Time for Stig to move on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Time for Stig to move on?

I admittedly started this thread when I was still emotional about the UNI loss. With that being said, my concerns have not changed - we come out flat, always lose a game we shouldn't, underprepared for games. The next four games will determine the future of Stig, and this program. Personally I think we will go 3-1 or 2-2. This team is not good enough to have the luxury to look ahead to NDSU, so I hope that our coaching staff and the leaders on the team come out and take care of business against WIU.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      Yes, click on Settings at the top right then on the left side toward the bottom click on "Edit Ignore List".
      Awesome. Now if I can just give rep from the app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
        I admittedly started this thread when I was still emotional about the UNI loss. With that being said, my concerns have not changed - we come out flat, always lose a game we shouldn't, underprepared for games. The next four games will determine the future of Stig, and this program. Personally I think we will go 3-1 or 2-2. This team is not good enough to have the luxury to look ahead to NDSU, so I hope that our coaching staff and the leaders on the team come out and take care of business against WIU.
        Every team, even the Bison, lose games they "shouldn't." What I find telling is that you can point to questionable playcalling, decisionmaking, etc. from numerous Jacks' opponents' coaches over the course of the past few years, but Stig's critics refuse to acknowledge those. Two examples from this season alone are MSU opting to pass to the middle of the field near the end of the game against the Jacks, which resulted in burning precious time, and Stig's winning record against Pelini at YSU (do you ever hear anyone say Stig "outcoached" Pelini though?).

I think Coach Choate at MSU represents the type of coach folks think the Jacks would get (as he's a former FBS coordinator). A "Pelini-type" coach with even more of a pedigree seems to represent the "dream hire" of some, but they better look to replace President Dunn with another Jim Tressel, if they think such a hire would ever be feasible for the Jacks. I suppose someone like Bohl could be "Pelini-lite" (at least in terms of FBS accolades), although the argument could be made that getting him would be more of a coup for the Jacks, as he's a rival's former coach, but as has been stated, you better be ready to break the bank to do so.

The gist of it is, every coach makes questionable decisions; every coach loses games, and it seems unfair to Stig to aggregate all of his "failings" in a manner that supports arguing it's time for him to "move on" when said failings are not necessarily abnormal relative other coaches. Plus, folks attribute some player actions (poor tackling, special teams miscues, etc.) to coaching that impartial observers confirm are being coached "correctly" during practice.

The UNI loss was disheartening, but I just feel like it was a "perfect storm" of circumstances; hopefully it's never replicated (or it occurs to the Jacks' opponents instead).
        Last edited by jakejc795; 10-28-2017, 11:08 AM. Reason: Wording incorrectly implied Bison were former rival

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
          Every team, even the Bison, lose games they "shouldn't." What I find telling is that you can point to questionable playcalling, decisionmaking, etc. from numerous Jacks' opponents' coaches over the course of the past few years, but Stig's critics refuse to acknowledge those. Two examples from this season alone are MSU opting to pass to the middle of the field near the end of the game against the Jacks, which resulted in burning precious time, and Stig's winning record against Pelini at YSU (do you ever hear anyone say Stig "outcoached" Pelini though?).

I think Coach Choate at MSU represents the type of coach folks think the Jacks would get (as he's a former FBS coordinator). A "Pelini-type" coach with even more of a pedigree seems to represent the "dream hire" of some, but they better look to replace President Dunn with another Jim Tressel, if they think such a hire would ever be feasible for the Jacks. I suppose someone like Bohl could be "Pelini-lite" (at least in terms of FBS accolades), although the argument could be made that getting him would be more of a coup for the Jacks, as he's a former rival's coach, but as has been stated, you better be ready to break the bank to do so.

The gist of it is, every coach makes questionable decisions; every coach loses games, and it seems unfair to Stig to aggregate all of his "failings" in a manner that supports arguing it's time for him to "move on" when said failings are not necessarily abnormal relative other coaches. Plus, folks attribute some player actions (poor tackling, special teams miscues, etc.) to coaching that impartial observers confirm are being coached "correctly" during practice.

The UNI loss was disheartening, but I just feel like it was a "perfect storm" of circumstances; hopefully it's never replicated (or it occurs to the Jacks' opponents instead).
          I must spread rep before I can give you more. Well said. Stig has gotten us in the conversation every year for awhile now. Tom Osborne did the same thing. He put the team in a position to be at the top at the end of the season year in and year out. Fans got pissed that they didn't ever win it and then the 90's happened. Stig runs a respectable program we can be proud of, has us in the mix at the end, and will keep improving the Jimmy's and Joe's that call themselves Jackrabbits. We'll get there, our grass is pretty green if you ask me.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            I must spread rep before I can give you more. Well said. Stig has gotten us in the conversation every year for awhile now. Tom Osborne did the same thing. He put the team in a position to be at the top at the end of the season year in and year out. Fans got pissed that they didn't ever win it and then the 90's happened. Stig runs a respectable program we can be proud of, has us in the mix at the end, and will keep improving the Jimmy's and Joe's that call themselves Jackrabbits. We'll get there, our grass is pretty green if you ask me.
            Thank you for the compliment. Another consideration that I failed to add before that I would ask the critics -- do you realistically think the Jacks get Goedert (and possibly Wieneke) without Stig?

Goedert was only getting scholarship offers from NSU but wanted to play D1. Well, the Bison and 'Yotes sure weren't "aggressive" in even offering him a walk-on. Moreover, Wieneke has gone on record as saying Stig being a "God fearing" man was one reason he chose SDSU.

I think some see the success that USD is having as evidence that the Jacks should change regimes. While I think both Glenn and Stig seem like honorable men, I think the Jacks are ahead in that ledger in terms of program upside (regardless of what happens this year) and should be wary of making snap coaching employment decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I think Coach Choate at MSU represents the type of coach folks think the Jacks would get (as he's a former FBS coordinator). A "Pelini-type" coach with even more of a pedigree seems to represent the "dream hire" of some, but they better look to replace President Dunn with another Jim Tressel, if they think such a hire would ever be feasible for the Jacks. I suppose someone like Bohl could be "Pelini-lite" (at least in terms of FBS accolades), although the argument could be made that getting him would be more of a coup for the Jacks, as he's a rival's former coach, but as has been stated, you better be ready to break the bank to do so.

REmind me what game the Bison lost during 2011-2015? that actually mattered? We all know they lost to us last year, but won when it mattered, against us. No they didn't win the title, but JMU was the best team. If we would have won games when it mattered we would have had a home game instead of going up to Fargo which seems like every season

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                REmind me what game the Bison lost during 2011-2015? that actually mattered? We all know they lost to us last year, but won when it mattered, against us. If we would have won games when it mattered we would have had a home game instead of going up to Fargo.
                Is this a trick question to see if I will cite a USD victory?

If so, I'm not falling for it, and you can see their losses for the past 15 years (well 14 years, as they have not lost this year yet) using the dropdown here: http://www.espn.com/college-football...2449/year/2015.

Comment

Got my STATE magazine today, but it might have been in my mailbox for several days and there is an article about Coach Stig. Did the article ask him to move on? No quite the contrary. It was titled Making a Difference. Very complimentary and well written by Dave Graves. Thank you Mr. Graves.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Got my STATE magazine today, but it might have been in my mailbox for several days and there is an article about Coach Stig. Did the article ask him to move on? No quite the contrary. It was titled Making a Difference. Very complimentary..
                    Because STATE magazine is a hard hitting sports publication? I don't think anyone would argue that Stig is a stand up person who has led the team to success.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I am with Jack#1 and JackJD, and am hoping this thread peters out. I was really bad mouthing AD Sell in the middle of last week when I found out I was not eligible for priority parking. I have known for years that the AD has an advisory council made up of former athletes and fans like you and me. No doubt these changes made in 2015 regarding pledges to the Jackrabbit Club and to other athletic funds such as scholarship endowments were run by the council and they most likely gave their approval, so it was not an individual decision by AD Sell as I had thought. Often decisions made at SDSU are by committees and councils. No one has the final word without input. Those who feel so strongly in the negative about Coach Stig need to tap out an email to the AD. I am sure he reads them. I myself think we got a moral rock for a coach, something that every institution in the MVFC would love to have. Following the rules is worth something in this day and age.

And yet, you make the first post in this thread after it's been silent for five days.........

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                        And yet, you make the first post in this thread after it's been silent for five days.........
                        SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                        I AM A HYPOCRITE. Sue me.

Comment

Yes. Is the answer. Or No. or Maybe? Is the answer to all of these questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                            I AM A HYPOCRITE. Sue me.
                            Your a good hypocrite though,I'll vouch for ya.

Comment

Why it's it we only can game like that when we play the thundering turds? I'd like this type of gamelan every week. Why not? Way more aggressive play calling. Kudos to coach Stig and crew for showing us what they're capable of. More please!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

And with that impressive win yesterday this thread can be permanently locked!

Congrats to players and coaches!

Buck the Fison!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X