Time for Stig to move on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Bison Fan here. Be careful what you wish for. I think Stig is a pretty darn good coach. I completely understand the frustration of being so close but not yet able to get over the hump, but I think switching coaches would cause some disruption and cost momentum.

The need to pull so many shirts was, I think, a combination of knowing he lacked depth as well as knowing he had pretty damn good (in a few cases excellent) starters and giving it his best shot. It should be a bit concerning to lack that much depth after a pretty strong run of seasons. I'm not familiar with the injury/transfer situation so I'm guessing that played into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      If the Hobo Day had more favorable results, would we discussing how Stig’s career ends? I don’t think so, emotions were stirred and feelings and concerns were vented here on this board. I am cool but do we have all the facts.
      We wouldn't, but that didn't happen. If what happened was an anomaly, this thread doesn't get started. The problem is, it's happened many times before and the reasons why it happens seem to be the same. It's fair to ask questions and bring up concerns. Having some success does not make you immune to discussions like this. Even the best coaches eventually have conversations like this come up.

Comment

Originally posted by maplegroveguy View Post
        Bison Fan here. Be careful what you wish for. I think Stig is a pretty darn good coach. I completely understand the frustration of being so close but not yet able to get over the hump, but I think switching coaches would cause some disruption and cost momentum.

The need to pull so many shirts was, I think, a combination of knowing he lacked depth as well as knowing he had pretty damn good (in a few cases excellent) starters and giving it his best shot. It should be a bit concerning to lack that much depth after a pretty strong run of seasons. I'm not familiar with the injury/transfer situation so I'm guessing that played into it.
        The irony is that some on here seem oblivious to the fact that many of their criticisms are self-contradicting. For instance, he purportedly lacks the killer instinct and aggressiveness, but he pulls too many redshirts when the consensus was that this year's team represented the Jacks' best chance to make a championship run.

I do think the dearth of FBS transfers is an area worth discovering the staff's rationale/factors contributing to it, but it's sad when a rival's fan has to advise caution.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          We wouldn't, but that didn't happen. If what happened was an anomaly, this thread doesn't get started. The problem is, it's happened many times before and the reasons why it happens seem to be the same. It's fair to ask questions and bring up concerns. Having some success does not make you immune to discussions like this. Even the best coaches eventually have conversations like this come up.
          There's a considerable difference between questioning/raising concerns and calling for coaching changes after five consecutive playoff berths and a 4-2 record.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            This is what I was thinking. We are needing to use these freshmen because of attrition from prior years and it feel like we never catch up. In my opinion, it may be better take a flier on a juco vs. burn a redshirt. Anthony Washington has worked out pretty well for us. Tommy Hopp has been a very capable special teams player and could play fullback in a pinch according to John Johnson and has seen time at linebacker. Jared Blum provided quality time at defensive end. Travis Zimmerman never played for us at center (other than mop-up time) but that is what Domandle, Miller, and Lickiss have essentially done. Lujon was a transfer and we know what he did. Larvis Jones at wide receiver transferred in and was a great run blocker but I'm not sure he ever caught a pass. I remember the two guys we got from UNO when their program folded (punter & defensive end) and they were both successful. Also, Winston Wright was a transfer, we may have landed him because of his brother in the grade below. What other recent transfers am I missing?
            Hazelett was another recent FBS transfer

Comment

I’ll pull out of the semantics and debatables now that WSR has brought in facts. Lol, facts have no business here or in politics....(keep up the great work WSR).

Answer to the thread question is, no....plain and simple, no.

Comment

Originally posted by maplegroveguy View Post

Thanks for your post.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                  Hazelett was another recent FBS transfer
                  Refresh my memory! I do not recall Hazelett. I suppose if Stig was tight with U of Nebraska Lincoln we could get all the transfers we need from there. Illinois State Coach Sprock seems to get all his players from Purdue. Sometimes this works and sometimes it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Refresh my memory! I do not recall Hazelett. I suppose if Stig was tight with U of Nebraska Lincoln we could get all the transfers we need from there. Illinois State Coach Sprock seems to get all his players from Purdue. Sometimes this works and sometimes it does not.

http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3841

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      This is what I was thinking. We are needing to use these freshmen because of attrition from prior years and it feel like we never catch up. In my opinion, it may be better take a flier on a juco vs. burn a redshirt. Anthony Washington has worked out pretty well for us. Tommy Hopp has been a very capable special teams player and could play fullback in a pinch according to John Johnson and has seen time at linebacker. Jared Blum provided quality time at defensive end. Travis Zimmerman never played for us at center (other than mop-up time) but that is what Domandle, Miller, and Lickiss have essentially done. Lujon was a transfer and we know what he did. Larvis Jones at wide receiver transferred in and was a great run blocker but I'm not sure he ever caught a pass. I remember the two guys we got from UNO when their program folded (punter & defensive end) and they were both successful. Also, Winston Wright was a transfer, we may have landed him because of his brother in the grade below. What other recent transfers am I missing?
                      Grant Schmidt, but of course he is out this year so no way to tell his success yet. Definitely will add to OL depth.

Comment

If I was a Bison fan I would want Stig to be here forever too.

Comment

Call me crazy...I don't think this thread is gonna peter out...

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            Call me crazy...I don't think this thread is gonna peter out...

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
                            Not when the only thing Stig is aggressive with is his late-October razor usage, thereby simultaneously jinxing the defense against the Bears and hampering his "Movember" growth.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                              Thanks.

Comment

Thanks god. All is right in the world!
                                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                                X