Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    And with that impressive win yesterday this thread can be permanently locked!

Congrats to players and coaches!

Buck the Fison!

SUPERBUNNY
    In the interest of freedom of speech, it will most likely continue. Why not. I think Coach Stig is doing a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      In the interest of freedom of speech, it will most likely continue. Why not. I think Coach Stig is doing a great job.
      Until we lose in the playoffs. Then it will start all over again. Or if we lose to usd.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Until we lose in the playoffs. Then it will start all over again. Or if we lose to usd.
        Bingo

Comment

Right, because "he can't win a big game" (except for yesterday and, oh yeah, last year at NDSU....

Comment

Yesterday, with how we coached and played, makes it even more frustrating that we don't do that all of the time.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              Yesterday, with how we coached and played, makes it even more frustrating that we don't do that all of the time.
              Ideal expectations. I know I screw up daily. Why should you expect perfection from our football program?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Ideal expectations. I know I screw up daily. Why should you expect perfection from our football program?
                Who said anything about perfection? The team was far from perfect yesterday, but that is leaps and bounds above the play against YSU and UNI. I don't expect perfection, but what I do expect is consistency.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  Who said anything about perfection? The team was far from perfect yesterday, but that is leaps and bounds above the play against YSU and UNI. I don't expect perfection, but what I do expect is consistency.
                  Can you list a few examples?
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Can you list a few examples?
                    Of them being inconsistent? Laying an egg against UNI at home. A vaunted offense not being able to perform at YSU. Needing a fake field goal to beat a middling BS team.

The team that I watched for 4 quarters yesterday looked nothing like the one that I watched for 4 quarters on Hobo Day. The on-field play, and coaching, is night and day. I hope they keep the ball rolling.

When a team has the expectations that this one did going into the season and they underperform the coaching staff will be questioned. That is the way it goes. We have had the same conversations about Nagy, Otz, and now Stig.

Comment

You can question the coaching all you want, but they were the same coaching staff on Hobo Day and yesterday, but the players were like night and day. I know...yes, I know...it is much more likely that fans will consistently blame coaches for the losses, and players for the wins...of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        You can question the coaching all you want, but they were the same coaching staff on Hobo Day and yesterday, but the players were like night and day. I know...yes, I know...it is much more likely that fans will consistently blame coaches for the losses, and players for the wins...of course.
                        Same coaching staff, different play calls. It's not that hard. I saw more blitzing in this game than I've see in an SDSU game for a long time, which I loved and I hope we continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          I get what you are saying. But the other side of that coin would be perhaps the coaches did a better job of putting the players in a position to perform at a higher level. It really can spiral into a "chicken and the egg" argument...as we have seen on this thread already. The old saying is that you can't fire all the players, but you can fire a coach.

I think that the turn around has been both in coaching and in player performance. Hopefully we continue to build on the last couple weeks...and maybe not call the RB pass back to the QB play for awhile....

Comment

I agree. I doubt the defense was able to play at this level early in the season. They have gotten better IMHO at least to my eye test. I felt the offense was struggling to click early in the year but now they look like the offense I think we were expecting more every game. Coaches needed to get the players to this level. Plus you don't want to play all your cards early. If we blitz to much to early teams are going to adjust. Same with play calling. I would like to see some wrinkles or a new look on offense. But it takes time for that to happen.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I did not go back and read the thread so maybe this has been brought up already. I have had this discussion with a friend of mine whose opinion I value when it comes to this subject. We have had this discussion for several years.

The fact is that Stig has had more success at the FCS level than he ever had at Div 2 level. This is due in large part due to devoting more assets to the program from facilities to coaches to the student athletes.

The first question becomes “Has Stig taken the program as far as he can take the program?”

The next discussion is who do u want leading the program? Coach Stig sits across the dining room table from a recruit and says “I will take care of your son” and he is able to back it up. A parent once told me that every coach says “I will take care of your son”, but there was only one coach who they truly believed. The reality is players do leave his program as better men.

We would not be having this discussion if not for the success of NDSU. Everyone wants to win that national championship.

We are sitting right between two scenarios with our biggest rivals. NDSU is the best program in FCS vs USD who is going through another legal issue.

I am guessing that President Dunn is in no hurry to make a coaching change to a program that is highly successful on the field, leads the MVFC in GPA every year, and has very little off the field issues.

This year our expectations are very high. The coaches and players have the same expectations. We could very well still meet those expectations or lay an egg.

In the end, Stig has to ask himself if it is time for him to turn the keys over to see if the next coach can take it to another level.

In the end, everyone wants to leave a place better than when they arrived. There is no question that Coach Stig will leave the program in a better condition than when he was handed the keys.

Comment

I thought the Jacks looked fantastic Saturday. DJD was a place of euphoric pandemonium. Congrats to Stig, the coaches and players. Well done. Jacks won all phases of the game, convincingly.

Yet in the days leading up to it, I dreaded going. I felt like I was going to be punched in the gut on Saturday. I had no idea which team would show up on our sideline. Going forward, I still don't. And that is troubling. My issue? Maybe. But I'm not alone.

Either way it was a resounding victory and gives hope, and all are to be congratulated. Well done. Very well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X