Time for Stig to move on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Time for Stig to move on?

I wasn't able to watch it as much as I wanted, but was it just me, or did it look like Jimmy Rodgers was calling the defensive plays? Unless he has a headset and is getting them from above and just relays them to the players? It looked like they were always looking to him for the calls on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Same coaching staff, different play calls. It's not that hard. I saw more blitzing in this game than I've see in an SDSU game for a long time, which I loved and I hope we continue.
      I'm sure that the blitzes helped win the game (of course all parts of the game do, if successful). Maybe we didn't blitz more in earlier games because we had a great MLB, but new, young linebackers for the first part of the season. Maybe we blitzed more this time, because our defensive line has improved enough to more consistently stop the vaunted NDSU running (first) game. I don't know...your the coach, so I understand you have a much better grip on this than me.

My earlier post was the first I have made on this threat out of 300 posts. I have watched with amazement (and quite a bit of disgust) the comments made. MY gripe was that it was ridiculous to start a thread on firing the coach, after we were 4-1 and had just added another (horrible) loss in a season where we knew we were pretty good (following great, gradual improvement after moving to D-1, that has made us the second best football program in the toughest FCS conference in the nation). At least it could have waited until later in the season (it would not have surfaced this week!) I was disgusted with the thread, remain that way now, and will let it go now on my part. (BTW, I love clam chowder.)

Comment

I wasn't able to watch it as much as I wanted, but was it just me, or did it look like Jimmy Rodgers was calling the defensive plays? Unless he has a headset and is getting them from above and just relays them to the players? It looked like they were always looking to him for the calls on defense.
        He relays plays and adjustments and has a headset.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          I'm sure that the blitzes helped win the game (of course all parts of the game do, if successful). Maybe we didn't blitz more in earlier games because we had a great MLB, but new, young linebackers for the first part of the season. Maybe we blitzed more this time, because our defensive line has improved enough to more consistently stop the vaunted NDSU running (first) game. I don't know...your the coach, so I understand you have a much better grip on this than me.

My earlier post was the first I have made on this threat out of 300 posts. I have watched with amazement (and quite a bit of disgust) the comments made. MY gripe was that it was ridiculous to start a thread on firing the coach, after we were 4-1 and had just added another (horrible) loss in a season where we knew we were pretty good (following great, gradual improvement after moving to D-1, that has made us the second best football program in the toughest FCS conference in the nation). At least it could have waited until later in the season (it would not have surfaced this week!) I was disgusted with the thread, remain that way now, and will let it go now on my part. (BTW, I love clam chowder.)
          I don't know what the reasons were that we didn't blitz as much earlier, but I'm just glad we are now. Also, it's not just blitzing, but at least changing up the look of the defense. Look around both college football and the pros and you see defenses setting up in different looks all the time. They call might be the same base defense with zone coverage, but before the snap it looks like you could bring anywhere from 4-7 people from a bunch of different angles. I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but I'm not a coach... however, it's very clear that when you sit back in the traditional 4-3 look with everyone sitting like a statue and roll into the same old zone... it's much easier on a QB to make reads and pick us apart.

Your gripe about starting a thread on firing a coach is inaccurate, which has been discussed. The thread may have been poorly titled, but it was definitely not started on the basis of firing Stig.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            He relays plays and adjustments and has a headset.
            Alright, thanks for the insight.

Comment

Your gripe about starting a thread on firing a coach is inaccurate, which has been discussed. The thread may have been poorly titled, but it was definitely not started on the basis of firing Stig.
              Oh for goodness sakes CH...if we had not lost the Hobo Day game, the thread would not have been started...we would have been 5-1 then and 8-1 now. So someone throws out a thread titled "Time for Stig to Move On?" and expect what? It was inevitable that it would devolve into a nasty thread...one that wouldn't have had to happen if he had waited at least one more game and the season was just half-way along. Oh, it wasn't meant fired? Are you kidding me. He had to know it was asking if he should get fired, unless you thought the karma was going to persuade Stig to voluntary step aside in deference to the fan board.

Comment

Oh for goodness sakes CH...if we had not lost the Hobo Day game, the thread would not have been started...we would have been 5-1 then and 8-1 now. So someone throws out a thread titled "Time for Stig to Move On?" and expect what? It was inevitable that it would devolve into a nasty thread...one that wouldn't have had to happen if he had waited at least one more game and the season was just half-way along. Oh, it wasn't meant fired? Are you kidding me. He had to know it was asking if he should get fired, unless you thought the karma was going to persuade Stig to voluntary step aside in deference to the fan board.
                I guess you're entitled to perceive things the way you want to, but it's been made pretty clear that wasn't the intention.

Comment

I guess you're entitled to perceive things the way you want to, but it's been made pretty clear that wasn't the intention.
                  Oh for goodness sakes #2, CH, go back and read the first sentence of the first post "Is it time for Stig to move on". So the answer is yes...how does he move on, quits or gets fired. OK, enough is enough. You think the poster was just dancing down the middle, I think there was only one way you could treat the title AND the intent. Fire away...I'm out of this one for good.

Comment

Oh for goodness sakes #2, CH, go back and read the first sentence of the first post "Is it time for Stig to move on". So the answer is yes...how does he move on, quits or gets fired. OK, enough is enough. You think the poster was just dancing down the middle, I think there was only one way you could treat the title AND the intent. Fire away...I'm out of this one for good.
                    I started the thread. Admittedly "Time for Stig to move on" may not have been the best title. However, Jacks#1Fan is correct, the only we he does move on: he quits or gets fired. The title should have read, "Time for Stig to quit or get fired?"
                    The post did come from frustration after the abysmal performance against UNI, which we have every single year. After a wonderful performance on Saturday, the UNI loss is even more frustrating. IMO, if we prepared for every game the way we did against NDSU, we wouldn't lose games against inferior opponents. Which is the difference between us and NDSU, typically they win the games they should, and step up in the biggest games. We have yet to show that consistency to do that.... which led to the question, is Stig the guy that can elevate the team beyond where we are at today? If not, is it time for him to quit or get fired?

Comment

Using NDSU as an example of not losing games they should win, I would go to the history book of 2 seasons ago when the USD Coyotes traveled to Fargo to upset the Bison. IMO, often times we are looking over the fence at the Jones family thinking we would be more content with their lifestyle and envy their "success". Frustration often can be a product of our own desires for reality to be so much more happy when I get to the next level.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        Using NDSU as an example of not losing games they should win, I would go to the history book of 2 seasons ago when the USD Coyotes traveled to Fargo to upset the Bison. IMO, often times we are looking over the fence at the Jones family thinking we would be more content with their lifestyle and envy their "success". Frustration often can be a product of our own desires for reality to be so much more happy when I get to the next level.
                        Yup they lost to USD, they also lost to Montana the first game of the year. Oh but wait, then went on to win the National Title, which included beating Montana in the rematch by 31 points. TYPICALLY they win the games they should, and step up in the big games. I would look over at that fence any day of the week. They are what we strive to be, I have no issues with that.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                          Yup they lost to USD, they also lost to Montana the first game of the year. Oh but wait, then went on to win the National Title, which included beating Montana in the rematch by 31 points. TYPICALLY they win the games they should, and step up in the big games. I would look over at that fence any day of the week. They are what we strive to be, I have no issues with that.
                          The striving would be on this side of the fence. Maybe you should schedule a meeting with Stig and get the two of you on the same page. TYPICALLY every program is working to be successful. It is not likely that every program makes the same progress. The ENVY factor drives many perspectives. I would guess Stig would take a clean program with student athletes before a win at any cost. I would also guess he attempts to recruit many of the same athletes the bison recruit. While we are slapping Stig around, maybe we should give him a few lashes for never winning any championships at the DII level. This thread is born of frustration and envy. The bison have a history of a strong football program which is very difficult to match makes for a difficult reality. Luckily the Marker Game was not a big game they should win.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Yes,and why can't we do the same with our bad losses,oh,we aren't the Bison I guess. Nobody ever thinks we can do anything great,maybe that's a big reason we never do.I'm sick of hearing how great the Bison are,I want our team to beat the crap out of them everytime we play them,jus like the last game and anyone else who stands in the way. It's the fans of the Bison football program that feeds their ego,maybe we can re-direct some of that high praise to our own team, especially when they've earned it .Know the difference between being a fan and being a critic. It's not all Coach Stig....jus say'n

Not directed at rabbit64,jus using his post as a lead in to what i had to say....not directed soley at him just needed the " in reference to" provided by his post.Apologies to him.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-06-2017, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g_mandakota View Post
                              I did not go back and read the thread so maybe this has been brought up already. I have had this discussion with a friend of mine whose opinion I value when it comes to this subject. We have had this discussion for several years.

The fact is that Stig has had more success at the FCS level than he ever had at Div 2 level. This is due in large part due to devoting more assets to the program from facilities to coaches to the student athletes.

The first question becomes “Has Stig taken the program as far as he can take the program?”

The next discussion is who do u want leading the program? Coach Stig sits across the dining room table from a recruit and says “I will take care of your son” and he is able to back it up. A parent once told me that every coach says “I will take care of your son”, but there was only one coach who they truly believed. The reality is players do leave his program as better men.

We would not be having this discussion if not for the success of NDSU. Everyone wants to win that national championship.

We are sitting right between two scenarios with our biggest rivals. NDSU is the best program in FCS vs USD who is going through another legal issue.

I am guessing that President Dunn is in no hurry to make a coaching change to a program that is highly successful on the field, leads the MVFC in GPA every year, and has very little off the field issues.

This year our expectations are very high. The coaches and players have the same expectations. We could very well still meet those expectations or lay an egg.

In the end, Stig has to ask himself if it is time for him to turn the keys over to see if the next coach can take it to another level.

In the end, everyone wants to leave a place better than when they arrived. There is no question that Coach Stig will leave the program in a better condition than when he was handed the keys.
                              Excellent post and excellent points made. We need more wisdom like that expressed in this post. Rep pts given.

Comment

I started the thread. Admittedly "Time for Stig to move on" may not have been the best title. However, Jacks#1Fan is correct, the only we he does move on: he quits or gets fired. The title should have read, "Time for Stig to quit or get fired?"
                                The post did come from frustration after the abysmal performance against UNI, which we have every single year. After a wonderful performance on Saturday, the UNI loss is even more frustrating. IMO, if we prepared for every game the way we did against NDSU, we wouldn't lose games against inferior opponents. Which is the difference between us and NDSU, typically they win the games they should, and step up in the biggest games. We have yet to show that consistency to do that.... which led to the question, is Stig the guy that can elevate the team beyond where we are at today? If not, is it time for him to quit or get fired?
                                I have to thank you for finally putting this in context, although it would've been great if this would have been done much earlier when the intent you detailed above was being incorrectly described by others.

Comment

Working...
                                X