• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoffs?!

Had to be done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

sometimes all you can do is laugh.

Comment

Yeah I’m not seeing the playoffs right now. And if we do we will get sent to Montana and likely fed into vermintown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
        The Yotes are much more than a one trick pony. Their a very good team. They have the 3rd best scoring defense in the league, which is pretty good when you consider they have the highest scoring offense so opponents are always playing catch-up. They lead the league in sacks and TFL. They are extremely aggressive on defense, and honestly its fun to watch.

I'm going to go shower now after typing that
        Agreed. Their QB is a legit star but there are plenty of solid pieces surrounding him. We're going to have to up our game to avoid getting hammered in Vermillion.

The playoffs look like a long shot to me, but I've said that at the halfway mark of the season several times in the last 6 or 8 years and been proven wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
          The correct answer is Never. I'd be interested in your explanation as to your hypothesis, Jake, as I like to know what you're thinking, but I'm confident in the answer.
          Let me begin my explanation by being illogical (at least according to some of the board's brethren) -- I seriously think the Jacks win on 11/4, so I'm pondering who I would want to win between the 'Yotes and Bison the following week.

If Jacks win 11/4, then either outcome benefits the Jacks because we would be assured that either the Bison would have at least two conference losses too, or the 'Yotes get what could be their first conference loss, with the Jacks potentially providing the second to end the season. This scenario also means that the Jacks would defeat conference leaders in a three-week span.

Assuming the UNI game was an anomaly, things might not be as bleak for the Jacks as it first appears because there's still games to be played among UNI, YSU, USD, and NDSU that have a fair likelihood of benefitting the Jacks, if the Jacks can turn things around.

Essentially the question was assessing how early folks might be willing to root for the 'Yotes. I confess that I rooted for them against YSU. It was nauseating, but I thought YSU getting a loss was more important (given that the Jacks had lost to them the week before).

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            Let me begin my explanation by being illogical (at least according to some of the board's brethren) -- I seriously think the Jacks win on 11/4, so I'm pondering who I would want to win between the 'Yotes and Bison the following week.

If Jacks win 11/4, then either outcome benefits the Jacks because we would be assured that either the Bison would have at least two conference losses too, or the 'Yotes get what could be their first conference loss, with the Jacks potentially providing the second to end the season. This scenario also means that the Jacks would defeat conference leaders in a three-week span.

Assuming the UNI game was an anomaly, things might not be as bleak for the Jacks as it first appears because there's still games to be played among UNI, YSU, USD, and NDSU that have a fair likelihood of benefitting the Jacks, if the Jacks can turn things around.

Essentially the question was assessing how early folks might be willing to root for the 'Yotes. I confess that I rooted for them against YSU. It was nauseating, but I thought YSU getting a loss was more important (given that the Jacks had lost to them the week before).
            The correct answer is still never!

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
              The correct answer is still never!
              I hear ya, but ... if getting the Jacks into the playoffs and/or a conference title is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Comment

I hear ya, but ... if getting the Jacks into the playoffs and/or a conference title is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
                Nope.......Same answer.

Comment

The only, ONLY way you cheer for USeD is if there is some back alley deal made with the devil that assure the next 10 FCS championships are ours.

...oh and if anyone is negotiating said deal please work in a mens BB and womens BB final 4 appearance and 6 wrestling All Americans with 2 national champions and a top 3 finish...

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                    The only, ONLY way you cheer for USeD is if there is some back alley deal made with the devil that assure the next 10 FCS championships are ours.

...oh and if anyone is negotiating said deal please work in a mens BB and womens BB final 4 appearance and 6 wrestling All Americans with 2 national champions and a top 3 finish...
                    Agreed, never will I cheer for the Yotes. The way we were treated as players by their fans, they trashed the locker room at Frost (back in the 90's), the arrogance of their fan base, etc, NDSU and SDSU have respect for each other, not so much for the other team in the state. They are a VERY good team, and we are going to have to play a nearly perfect game to beat them in that dump of a facility. OK, enough of the trash talk.

Comment

Not sure where else to put it... But I figured I'd look back and see how our non-conference foes are doing.

Duquesne: 3-0 in the NEC, 6-1 overall. 1st place in the NEC. Passed a big test last weekend between St. Francis. Still need to play second place Cent. Connecticut on 11/11.
                      Montana St: 3-2 in the Big Sky, 3-4 overall. 7th place in the Big Sky. Finishing .500 looks like the goal at this point. Still play Montana and NAU.
                      Drake: 3-1 in the Pioneer League, 4-3 overall. 3rd place in the Pioneer. Showdown with 1st place San Diego on Nov. 4th.
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

In spite of all the (at least somewhat rational) doomsday talk here, the team's national standing still appears to be solid. We're still in the top-10 (T-8th) in the coaches poll.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/footbal...s-coaches-poll

The difference between a win and a loss this week is huge. We've already lost tiebreakers to YSU and UNI - adding WIU to that list is a major problem.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                          The Yotes are much more than a one trick pony. Their a very good team. They have the 3rd best scoring defense in the league, which is pretty good when you consider they have the highest scoring offense so opponents are always playing catch-up. They lead the league in sacks and TFL. They are extremely aggressive on defense, and honestly its fun to watch.

I'm going to go shower now after typing that
                          I know that this was typed a week ago but the Yotes are not great on defense in league games(not terrible either). They have allowed 28, 33, 37 and 6 points in each of their league games. If you take out the 6 points Indiana State scored, they are giving up about 33 points/game. I wish SDSU's offense could score that many points consistently.
                          I know what you are saying about teams playing catchup against USD but SDSU fell behind UNI by 17 points and just went into a shell. SDSU's last 4 "drives" against UNI lasted 0:33, 0:39, 1:27 and 0:23 seconds. SDSU was behind, playing catchup and just falling further behind.
                          There are some teams that play better when they have to play catchup and others aren't meant to be throwing the ball (I'm not talking about SDSU). You look at some of the SEC teams and they run the ball and play defense. If they have to throw, they are in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            I know that this was typed a week ago but the Yotes are not great on defense in league games(not terrible either). They have allowed 28, 33, 37 and 6 points in each of their league games. If you take out the 6 points Indiana State scored, they are giving up about 33 points/game. I wish SDSU's offense could score that many points consistently.
                            I know what you are saying about teams playing catchup against USD but SDSU fell behind UNI by 17 points and just went into a shell. SDSU's last 4 "drives" against UNI lasted 0:33, 0:39, 1:27 and 0:23 seconds. SDSU was behind, playing catchup and just falling further behind.
                            There are some teams that play better when they have to play catchup and others aren't meant to be throwing the ball (I'm not talking about SDSU). You look at some of the SEC teams and they run the ball and play defense. If they have to throw, they are in trouble.
                            The USD defense has been promoted by some posters here as one the Jacks should model themselves after because they blitz, play multiple looks, take chances etc... I was surprised when I looked at the Massey rankings, which also rank every team's offense and defense, to see that the Jacks defense is ranked 16th in the FCS, while the Yotes rank 27th.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              The USD defense has been promoted by some posters here as one the Jacks should model themselves after because they blitz, play multiple looks, take chances etc... I was surprised when I looked at the Massey rankings, which also rank every team's offense and defense, to see that the Jacks defense is ranked 16th in the FCS, while the Yotes rank 27th.
                              "Shirley" you jest, reading the board I assumed we were ranked just behind the Little Sisters and losing ground! Go Jacks!!

Comment

The only thing good about USD playing well is the chance that we could get paired up with them instead of NDSU. Not that I'm scared of NDSU, but it would be really nice to not be fed to Fargo again.

Comment

Working...
                                X