Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    Or maybe he realizes better options aren't feasible at this time. With the exception of this forum and some of my neighbors on the east side, FCS Championship-caliber coaches aren't just strolling down the street right now.
    or maybe you have no idea what he's thinking. I see moves taking place year in and year out at the FCS level. My prediction, which i'm almost always wrong...if we miss the playoffs Stig will step down.

Comment

Or maybe he realizes better options aren't feasible at this time. With the exception of this forum and some of my neighbors on the east side, FCS Championship-caliber coaches aren't just strolling down the street right now.
      Especially the streets of Brookings, well at least until November 4th........too soon?

Comment

I agree with the train of thought that we've seen the ceiling of a Stig coached team. I have a hard time agreeing that a change should be made. Who is the upgrade here? Is the job as attractive as we think it is? Could we get Nielson here (he might be coaching in the MAC next year with the job he's done with less than ideal circumstances)? Remember that Stig was all but left for dead after UW Oshkosh but really turned that one around. But that it's what has been so frustrating about these teams - a lack of intangibles like toughness, urgency, consistency. And marginal defenses who can't get off the field on third floor down. We've had a few standout individuals on D over the years but overall there has always been a lack of talent and depth. The top teams in this league have good defenses. NDSU needs no further explanation. Lot at USD, even. As impressive as they have looked on O, I've been must impressed with their defense.

Stig is getting up there. Maybe he'll put himself out to pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
          or maybe you have no idea what he's thinking. I see moves taking place year in and year out at the FCS level. My prediction, which i'm almost always wrong...if we miss the playoffs Stig will step down.
          Correct, I have no idea what anyone associated with Jacks' leadership is thinking, but if you think axing a coordinator now will result in someone off the street taking a job for five or six games with a coach who may indeed be out at the end of the season, I think you're sadly mistaken.

The only way that happens is if the new hire is assured he would be elevated to head coach in 2018, which would seemingly do irreparable damage to team chemistry. I suppose if the season's lost, chemistry may not be as important to some, but it could have implications in 2018 if players recruited by Stig and his staff feel the current staff is treated unfairly.
          Last edited by jakejc795; 10-15-2017, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            Especially the streets of Brookings, well at least until November 4th........too soon?
            Going out on a limb, and sawing off the branch, I think the Jacks win on 11/4, thereby causing forum pandemonium when folks think it means Stig stays.

Admittedly, this is due to a gut feeling like I had prior to Redbird game a couple years ago when folks counted the Jacks out before that one.

Comment

Going out on a limb, and sawing off the branch, I think the Jacks win on 11/4, thereby causing forum pandemonium when folks think it means Stig stays.

Admittedly, this is due to a gut feeling like I had prior to Redbird game a couple years ago when folks counted the Jacks out before that one.
              I hope you are right. That is we win on 11/4. The bizun looked pretty solid in the final minutes of the game against YSU that I watched on ESPN3. I do agree we have games yet to win, and how it stacks up at the end of the season remains to be seen. I like your positive take on the rest of the season. I cant give more rept. points but would if they were available.

Comment

[QUOTE=jakejc795;318651]Correct, I have no idea what anyone associated with Jacks' leadership is thinking, but if you think axing a coordinator now will result in someone off the street taking a job for five or six games with a coach who may indeed be out at the end of the season, I think you're sadly mistaken.

The only way that happens is if the new hire is assured he would be elevated to head coach in 2018, which would seemingly do irreparable damage to team chemistry.

Because our team chemistry is so fantastic as it is right now???? Sure doesn't seem to be that way.

Firing anyone mid season won't do any good. Not sure that anyone is seriously advocating that. But we should make a change this off season. Which is what every other program in America does when it's time for a change.

We are a very attractive job in the FCS. Look at the average attendence at 90% of the other schools in the subdivision, and the setting they play in. Most play in a market that is washed out with fans of the local FBS team, and the general fan in their area doesn't care about FCS football. They have terrible stadiums, and even worse fan support.

In the FCS, the top jobs are (in no order):
                Ndsu
                MONTANA
                MONTANA STATE
                DELAWARE
                JMU
                JACKSONVILLE STATE
                SDSU
                USD
                UND

Some notable teams I'd leave off the list:
                EWU - Do a little research on how long they've been trying to fund the "gateway" project.
                UNI - They are constantly third fiddle to the FBS schools, have had their funding cut, and are primarily a basketball school now.
                ISUR - Overshadowed by Illinos, and even when they've had great teams, they still hover around 10,000 in average attendence at a school with over 21,000 students enrolled.
                Nova - BBall schools with a stadium unfit for most high schools.
                Sam Houston - Great recruiting grounds, but it's still in the middle of an extremely over saturated market. They averged just under 8000 fans per game last season.

No compare that with what we have here:
                One of the largest stadiums in the FCS.
                A decent average attendence, with the ability to have 17,000+ fans at a game.
                No immediate in state FBS competition
                We are the largest University in the state
                A metro of almost 200000 people 50 miles down the road who have no FBS team in their backyard to cheer for.
                Full cost of attendance to athletes, which something only a few schools do
                Close proximity to strong recruiting grounds in MN, Nebr, Wisconsin.

If you ask most fans of other FCS teams, they would kill to be in our position.

The kind of coach we could get is going to be either a proven coordinator at a strong FCS program, a good coordinator at a low level FBS program looking for his first head job, or a proven successful D2 coach.

If you don't think we have one of the best,set ups in the FCS, then you need to do a lot more research on where we stack up in the pecking order in our subdivision.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I hope you are right. That is we win on 11/4. The bizun looked pretty solid in the final minutes of the game against YSU that I watched on ESPN3. I do agree we have games yet to win, and how it stacks up at the end of the season remains to be seen. I like your positive take on the rest of the season. I cant give more rept. points but would if they were available.
                  I watched the last 10 minutes or so of that game, and the one announcer said that YSU was essentially stacking the box and leaving the Bison receivers in man coverage to neutralize Stick's runs (and because they didn't respect Bison receivers). Wonder what would happen if Jacks tried the same thing.

Thanks for the rep.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    [
                    If you don't think we have one of the best,set ups in the FCS, then you need to do a lot more research on where we stack up in the pecking order in our subdivision.
                    Not sure why you'd think I negatively assess the Jacks' FCS attractiveness in the areas you mentioned. The question marks for me would be pay; not just for the head coach, but also (and perhaps most importantly) for his coordinators. Do you have a ranking on Jacks coordinators' pay relative other FCS schools?

Comment

Hahahahahaha, we aren’t beating NDSU. We are going to be lucky to keep it within 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure why you'd think I negatively assess the Jacks' FCS attractiveness in the areas you mentioned. The question marks for me would be pay; not just for the head coach, but also (and perhaps most importantly) for his coordinators. Do you have a ranking on Jacks coordinators' pay relative other FCS schools?
                        The last half of my post wasn't aimed at you, just speaking in general.

Our pay for our coordinators is publicly available, so I'm assuming some of those public schools I mentioned we could look up.

I also think that a new head coach will get significantly more money than Stig currently makes. Look what happened in our bball coaching situation. Nagy made about 250,000 as a base. TJ got hired at either 300,000 or 350,000 base. I would expect our football coach to be making somewhere in the 300 to 400 range in his first year. Stig currently makes about 240k I beleive.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                          Hahahahahaha, we aren’t beating NDSU. We are going to be lucky to keep it within 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Like I said lopped off the limb I went out on based on a gut feeling. We'll see what happens next month. Hopefully the team doesn't share your pessimism.

Comment

Time for Stig to move on?

If the program's actual goal is to win in Frisco, how many people think this staff will ever accomplish that?
                            Yes Stig is a wonderful man, but as others have said this program has peaked under him.
                            We have arguably our most talented team ever and are sitting in the middle of a season like this. So next year could be a rebuilding year and do we want this staff to rebuild and take another shot with a "loaded" team in a couple years?
                            Just my opinion, but it is time for a change.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr_Tibbs;318659]
                              Correct, I have no idea what anyone associated with Jacks' leadership is thinking, but if you think axing a coordinator now will result in someone off the street taking a job for five or six games with a coach who may indeed be out at the end of the season, I think you're sadly mistaken.

The only way that happens is if the new hire is assured he would be elevated to head coach in 2018, which would seemingly do irreparable damage to team chemistry.

Because our team chemistry is so fantastic as it is right now???? Sure doesn't seem to be that way.

Firing anyone mid season won't do any good. Not sure that anyone is seriously advocating that. But we should make a change this off season. Which is what every other program in America does when it's time for a change.

We are a very attractive job in the FCS. Look at the average attendence at 90% of the other schools in the subdivision, and the setting they play in. Most play in a market that is washed out with fans of the local FBS team, and the general fan in their area doesn't care about FCS football. They have terrible stadiums, and even worse fan support.

In the FCS, the top jobs are (in no order):
                              Ndsu
                              MONTANA
                              MONTANA STATE
                              DELAWARE
                              JMU
                              JACKSONVILLE STATE
                              SDSU
                              USD
                              UND

Some notable teams I'd leave off the list:
                              EWU - Do a little research on how long they've been trying to fund the "gateway" project.
                              UNI - They are constantly third fiddle to the FBS schools, have had their funding cut, and are primarily a basketball school now.
                              ISUR - Overshadowed by Illinos, and even when they've had great teams, they still hover around 10,000 in average attendence at a school with over 21,000 students enrolled.
                              Nova - BBall schools with a stadium unfit for most high schools.
                              Sam Houston - Great recruiting grounds, but it's still in the middle of an extremely over saturated market. They averged just under 8000 fans per game last season.

No compare that with what we have here:
                              One of the largest stadiums in the FCS.
                              A decent average attendence, with the ability to have 17,000+ fans at a game.
                              No immediate in state FBS competition
                              We are the largest University in the state
                              A metro of almost 200000 people 50 miles down the road who have no FBS team in their backyard to cheer for.
                              Full cost of attendance to athletes, which something only a few schools do
                              Close proximity to strong recruiting grounds in MN, Nebr, Wisconsin.

If you ask most fans of other FCS teams, they would kill to be in our position.

The kind of coach we could get is going to be either a proven coordinator at a strong FCS program, a good coordinator at a low level FBS program looking for his first head job, or a proven successful D2 coach.

And as much as I Agree that something needs to be done (I'd like to see the current regime find what was working last year and do that again). I would like to Point out Mr. Stig is responsible for us getting here. That's no defense of my perceived Waste of This years talent, the only thing left is the hope that it's changed this week and next week before it too late.

Comment

[QUOTE=slosho;318678]
                                Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

And as much as I Agree that something needs to be done (I'd like to see the current regime find what was working last year and do that again). I would like to Point out Mr. Stig is responsible for us getting here. That's no defense of my perceived Waste of This years talent, the only thing left is the hope that it's changed this week and next week before it too late.
                                Valid point. Stig took us from an also ran to a top 15 program year in and year out. I think we need somone else to take us beyond that though.

Comment

Working...
                                X