Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
    My biggest question is what has happened to the SDSU defense? Last year they did not start out very good, but they picked it up in the second half of the season. This year is their worst year probably since going FCS (haven't checked the stats, but it feels that way). Did some recruits not pan out? Injuries?
    I'm not sure about stats but to me it seems like there is a moment defining 3rd down that they are unable to get off the field and surrender a long drive that consumes 8-9 min and cover 10-12 plays. I think lack of depth at DT has affected this season as with being undersized at that position.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
      Why do you want it to peter out? I don't get that....
      When I crawled out of bed Sunday morning, I started my day resolved to use "peter out" in a sentence at some point during the day. It just seemed to fit.

Comment

THAT is 100% fair in my view. Ha. Good answer.

Comment

Stig has no plan to change any scheme. He has said this is our defensive scheme(play off LOS, read, no pressure, 4-3) and no changes are going to happen. He says the read option (no under center, pro style) offense is it and no changes. This mentality will kill this program and ultimately his job. It’s your job as a HC to make changes, even if minor, to win games, confuse opponents and look different. I believe Stig’s excuse with UNI was they CHANGED defensive look and went from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and we didn’t practice for it. Imagine that, a HC from the opposition changing up schemes to beat an opponent. Yes, it happens and it’s your job to not be the same vanilla team game after game. It’s rather easy to go against the defense when you see the same vanilla scheme on tape game after game and that bad looking read option offense. Get with your coordinators and figure this team out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
            Stig has no plan to change any scheme. He has said this is our defensive scheme(play off LOS, read, no pressure, 4-3) and no changes are going to happen. He says the read option (no under center, pro style) offense is it and no changes. This mentality will kill this program and ultimately his job. It’s your job as a HC to make changes, even if minor, to win games, confuse opponents and look different. I believe Stig’s excuse with UNI was they CHANGED defensive look and went from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and we didn’t practice for it. Imagine that, a HC from the opposition changing up schemes to beat an opponent. Yes, it happens and it’s your job to not be the same vanilla team game after game. It’s rather easy to go against the defense when you see the same vanilla scheme on tape game after game and that bad looking read option offense. Get with your coordinators and figure this team out.
            100% agree with this. I specifically remember Pelini at one of his press conferences leading up to the game saying that our defense doesn't do much, maybe blitz occasionally but its mostly just base. I know Stig has been asked in previous years if he would consider using a 3-4, and of course his answer was "No, its not what we do".

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr_Tibbs;318659]
              Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
              Correct, I have no idea what anyone associated with Jacks' leadership is thinking, but if you think axing a coordinator now will result in someone off the street taking a job for five or six games with a coach who may indeed be out at the end of the season, I think you're sadly mistaken.

The only way that happens is if the new hire is assured he would be elevated to head coach in 2018, which would seemingly do irreparable damage to team chemistry.

Because our team chemistry is so fantastic as it is right now???? Sure doesn't seem to be that way.

Firing anyone mid season won't do any good. Not sure that anyone is seriously advocating that. But we should make a change this off season. Which is what every other program in America does when it's time for a change.

We are a very attractive job in the FCS. Look at the average attendence at 90% of the other schools in the subdivision, and the setting they play in. Most play in a market that is washed out with fans of the local FBS team, and the general fan in their area doesn't care about FCS football. They have terrible stadiums, and even worse fan support.

In the FCS, the top jobs are (in no order):
              Ndsu
              MONTANA
              MONTANA STATE
              DELAWARE
              JMU
              JACKSONVILLE STATE
              SDSU
              USD
              UND

Some notable teams I'd leave off the list:
              EWU - Do a little research on how long they've been trying to fund the "gateway" project.
              UNI - They are constantly third fiddle to the FBS schools, have had their funding cut, and are primarily a basketball school now.
              ISUR - Overshadowed by Illinos, and even when they've had great teams, they still hover around 10,000 in average attendence at a school with over 21,000 students enrolled.
              Nova - BBall schools with a stadium unfit for most high schools.
              Sam Houston - Great recruiting grounds, but it's still in the middle of an extremely over saturated market. They averged just under 8000 fans per game last season.

No compare that with what we have here:
              One of the largest stadiums in the FCS.
              A decent average attendence, with the ability to have 17,000+ fans at a game.
              No immediate in state FBS competition
              We are the largest University in the state
              A metro of almost 200000 people 50 miles down the road who have no FBS team in their backyard to cheer for.
              Full cost of attendance to athletes, which something only a few schools do
              Close proximity to strong recruiting grounds in MN, Nebr, Wisconsin.

If you ask most fans of other FCS teams, they would kill to be in our position.

The kind of coach we could get is going to be either a proven coordinator at a strong FCS program, a good coordinator at a low level FBS program looking for his first head job, or a proven successful D2 coach.

If you don't think we have one of the best,set ups in the FCS, then you need to do a lot more research on where we stack up in the pecking order in our subdivision.
              Does SDSU truly have Cost of Attendance?

Comment

[QUOTE=New Jack;318838]
                Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

Does SDSU truly have Cost of Attendance?
                Last I heard it was a case by case basis...so far from having it standard. The post lost all credibility when it said UND is a top job in the FCS...I mean, it shows the guy is just throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks.

Comment

is Stig on a multiyear contract?
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                    Best Post,I always thought Stig was too stubborn to change ,if not stubborn (too harsh?) ,then set in his ways (old school ,Div 2ish?).I would really be for,and wish for keeping Stig as coach,but he's got to open his eyes to the harsh reality somethings wrong this season,too many teams have figured out how to beat us,too easily.

I don't like putting people on the hot seat,I don't derive any sort of twisted pleasure in doing so, so I really am rooting for Stig to figure it out and keep his HC job for us,I really do. Hope the next game we just clobber them.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-17-2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Maybe Stig's just putting out disinformation knowing Bison spies (TransAm!) will take it back to the Bison wallow and share it. Then we'll spring the fake field goal attempt, a 3-4 defense, and -- everyone's favorite -- the wildcat.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        Maybe Stig's just putting out disinformation knowing Bison spies (TransAm!) will take it back to the Bison wallow and share it. Then we'll spring the fake field goal attempt, a 3-4 defense, and -- everyone's favorite -- the wildcat.
                        Or maybe he took it even further...he tanked this game to fake out the Bison...all the things that haven't been working...yeah that was just a smoke screen. Taryn will go 45/45 for 856 yds passing...to just Dallas and Jake. Your running back will even get 10 yards. (sorry...not a big fan of him...hope you keep him for 8 years).

Seriously though, I expect SDSU to produce their greatest performance of the season when we play. That's just how this goes.

Comment

Or maybe he took it even further...he tanked this game to fake out the Bison...all the things that haven't been working...yeah that was just a smoke screen. Taryn will go 45/45 for 856 yds passing...to just Dallas and Jake. Your running back will even get 10 yards. (sorry...not a big fan of him...hope you keep him for 8 years).

Seriously though, I expect SDSU to produce their greatest performance of the season when we play. That's just how this goes.
                          AND SDSU COULD WIN TOO.

Comment

Or maybe he took it even further...he tanked this game to fake out the Bison...all the things that haven't been working...yeah that was just a smoke screen. Taryn will go 45/45 for 856 yds passing...to just Dallas and Jake. ...
                            Damn. I see they didn't take the bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              AND SDSU COULD WIN TOO.
                              No doubt in my mind they could win. I expect it to be a close...

Comment

Stig will get to stay as long as he wants, barring a complete collapse of a season or two. And he's earned that.

I went to SDSU in the late 80's early 90's, and to say the program was stuck in mediocrity is an understatement. Occasionally they would have a decent squad, but never that good.

Stig took the program up a level, and improved the quality of the team, and the quality of play, pretty much every step of the way.

That being said, he's not a spring chicken, either. Someday he'll want to hang up the whistle. And if anyone think the losses and disappointments don't weigh on the coaches, that they just don't care or whatever, well that's just ludicrous.

I'm disappointed in the results of this year's team too. How could you not be?

However, I keep coming back to the start of that game:
                                1. Defense forces a 3 and out, followed by a fumbled punt return. (should have been a fair catch.) Held them to a field goal.
                                2. Next possesion, Interception returned to 3 yard line. (bad pass shouldn't have been thrown) TD, down 10-0. The team was down 10-0 in a heartbeat.
                                3. Then, a 3 and out, followed by another TD and it's 17-0.
                                4. Then, the Jacks fumble a kick return.

It was 17-0 end of the first quarter, and the Jacks had committed 3 Turnovers. all 3 in our own territory.

That's not even mentioning the missed FG, the missed, XP, and the botched snap on a field goal.

If they could have made those plays... which really, they should have, it's 24-13 at half, and there's a heck of a lot more hope, than going in down 24-6.

I don't think it was lack of effort, and I don't think it was lack of preparation (although supposedly the 3-4 caused some trouble).

It was more like a worst day possible scenario. It just all snowballed from there. I have no doubts about the talent on the team.

I hope they can bounce back, and be a pain in the butt for everyone else the rest of the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X