sent to Vermillion than Fargo.
        You should clarify for an away playoff football game...other than that I could see no reason to want to get sent to Vermillion over Fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          You should clarify for an away playoff football game...other than that I could see no reason to want to get sent to Vermillion over Fargo.
          Accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            Very true. If I'm in Vermillion and SDSU isn't playing there, something has gone horribly wrong.

Comment

I got "sent" to Vermillion just yesterday - to teach a class at USD. I made sure to wear a nice blue shirt and dropped a little SDSU alum knowledge on those yotes!

We're a LONG way from being able to count on qualifying, but regarding a playoff road game... I'd say that our odds of winning would be higher in Vermillion. It's wise to stay as far away as possible from a solid running/defensive team like you'll find in Fargo. I've seen that show way too many times.

Comment

I think this weeks game in Macomb will ultimately decide whether we qualify this year. Win and I think we qualify, as home against isu-r is a game we should we win (I know, so was uni). Lose and we need to beat isu-r plus ndsu or usd, that's a tough task.

If we win this weekend, beat isu-r and either usd or ndsu, we'd be 8-3. Any chance we'd sneak in as a top 8 seed? We were 8-3 last year but had an fbs loss. Not sure that we would this year, but I'm still hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by He hate me View Post
                  I think this weeks game in Macomb will ultimately decide whether we qualify this year. Win and I think we qualify, as home against isu-r is a game we should we win (I know, so was uni). Lose and we need to beat isu-r plus ndsu or usd, that's a tough task.

If we win this weekend, beat isu-r and either usd or ndsu, we'd be 8-3. Any chance we'd sneak in as a top 8 seed? We were 8-3 last year but had an fbs loss. Not sure that we would this year, but I'm still hoping.
                  I think its possible 8-3 gets us a seed as long as we win against USD and they lose to NDSU. That would put us both at 8-3 and we would have the head to head. 9-2 and I honestly think we would be a top 4 seed but the chances of us winning our next 4 seem pretty slim. If we have a dominant performance this weekend 8-3 could definitely happen. If we have another stinker 6-5 or 5-6 could definitely happen. We will learn a lot about our team and what to expect for the rest of the season on Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                    I think its possible 8-3 gets us a seed as long as we win against USD and they lose to NDSU. That would put us both at 8-3 and we would have the head to head. 9-2 and I honestly think we would be a top 4 seed but the chances of us winning our next 4 seem pretty slim. If we have a dominant performance this weekend 8-3 could definitely happen. If we have another stinker 6-5 or 5-6 could definitely happen. We will learn a lot about our team and what to expect for the rest of the season on Saturday
                    I mean at this point I'm only looking at 1-0 but I feel its 50/50 we lose out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

According to NCAA's FCS twitter account:

"NCAA DI Football Championship Committee to announce Top 10 teams on Thursday, Nov. 2 on @ESPNU"

If we win on Saturday, it will be interesting to see if we are on this list and where we are.

Comment

According to NCAA's FCS twitter account:

"NCAA DI Football Championship Committee to announce Top 10 teams on Thursday, Nov. 2 on @ESPNU"

If we win on Saturday, it will be interesting to see if we are on this list and where we are.

I'm guessing that if we do win, we'll come it at number 10. We are 11th or 8th in the two polls right now, and WIU is 10th (ahead of us) in the stats poll and 14th (behind us) in the coaches poll. If we win that, it'll be a top 15 win either way, and there would be a slot opening ahead of us. YSU plays ISUr this saturday, and if the penguins go down, they won't be ahead of us either at that point. Finally, NCA&T is ranked above us in both polls, but they do not participate in the playoffs, so I'm not sure that they can even be included in the power rankings, as it's meant to project seeding. I know those two polls aren't the only metric used when they come up with the power seeding poll, but that should give an indication of where we are at relative to some of the teams that will likely be included. Should we win on Saturday, I'd be surprised if we aren't included, based simply on where we are in the polls, who's ahead of us that will/may lose, and some teams not being eligible to be included (presumably).

For reference, last year, we weren't included in the first two polls that came out. The final week of the season, we cracked the top ten. And then we won our last game and a couple of teams ahead of lost on the last weekend, vaulting us into the top 8. Point being, even last year we ended up seeded even though we weren't in the poll 66.6% of the time, and were outside the range of seeding for the final third of the rankings.

Comment

The playoff seeding poll came out last night, and the Jacks checked in at number 10.

1. JMU
                          2. NDSU
                          3. Jacksonville State
                          4. Central Arkansas
                          5. USD
                          6. Sam Houston
                          7. Elon
                          8. Wofford
                          9. Northern Arizona
                          10. SDSU

In my opinion, our position in this poll right now tells me that the jacks could go 2-1 over the next three weeks and definitely be in consideation for a 7 or 8 seed. If we are going to lose another game, I think losing to NDSU will serve us better because it 1)Gives us more time to work our way back up, and 2) would mean that we would beat USD, who is currently ahead of us, thus freeing up a spot. Also, Elon and JMU still need to play each other, and I think NAU still has a tough game or two left. Lots of season left, and lots of shuffling still to go, but I think this poll should give some hope for getting a first round bye. Of course, winning out would all but assure that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                            The playoff seeding poll came out last night, and the Jacks checked in at number 10.

1. JMU
                            2. NDSU
                            3. Jacksonville State
                            4. Central Arkansas
                            5. USD
                            6. Sam Houston
                            7. Elon
                            8. Wofford
                            9. Northern Arizona
                            10. SDSU

In my opinion, our position in this poll right now tells me that the jacks could go 2-1 over the next three weeks and definitely be in consideation for a 7 or 8 seed. If we are going to lose another game, I think losing to NDSU will serve us better because it 1)Gives us more time to work our way back up, and 2) would mean that we would beat USD, who is currently ahead of us, thus freeing up a spot. Also, Elon and JMU still need to play each other, and I think NAU still has a tough game or two left. Lots of season left, and lots of shuffling still to go, but I think this poll should give some hope for getting a first round bye. Of course, winning out would all but assure that too.
                            It also tells me that, if the team wins out, they could be in the conversation as one of the top 4. I don't think they would end up getting it as I think we would top out at maybe #5.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              It also tells me that, if the team wins out, they could be in the conversation as one of the top 4. I don't think they would end up getting it as I think we would top out at maybe #5.
                              Agreed. 3,4, and 6 are just about a lock in theit current position, barring some big upsets. They've all already played their toughest games. You have to think that ndsu and jmu are locked at 1 and 2, assuming both go at least 2 and 1 down the stretch. Wofford plays in a tougher conference, and they haven't looked dominant, so they could still slip up. Elon still has jmu, and a loss there might knock them out of seeding since they played a relatively soft CAA schedule this year due to rotations. NAU still has souther utah at the end of the year. And of course, a lot is still up in the air with USD. I think there are about 3 spots in the top 8 that are likely to shuffle around. We just have to hope the right teams lose at the right time.

A win tomorrow would be HUGE for setting us up for a seed. Win tomorrow, and we should be able to go 1-1 to finish and still get a bye.

Comment

Working...
                              X