Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    There's a reason that there's a question mark at the end, not a period or an exclamation mark. This thread simply posed a question and brought it up for discussion.
    Right, and the first post made it clear that the question was not framed in a manner that a dang contract extension was within the realm of possibility. Calling it "fake news" does not change the tenor of the posts here.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      Right, and the first post made it clear that the question was not framed in a manner that a dang contract extension was within the realm of possibility. Calling it "fake news" does not change the tenor of the posts here.
      That's not what TK's post said. Go re-read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
        I'd also be curious to know how many of those 18 are from playoff/scholly leagues. I'd assume a couple may be from the Ivy and non-scholly leagues and other non playoff league(s)...
        Trying to cool off from all of the Stig "contract extension" talk -- from pgs. 69-70 of this resource, whose veracity I cannot vouch for, and the ESPN schedule/results for each school, I believe the partial list is as follows (I could not locate the 18th team before I had to get to bed):

FCS 100 Game Winners (2004-17).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          That's not what TK's post said. Go re-read it.
          Aye aye, Cappin'. His post referenced Stig's mediocrity, which he's now trying to say was fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            Trying to cool off from all of the Stig "contract extension" talk -- from pgs. 69-70 of this resource, whose veracity I cannot vouch for, and the ESPN schedule/results for each school, I believe the partial list is as follows (I could not locate the 18th team before I had to get to bed):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]907[/ATTACH]
            Wow. That's some good company to be in. Goes to show how far this program has really come. Glad we have kept Stig through all of that!
            Rollin' in my 5.0
            With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
            Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Haven’t commented on this thread yet, didn’t want to, but I have noticed a couple of things. Before I get into them I want to state I believe Stig is capable of taking us to the national championship and winning it. I’m beginning to question that a bit now with the course of this season, but I’m still sticking with that position. Which is part of what I noticed in this thread.

There are obviously two groups on this thread, those defending Stig and those questioning him. And both of those groups have quite loudly proclaimed their positions and their reasoning and now the entire thread is revolving into name calling and ego contests. However, of the two groups I have noticed some interesting things. A) that the folks defending Stig have very different expectations of the program B) those people feel that we need still more invested in the program to be where the other group expects us to be C) there is a pretty obvious (to me) divide between the basketball first and the football first fans. The last point will get me the most grief interestingly enough IMO.

The reason I stated that I think Stig can take us to the Championship is for two reasons. First because I don’t think we built $120mil in facilities to compete for conference championships and second, because I haven’t seen anyone else who is pro Stig do it. In fact, all of those arguments I’ve seen aren’t that Stig is capable of greater heights, but hand wringing and finger wagging about what might happen if the next coach isn’t as successful. It’s a very South Dakotan argument. Be thankful for what you have. Many grab stats to back up just how good the last years have been compared to he rest of the country, have said how we shouldn’t compare ourselves to NDSU because those goals are impossible (I bet many thought what we have now was impossible), or just outright said they are happy competing for conference titles. I would argue those thought processes, in order, aren’t in line with the goals of the program, are demeaning to the effort and money put into the program, and are born of a basketball mindset where a mid major winning the natty is near impossible. Personally I vehemently disagree with all those points, and I think that’s the bigger rub here. Most of the basketball fans are more pleased with any success with football than anything, it’s more of a secondary fandom for them than anything. And if you are one of those people and are being honest you will agree. I’m that way with basketball. I’ll be upset when we lose rivalry games, or when we lose in the tourney, but I’m not nearly as emotionally invested as I am with football.

As to Stig being a good coach, that’s obviously true. You can post stats all day about it. But I haven’t seen a single person say they think he can win a natty. Even our bison friend TAB has said he’s a good coach, but I’ve had many, many bison fans in Fargo ask me if I think Stig can win a natty. Just as many have told me they think Stig is what’s holding us back. I agree till my dying breath with them about that, but this seasons results are making me looks silly and giving me pause. I think the real question isn’t if Stig should stay. I think everyone mostly agrees he will ride off into the sunset on his own terms, and deservedly so. It’s if he’s a championship caliber coach. Many of us have that as an expectation. To compete for a natty. And that doesn’t include going to Fargo and getting wore out and sent home. We see the opportunity in front of this program to build the fanbase, to reach heights never dreamed of by many in the state, and to take a death grip on generations of fans to come in SD and the area. So we get extremely frustrated when we have the tools and are poised to do that only to piss each opportunity down our legs. Thus the birth of threads like these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                Haven’t commented on this thread yet, didn’t want to, but I have noticed a couple of things. Before I get into them I want to state I believe Stig is capable of taking us to the national championship and winning it. I’m beginning to question that a bit now with the course of this season, but I’m still sticking with that position. Which is part of what I noticed in this thread.

There are obviously two groups on this thread, those defending Stig and those questioning him. And both of those groups have quite loudly proclaimed their positions and their reasoning and now the entire thread is revolving into name calling and ego contests. However, of the two groups I have noticed some interesting things. A) that the folks defending Stig have very different expectations of the program B) those people feel that we need still more invested in the program to be where the other group expects us to be C) there is a pretty obvious (to me) divide between the basketball first and the football first fans. The last point will get me the most grief interestingly enough IMO.

The reason I stated that I think Stig can take us to the Championship is for two reasons. First because I don’t think we built $120mil in facilities to compete for conference championships and second, because I haven’t seen anyone else who is pro Stig do it. In fact, all of those arguments I’ve seen aren’t that Stig is capable of greater heights, but hand wringing and finger wagging about what might happen if the next coach isn’t as successful. It’s a very South Dakotan argument. Be thankful for what you have. Many grab stats to back up just how good the last years have been compared to he rest of the country, have said how we shouldn’t compare ourselves to NDSU because those goals are impossible (I bet many thought what we have now was impossible), or just outright said they are happy competing for conference titles. I would argue those thought processes, in order, aren’t in line with the goals of the program, are demeaning to the effort and money put into the program, and are born of a basketball mindset where a mid major winning the natty is near impossible. Personally I vehemently disagree with all those points, and I think that’s the bigger rub here. Most of the basketball fans are more pleased with any success with football than anything, it’s more of a secondary fandom for them than anything. And if you are one of those people and are being honest you will agree. I’m that way with basketball. I’ll be upset when we lose rivalry games, or when we lose in the tourney, but I’m not nearly as emotionally invested as I am with football.

As to Stig being a good coach, that’s obviously true. You can post stats all day about it. But I haven’t seen a single person say they think he can win a natty. Even our bison friend TAB has said he’s a good coach, but I’ve had many, many bison fans in Fargo ask me if I think Stig can win a natty. Just as many have told me they think Stig is what’s holding us back. I agree till my dying breath with them about that, but this seasons results are making me looks silly and giving me pause. I think the real question isn’t if Stig should stay. I think everyone mostly agrees he will ride off into the sunset on his own terms, and deservedly so. It’s if he’s a championship caliber coach. Many of us have that as an expectation. To compete for a natty. And that doesn’t include going to Fargo and getting wore out and sent home. We see the opportunity in front of this program to build the fanbase, to reach heights never dreamed of by many in the state, and to take a death grip on generations of fans to come in SD and the area. So we get extremely frustrated when we have the tools and are poised to do that only to piss each opportunity down our legs. Thus the birth of threads like these.

1st this is not an argument, but rather more of a point of clarification.

But I want to point out to the people saying we'd be content winning conference titles that IF we are winning conference championships consistently in this league, we will be in the Nat. title games.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Spot on.

Comment

Maybe we just need to start a thread "Coaching Criticisms". That way people won't instantly assume you want the coach fired just because we have questions about his coaching style/technique/scheme.

Comment

Coaches are victims of their own success. Has Stig taken this program to the next level? Certainly. I don't think anyone would argue against that point. Where we are at now as a program is a long way from where it was when I was an undergrad. With that success we've raised our expectations. J

Just getting into the playoffs shouldn't be considered a success. Sharing a conference title should't be our goal. This program is at a point where we shouldn't get blown out on Hobo Day. This program is at a point where we shouldn't lose our home opener of a new stadium. This program is at a point we shouldn't have to worry about the inevitable "let down" game that bites us in the butt at least once a year.

In my mind if we are going to pat a coach on the back for all the success, then we better be able to criticize that same coach for the failures. Are the shortcomings this season because of coaching? An under performing QB? Injuries to our star TE and WR? Terrible defense? My guess is it a combination of all of these things.

I will wait until the end of the season before I get out my pitchfork and start the march to the football offices. I think that this team can turn it around and make the playoffs but, as I said earlier, that is not the goal. The goal for this program now should be to make the title game.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Ah to be the SDSU athletic director.... To the north you have the first-time-in-history run put together by NDSU fueling crazy-high expectations (title game every year? Yikes.). To the south you have the ultimate model of what can happen when you "chase the dragon" with trying to upgrade coaches at Nebraska. I see very strong points in this thread on both sides and am glad someone else has to make these kinds of decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          Ah to be the SDSU athletic director.... To the north you have the first-time-in-history run put together by NDSU fueling crazy-high expectations (title game every year? Yikes.). To the south you have the ultimate model of what can happen when you "chase the dragon" with trying to upgrade coaches at Nebraska. I see very strong points in this thread on both sides and am glad someone else has to make these kinds of decisions.
                          Do you think the AD reads this message board? Oh that’s right, too busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Do you think the AD reads this message board? Oh that’s right, too busy.
                            Honestly... I'm pretty surprised to learn who reads these message boards. Not saying Sell does or doesn't. But it has been surprising the number of people on campus who actively follow and don't post.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Well said by Thumper. Good perspective on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                Honestly... I'm pretty surprised to learn who reads these message boards. Not saying Sell does or doesn't. But it has been surprising the number of people on campus who actively follow and don't post.
                                I think it would be smart for people in the athletic department to keep an eye on forums like this. Obviously you would have to do so with bags full of salt handy, but it would allow you to check the pulse of some of the most interested members of the fan base.

It's no different than most companies (the smart ones anyway) keeping an eye on and most of the time actively engaging with people on social media. It allows you a direct line of communication to some of your most important voices and opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                X