Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I think we have some of the best assistant coaches in the business. but its hard to keep them or bring in better coaches if the pay isn't there. I don't think a new head coach fixes the issues we need to pay assistants better. I would say we currently have some of the better assistants we have had since we have been D-1. the issue people have seems to be with the O and D coordinators.
    Haha...how often do Bison fans call for the OC's head!

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
      Haha...how often do Bison fans call for the OC's head!
      Is this a rhetorical question or a per quarter, per half or per game basis type query?

Comment

I found this point in the Valley Notebook to be very relevant.

Jacks Reach 100
        South Dakota State’s win at Missouri State was its 100th as an FCS program. SDSU joined the Division I ranks in 2004. Only 18 FCS schools have won 100 games in that span.

http://valley-football.org/news/2017...ok-oct-23.aspx
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          I found this point in the Valley Notebook to be very relevant.

Jacks Reach 100
          South Dakota State’s win at Missouri State was its 100th as an FCS program. SDSU joined the Division I ranks in 2004. Only 18 FCS schools have won 100 games in that span.

http://valley-football.org/news/2017...ok-oct-23.aspx
          I'd also be curious to know how many of those 18 are from playoff/scholly leagues. I'd assume a couple may be from the Ivy and non-scholly leagues and other non playoff league(s)...

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            Does anyone care to comment on USD and YSU losing games they shouldn't have last weekend? Time for their coaches to move on?
            Nah, they provided entertainment, which is really all I care about when watching football. Don't care who wins or loses.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              If you want to over simplify it and turn a blind eye to all of the legitimate concerns brought up, be my guest. Have fun with your blinders. I'll be over here looking beyond the wins and losses and having discussions about what can be done to improve SDSU football. Try not to get so offended when I and others do so.
              Reference my post #10 earlier in this thread........."until their dying breath".

Comment

So, this thread is now 200+ posts into it.

Lots of things to consider:

1. There is a lot of football to be played. A LOT! All of the goals that this team would have set for themselves are still in front of them. Maybe we all need to settle down a bit.

2. Who knows what happens at the end of the year? It's all conjecture. Heck, Stig may want to retire after a solid career on his own. Nobody knows! See post #1.

3. Be careful what you wish for when it comes to a staffing change! See the Nebraska days who are longing to return to the glory years of Devaney and Osborne. So much so that Solich, Clownihan, Bum Pelini, and soon Riley will be left in the rear view while they are further than ever from the stated goal. Some of you SDSU fans want to run a coach that has been to the playoffs how many years in a row? Just won the schools first conference title in how many years? Has a program with solid scholastic marks and as clean a record (police type of record) as you will find? And has done it all on a shoestring budget? You want to can that guy?

4. The person that talked about how it is up to the boosters to continue to open the purse strings to make this thing work hit the nail on the head. We've come a really long way but we still have plenty to go.

5. Who are you going to get? How much will it cost? What will it do to our current roster, incoming recruits, and those being recruited? How attractive is a job that would run a 20+ year Head Coach that just last year won the first conference title in XX years, has made the playoffs the last several years, has lead a clean program, and did it all on a small budget? Truth is there would be tons of interest. This place would be a great potential stepping stone. Just see the list of former assistants that have moved onward and upward. But if you want to make a big splash with a hire then they are going to ask: How much can you pay me? How long is my guarantee? How much will you pay my assistants? How much will you increase the FB budget? And when are you going to start paying the players like the other MVFC schools?

6. This all takes me back to post #78 of this thread where I said, "I'm as frustrated as everyone else is. But let's take a step back and think about those people in the locker room are feeling about this. You think they aren't frustrated? You think they aren't disappointed in how they've played? These are the same coaches, players, and team that we had last year with the normal given turnover from classes." It would take a lot for me to say that this job isn't Stigs for as long as he choses to stay. A hell of a lot more than a disappointing season which this may or may not turn out to be.

Maybe we should all just get behind them and give all we have as fans for the next few games. November 4th would be a great place to start. I'm pretty sure the team is going to give it their all and it may or may not be enough. Us fans did our job and bought all the tickets. Now it is on us to show up and make some frickin noise.

Let's just enjoy the rest of the season and if they play the way they are capable it could still be one for the ages.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                  Reference my post #10 earlier in this thread........."until their dying breath".
                  This is absolutely not true for me.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

What does SDSU want from athletics, specifically football? Football is the biggest expense but if the university wants a championship then it must find a way to budget for all aspects of the program including training table and cost of attendance. Boosters are not totally responsible for funding everything. The university has the best facilities for Football in the MVC. The next step is “keeping up with other teams” for recruiting and training table/COA is it. If the university says it cannot afford this then a championship will not come because the playing field is not equal to other teams.
                    Last edited by Hareofthedog; 10-23-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Probably because most of the old guard has a more objective definition of "mediocrity."

I asked early in this thread, what coach do you want to replace him, and no one has given an answer, so how about you put your money where your "mediocrity" was and specify a replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                        Probably because most of the old guard has a more objective definition of "mediocrity."

I asked early in this thread, what coach do you want to replace him, and no one has given an answer, so how about you put your money where your "mediocrity" was and specify a replacement?
                        What younger fans need to know is that money talks. which the old guard are usually the ones that have more of it. they have been invested for years. newer fans or college grads that are starting to stake more of claim of being a longer tenured or invested fan, need to still keep things in prospective. If they can only be fans when we are winning national championships, they most of those younger fans aren't going to stay around. if they go with the mind set of win at all costs, well what are you willing to give up to accomplish that. Frankly I would love to see us be a program that can win the conference or be competing to win in year in and year out. we haven't been that far from it in the past and last year we did. this year we have 2 bad offense games that set our expectations back. If the new guard gets there way and chase the coaches from the program, they better be willing to pony up the cost that goes with it and willing to take the heat if by chance things do not go better then they currently are. Sometimes a history lesson is good for everyone. The
                        "old guard" if you will, can explain it better then I.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The reason you aren't getting answers to "who we want to replace Stig" is because we don't want to replace Stig. You and others continue to paint this false narrative (#fakenews) that those of us discussing Stig's future and the future of the program were calling for him to be fired after the UNI loss. That was never the case, and I encourage you to re-read Post #1 as to the genesis of this thread.

Nobody is rooting against Stig. We want to see him succeed. I want to see this team go deep into the playoffs. You want to see this team go deep into the playoffs. Our differences lie in our expectations for THIS team THIS year. I had, and still have, extremely high expectations for this team, especially given our NFL -level talent at the skill positions. Maybe I over bought the pre-season hype, but if this season goes bust someone better be ready to do some 'splainin as to what happened.

As I said earlier, let's revisit this topic once our fate is determined. I hope we're celebrating a championship and a Stig contract extension.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            I'm not offended.

ALL football teams lose games they shouldn't (even NDSU!).

The leap from legitimate concerns to wanting a new head coach is like saying I have a headache today so it is time to start thinking about a lobotomy.
                            I'm all for you getting a lobotomy. Where do I send my donation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The reason you aren't getting answers to "who we want to replace Stig" is because we don't want to replace Stig. You and others continue to paint this false narrative (#fakenews) that those of us discussing Stig's future and the future of the program were calling for him to be fired after the UNI loss. That was never the case, and I encourage you to re-read Post #1 as to the genesis of this thread.

Nobody is rooting against Stig. We want to see him succeed. I want to see this team go deep into the playoffs. You want to see this team go deep into the playoffs. Our differences lie in our expectations for THIS team THIS year. I had, and still have, extremely high expectations for this team, especially given our NFL -level talent at the skill positions. Maybe I over bought the pre-season hype, but if this season goes bust someone better be ready to do some 'splainin as to what happened.

As I said earlier, let's revisit this topic once our fate is determined. I hope we're celebrating a championship and a Stig contract extension.
                              Oh man, we've devolved to the "fake news" excuse. Are you really expecting us to believe that the "moving on" in the thread title was referring to moving on to a contract extension and that "Stig's mediocrity" was somehow complimentary?

Talk about "post-truth" at its finest. At least take ownership for the thinly-veiled insults.

Comment

Oh man, we've devolved to the "fake news" excuse. Are you really expecting us to believe that the "moving on" in the thread title was referring to moving on to a contract extension and that "Stig's mediocrity" was somehow complimentary?

Talk about "post-truth" at its finest. At least take ownership for the thinly-veiled insults.
                                There's a reason that there's a question mark at the end, not a period or an exclamation mark. This thread simply posed a question and brought it up for discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X