Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    Krockett never played. If there had been another injury at DT they would have burned it, but at this point he hasn't played.

Also, I think they problem isn't necessarily that they haven't been successful. It is that they would be more successful in a 5th year and the team would possibly be more successful with more experience. This isn't a fault of the players. Just a fault of long running problem with attrition on the defensive side of the ball. We have seemingly had greater success retaining top talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Here is a list of guys who could/should be playing on our defense this year:
    Trey Carr (CB)
    Shaq Taylor (CB)
    JT Hassle (OLB)
    Cole Langer (DT)
    Jesse Bobbit (OLB)
    Jordan Birchachek (DT)
    Kyle Tuttle (OLB)
    Jake Harms (OLB)
    Blake Whitsell (DT)

Again, every program has this. Players leave. Players get injured. Players play as true freshman. However, this list of 9 is pretty damn good, at least the contributions they made in their limited time. But compare this to where we burned redshirts. OLB, DT, and DE.

On offense, we have lost a number of offensive linemen since Eck joined. Were they not good enough? Did they not like the coaching change? Were they just tired of football? Were their bodies beat up? I'm sure its a combination of all of that.
    Forgot Christian Banasiak. Hell, you could move Hassle to DE and have yourself a hell of a lineup. Just missing a couple of safeties.

Never mind, forgot Bryson McCabe who is an All Big Sky performer at safety.
    Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 10-20-2017, 10:38 AM. Reason: McCabe
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I don't think anyone is claiming its a great idea. Ideally these guys would all be redshirting.

Lets go position by position again this year.
      One the offensive line what would you do? Carbis quit, Clark was suspended, Dobrenski wasn't supposed to play this season but had an incredible recovery from injury. Caleb Lang is a great guy but not a quality backup on the offensive line. I don't know the answer, but would you rather have Lickiss, Domandle and Miller getting their first snaps against Duquesne or NDSU should injury to the starters occur? There literally are not other quality bodies at the position.

Tight end. No matter what the coaches said. Dallas was hurt in week one. Sam Steckmen was hurt most of camp and had barely practiced. Were the Jacks supposed to go in with just 1 tight end, Kal Hart?

Defensive tackle. Lost three DT's to graduation and 1 to injury retirement. Yes, there should be better depth and yes the coaches should have been planning better for graduation, but there isn't. Ward had to play. If Dominic Simpson had been here, he probably would have played instead as he is a much bigger body. If Whitsell doesn't get injured again, maybe neither would have had their redshirts pulled. A rotation of Soulek, Whitsell, Hildahl and Stacker isn't terrible in my opinion. Barrett could provide depth instead of being asked to play a ton.

Outside Linebacker. Injuries again. Losing Harms and Tuttle hurt alot. They were both going to compete for the starting position with Backhaus and Kleinschmit. Whoever didn't win that would have provided good depth. Tuttle was having a great fall camp before his injury. Workman was also hurt most of camp and then losing Tetzlaff to injury only made the situation worse. Brandon Thomas and Jeremy Christner are coming off a position changes. Okay players but learning a new position. We have seen Cox's limitations in the few times he has lined up as a OLB.

Again, every team has injuries but some positions have certainly been hit harder than others.
      Great post. I only commented since some of the posts for defending pulling shirts were a bit strange to say the least.

Comment

I was hoping this thread was a joke, but clearly, it is not. We have a couple of rough games and it's time for Stig to go. Unbelievable. As for burning redshirts. None of us attend practices or meetings. None of us is more qualified than the coaching staff to determine which players give us the best chance to win. Stig has said publicly that players would certainly be better in their 5th year than they are in their first year, but the pressure to win right now is so intense that he doesn't have the luxury of saving those players for a theoretically better day 4 years from now. I would offer this very thread as evidence that he is right. Nobody not named NDSU has made the playoffs as consistently as SDSU. Stig does it while recruiting high-caliber citizens who graduate. I only hope that all of our coaches can be as bad as Stig apparently is.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceAJackAlwaysAJack View Post
          I was hoping this thread was a joke, but clearly, it is not. We have a couple of rough games and it's time for Stig to go. Unbelievable. As for burning redshirts. None of us attend practices or meetings. None of us is more qualified than the coaching staff to determine which players give us the best chance to win. Stig has said publicly that players would certainly be better in their 5th year than they are in their first year, but the pressure to win right now is so intense that he doesn't have the luxury of saving those players for a theoretically better day 4 years from now. I would offer this very thread as evidence that he is right. Nobody not named NDSU has made the playoffs as consistently as SDSU. Stig does it while recruiting high-caliber citizens who graduate. I only hope that all of our coaches can be as bad as Stig apparently is.
          Maybe try reading the entire thread before firing off your 2nd post on this Board. Just a suggestion.

Comment

I read them all. I didn’t realize being a new poster disqualified me from having an opinion.

Comment

I read them all. I didn’t realize being a new poster disqualified me from having an opinion.
              I didn't realize you had to be part of the coaching staff to have an opinion about redshirts?

Comment

Yes to everything said in this post. This thread runs on emotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Or... It runs on legitimate concerns and issues that some people would rather bring up and discuss than turn a blind eye to. See my recent post in the game week thread for one of those concerns.

Comment

It does not.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      Or... It runs on legitimate concerns and issues that some people would rather bring up and discuss than turn a blind eye to. See my recent post in the game week thread for one of those concerns.
                      Agreed.

Comment

It just means someone "pulled your posting redshirt" too early. Some folks think you need to sit on the Forum bench "getting mental reps" until you get so jaded that not calling for a coach's head after a loss means you don't care about the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I was trying to provide facts. Ha
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

If the Hobo Day had more favorable results, would we discussing how Stig’s career ends? I don’t think so, emotions were stirred and feelings and concerns were vented here on this board. I am cool but do we have all the facts.

Comment

facts have no business being used on the interwebs.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
                                You were pretty nice with your response. I never cease to be amazed stuff folks post. When you pull a shirt, you are sacrificing their best year of football for their worst. Pulling a shirt should be the exception if you want to be successful.
                                Thank you. It's a message board. There is no reason to take anything posted personal.
                                We...ARE...STATE!
                                SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X