Time for Stig to move on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for Stig to move on?

I'm going to start it, it needs to be asked. Is it time for Stig to move on? I absolutely adore the man. He's one the best man I know. I think we have hit our peak (obviously last year). The team under performs every single year. We lose games we shouldn't. We come out flat. We have talent all over the field and they pull an effort like Youngstown and now an inferior UNI team.
    Let's get this started and have some good dialog, I might be way off, so let's hear pros and cons.

Re: Time for Stig to move on?

This should get good.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
      I'm going to start it, it needs to be asked. Is it time for Stig to move on? I absolutely adore the man. He's one the best man I know. I think we have hit our peak (obviously last year). The team under performs every single year. We lose games we shouldn't. We come out flat. We have talent all over the field and they pull an effort like Youngstown and now an inferior UNI team.
      Let's get this started and have some good dialog, I might be way off, so let's hear pros and cons.
      I like Stig,virtually everyone does,a great human being,the best.But that's not what should be discussed,as it's a foregone conclusion he's the best at being a great role model for young men to follow.I think this thread is about coaching ability and getting the most out of what you've got to work with.With that said, I think I'll defer to those who actually know way more about that.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
        Start writing checks so we can afford better coaches. I don't contribute to the program so I realize I am getting what I pay for. I don't like it, but that is the brutal reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know what happens to me if I can't due my job.

Comment

With our facilties, prominence in the state, etc., there is no reason the SDSU job isn't a top 10, or maybe even top 5, job in the FCS. Whenever Stig does call it quits, we should be able to attract some very good candidates for this position. What I absolutely don't want to see is someone hired from the current staff when Stig steps aside. That would be a huge mistake, in my opinion.

I too love Stig, but this is just bad. I'd like to see us finish out the season and begin the search for a new staff. And I would really prefer that this hypothetical new coach be a defense first kind of coach (Stig came from a D background as well). I don't want to see an offensive guru hired who doesn't emphasize defense. You can't win in this league without a good D.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
              I know what happens to me if I can't due my job.
              Somewhat flawed analogy, as you are holding the man accountable for something that no coach, even the most inept, would tell his players to do. Youngstown now has two conference losses as well, and prior to this year, Pelini lost twice to Stig, so if you'll allow me to reframe the initial question, would you rather have Bo Pelini as the coach of the Jacks?

Regardless of your answer to that, I doubt the candidates for the job would be former FBS head coaches either.

Others point to Stig's lack of intensity or aggressiveness, but I think his loyalty to coordinators could be what hampers the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                With our facilties, prominence in the state, etc., there is no reason the SDSU job isn't a top 10, or maybe even top 5, job in the FCS. Whenever Stig does call it quits, we should be able to attract some very good candidates for this position. What I absolutely don't want to see is someone hired from the current staff when Stig steps aside. That would be a huge mistake, in my opinion.

I too love Stig, but this is just bad. I'd like to see us finish out the season and begin the search for a new staff. And I would really prefer that this hypothetical new coach be a defense first kind of coach (Stig came from a D background as well). I don't want to see an offensive guru hired who doesn't emphasize defense. You can't win in this league without a good D.
                Bingo. This will be a tough conversation on this board due to the fact that criticism of coaches and players is thought to be a personal attack when it's not. It's just time for a change. Stig is a great guy but 8-3 or 7-4 is not going to cut it anymore. Yes there are a lot of programs that would love to trade places with us but there is too much being invested into our program to be a hopefully 7-4 team. USD may have already passed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                  Bingo. This will be a tough conversation on this board due to the fact that criticism of coaches and players is thought to be a personal attack when it's not. It's just time for a change. Stig is a great guy but 8-3 or 7-4 is not going to cut it anymore. Yes there are a lot of programs that would love to trade places with us but there is too much being invested into our program to be a hopefully 7-4 team. USD may have already passed us!
                  No issue with criticism, but the manner in which some frame their comments, it is more than constructive criticism of players and coaches. For instance, there's a gent who sits in front of me who likes to call out players for "starring in the same f*ckin' movie every f*ckin' year." What purpose does that serve?

Comment

Stig isn't going anywhere until he decides to hang it up.

Sell won't fire him because he'll alienate the "old guard" of our fan base that will defend Stig and his mediocrity until their dying breath. What Sell doesn't realize is he is slowly losing the support of the younger generation that has higher expectations for this program.

It's really that simple.

Comment

That hype video of ours that won the hero sports contest this august is worth bringing up. In the video opening, there's talk about how the playoffs are not good enough anymore. If that's true, then it is time for a change. Because it appears that all we can hope for is "just playoffs" with this staff.

To the comment about Stig being too loyal to his coordinators: I agree completely. But that's exactly why he is probably not the best man for the job anymore. If he can't make the changes needed on the staff to move the team forward, we can't take the next step. Look at many of the better programs in the FCS, and you'll see that they have their coordinators moving around all the time. Sometimes that's because they get promoted by a different school. And sometimes it's because they aren't getting the job done and the head coach makes a change for the better of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

Sell won't fire him because he'll alienate the "old guard" of our fan base that will defend Stig and his mediocrity until their dying breath. What Sell doesn't realize is he is slowly losing the support of the younger generation that has higher expectations for this program.

It's really that simple.
                        I think that was the case a few years ago, not anymore. I would say the guy with the most say is the guy with the name on the stadium. If he says it's time, it's time. They will let him go out with grace, but if Dana J says it's time, Stig is done.

As a note I think it is time for a change, but not until he end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

It's really that simple.
                          I guess I am part of the old guard. Earlier this week I ate some ticket guy for lunch as he told me I did not have a direct contribution to the Jackrabbit Club of 500 bucks and therefore I got no priority parking window marker in my ticket package. The truth of the matter was I have contributed 1800 bucks to my scholarship fund and other athletic fund and these funds do not count towards priority parking. I am still somewhat upset about this change in policy that was instituted in 2015 so I was told. Does this want me to call for Sell's head? No and Stig head? No but if AD Sell decides to make a change I am sure he will discuss this with Harvey Dunn aka President Dunn before he makes this decision. The old guard will be upset? I dont really think so. All we have to do to make the young ones happy is to give them more free beer and wine. Being sarcastic, its been a tough day.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                            Somewhat flawed analogy, as you are holding the man accountable for something that no coach, even the most inept, would tell his players to do. Youngstown now has two conference losses as well, and prior to this year, Pelini lost twice to Stig, so if you'll allow me to reframe the initial question, would you rather have Bo Pelini as the coach of the Jacks?

Regardless of your answer to that, I doubt the candidates for the job would be former FBS head coaches either.

Others point to Stig's lack of intensity or aggressiveness, but I think his loyalty to coordinators could be what hampers the program.
                            to your point Stig's job is to evaluate those coordinators and determine their effectiveness. He is not doing that job well...someone is going to have to do that for him.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
                              to your point Stig's job is to evaluate those coordinators and determine their effectiveness. He is not doing that job well...someone is going to have to do that for him.
                              Or maybe he realizes better options aren't feasible at this time. With the exception of this forum and some of my neighbors on the east side, FCS Championship-caliber coaches aren't just strolling down the street right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X