Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
    I'm going to start it, it needs to be asked. Is it time for Stig to move on? I absolutely adore the man. He's one the best man I know. I think we have hit our peak (obviously last year). The team under performs every single year. We lose games we shouldn't. We come out flat. We have talent all over the field and they pull an effort like Youngstown and now an inferior UNI team.
    Let's get this started and have some good dialog, I might be way off, so let's hear pros and cons.
    I'm not happy about the loss to UNI, but I couldn't disagree more with the idea that Stig needs to go.

IMO, you don't fire a successful coach because you have hit a perceived peak. You don't even fire a successful coach after a bad season (or maybe two).

Where would NDSU football be today if they fired Bohl after 2008 (6-5) or 2009 (3-8, lost to Missouri State at home!)???

You say we hit our peak last year... what are the chances I could find a posts claiming we hit our peak in 2011? Posts like this were reactionary and wrong then, and they are reactionary and wrong now.

There are countless examples of good programs firing good coaches only to struggle. The number of programs who found greater success after an unnecessary attempt to upgrade are few and far between.

Last I checked the season isn't over, and we haven't been eliminated from anything.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
      There is typically a buyout that goes down each year completed. In ND, all this stuff is public; must not be the policy here?
      you can go here and see annual salaries, but I have no idea on contracts.... http://open.sd.gov/employees.aspx
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        OK, shouldn't chime in now, but almost as disgusted with a lot of the comments on this thread, as I am with the way we played Saturday. Sat in the rain till the last play. Was hard to do. Herewith, a few comments:
        1. Don't worry, Justin Sell is as good an athletic director who there is at an FCS school, and we are lucky to have him. I'll trust his judgment on any decisions on staffing...and believe me, he is more capable of making that decision than any of the SDSU fan board members IMO.
        2. I think fans, and fan board members, are as much at fault of going overboard on the football championship band wagon. First go back and read all the early comments of concern about the losses on the offensive and defensive lines, and defensive linebackers in the early threads. Everybody "hoped" we would have no problem filling those spots.
        3. I am with everybody else on wondering what has happened to Taryn this year. And that certainly hasn't helped us.
        4. UNI didn't have a running game earlier, but the back who rolled through our defense was in his first game after having been out on injury as I understand it.
        5. Downplaying what the turnovers did to the team, leaving UNI with a 24-7 first quarter lead, on a cold, wet and miserable day is short sighted IMO.
        6. It ain't over 'til it's over. There's no doubt we still have a real uphill climb ahead. Having said that, I'm not using rose-colored glasses, but I think any discussion on coaching changes could just as well wait until the season is over.
        Solid comments as always from Jacks#1Fan!

I'm as frustrated as everyone else is. But let's take a step back and think about those people in the locker room are feeling about this. You think they aren't frustrated? You think they aren't disappointed in how they've played? These are the same coaches, players, and team that we had last year with the normal given turnover from classes.

Sometimes it all doesn't come together. Everyone thinks its so easy to coach 18-23 year-old kids. Just talk to a college coach about it and you will see how it makes them want to pull their hair out at times. You will also hear how much they love the process of molding these kids into a functioning unit.

Look at the MBB team last year. New coach, new system, and a lot of new faces to start the year. You could say it was a train wreck half way through the year. Then something changed. The kids (and yes, they are kids) bought in, they got used to the system and the finish to the year was excellent. Would we say it was a success? I do.

So, here we are, halfway through the year and we aren't anwhere near where we thought this team would be at this point. Time to panic? Nope! Time to support them? Yep!

One thing for sure, there is nobody more invested and more motivated to turn things around then those people directly involved. Let's give them our support. They need it.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
          I wonder if Taryn is injured. I only watched a little bit...so I'm mostly going off comments I've read and it sounds like he has been just a little off for the last number of games. Easton hurt his back last year against Iowa and his passing was fairly poor the rest of the year. Might not have had anything to do with the passing, but then again maybe it did. Just thinking there has to be a reason the passing game hasn't continued in last year's footsteps.
          It's hard to put your finger on what the problem might be when he can be so wildly inconsistent within segments of the game. When he throws two consecutive downfield lasers to Goedert, you think "Okay, there it is", but then he will overthrow an eight yard pass to an open Jake in the end zone by 15 feet. Or have two receivers on the same side of the field and throw a pass in between them so far off that you aren't sure which one the pass was intended for. If it's an injury you wouldn't think be able to throw a few right on target and then throw a couple of badly off target ones in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            I'm not happy about the loss to UNI, but I couldn't disagree more with the idea that Stig needs to go.

IMO, you don't fire a successful coach because you have hit a perceived peak. You don't even fire a successful coach after a bad season (or maybe two).

Where would NDSU football be today if they fired Bohl after 2008 (6-5) or 2009 (3-8, lost to Missouri State at home!)???

You say we hit our peak last year... what are the chances I could find a posts claiming we hit our peak in 2011? Posts like this were reactionary and wrong then, and they are reactionary and wrong now.

There are countless examples of good programs firing good coaches only to struggle. The number of programs who found greater success after an unnecessary attempt to upgrade are few and far between.

Last I checked the season isn't over, and we haven't been eliminated from anything.
            I had said that I agreed with JackJD and wanted this thread to peter out. but my good friend from SF has made an excellent post that warrants my comments. SF fan, we have had our differences in the past, but this is one post that I am 100 per cent in agreement and you have made some great comments. If we were 0-6 for the year, then I could see the wisdom of making a change. That is not case we are 4-2 and if wins and loses are so damn important, then why dismiss the HC?

Comment

Why do you want it to peter out? I don't get that.

And how does anyone know the team is "invested and motivated" to turn things around? I'd sure like to see some evidence of that. They haven't seemed very motivated or invested so far this year.

Whole lotta blind faith being asked for in this thread. If that is what people are asking for, then ok, but at least be straight about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post

And how does anyone know the team is "invested and motivated" to turn things around? I'd sure like to see some evidence of that. They haven't seemed very motivated or invested so far this year.

Whole lotta blind faith being asked for in this thread. If that is what people are asking for, then ok, but at least be straight about it.
                I guess the obvious response would be how can you tell they aren't invested or motivated? Just because they don't meet the expectations of an intenet board doesn't prove anything. I tend to believe they were highly overrated....but that is just me.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post

And how do you know they arent invested and motivated? Do you think they are out there wanting to lose. Do you think any athlete in any sport wants to lose? My kids grew up in Mitchell where losing football games was a tradition but they went out there every game wanting to kick some ass. They were invested and motivated every game. Just because they got their butts kicked most of the time doesnt mean they werent.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                    I guess the obvious response would be how can you tell they aren't invested or motivated? Just because they don't meet the expectations of an intenet board doesn't prove anything. I tend to believe they were highly overrated....but that is just me.
                    I really hope they weren't highly overrated, because that just means this team is as bad as they've looked so far. I tend to believe they are underachieving, and do have the talent to turn the season around still. They are just missing something, and motivation seems to be one of the problems

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                      I would be in the camp that still thinks Stig and this staff has what it takes to win. This team and this athletic departments off the field accomplishments for academics and community involvement is something to be very proud of. Stig is a big reason for that.
                      But to take the next step we need to:
                      1. Redshirt more guys. (This applies for men's and women's basketball to take the next step too.)
                      2. Find an offensive identity
                      3. Improve interior line play and depth (See #1)
                      4. Run Taryn! He needs to be a playmaker and be the most dangerous offensive threat we have. Taryn seems over coached to me.
                      5. Get Wieneke and Goedert healthy... Neither appear healthy to me.
                      6. Get creative on defense, blitz, stunts whatever it takes.
                      7. If winning is all that matters to you all, then take more risks on FBS transfers and players with questionable pasts. Stig appears to be the perfect coach for kids that needs/ may deserve a second chance.
                      8. Give Taryn some short passes to help get him in rhythm.

I am not a coach but I am undefeated from the stands and on message boards
                      I guess I don't see how redshirting more guys would help. I might argue the opposite (except, perhaps, for an occasional lineman who needs to bulk up). Recruit guys who are good enough to contribute right away and get them on the field. Don't tie up valuable, limited scholarship spots with with guys who can't contribute. ... I think BB Coach Johnston has the right philosophy on this: get players out on the court and see if they can play. (If they can't, let them go and get new recruits. You cycle through more players that way and are mathematically more likely to hit it big more often. Save the redshirts for good transfers, grads, etc. who become available.)
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        I guess I don't see how redshirting more guys would help. I might argue the opposite (except, perhaps, for an occasional lineman who needs to bulk up). Recruit guys who are good enough to contribute right away and get them on the field. Don't tie up valuable, limited scholarship spots with with guys who can't contribute. ... I think BB Coach Johnston has the right philosophy on this: get players out on the court and see if they can play. (If they can't, let them go and get new recruits. You cycle through more players that way and are mathematically more likely to hit it big more often. Save the redshirts for good transfers, grads, etc. who become available.)
                        I too have problems seeing how redshirting is an issue in the current program. This year a few were ready to play and how they adjust academically remains to be seen. I hoping players like Cavanagh, Callender and Urbanek are around to play spring ball. Since moving up to D1, SDSU has added a tutoring services which probably will get used my those I mentioned. I had a hard time adjusting academically and I was not anywhere close to athletics.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 10-16-2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I too have problems seeing how redshirting is an issue in the current program. This year a few were ready to play and how they adjust academically remains to be seen. I hoping players like Cavanagh, Callender and Urbanek are around to play spring ball. Since moving up to D1, SDSU has added a tutoring services which probably will get used my those I mentioned. I had a hard time adjusting academically and I was not anywhere close to athletics.
                          What if anything has been said the ones you mentioned are in need of tutoring services??? Not sure on Cavanaugh’s major but Urbanek is Ops Mgmnt and Callender is an EE major. Unless you were meaning a different kind of tutoring. I don’t think academics is an issue with any of the new freshman, at least not 7 weeks into the semester.

That said, Stig does not need to go. I echo the sentiments written earlier. Many times programs make the change for all the wrong reasons. This program has been on arguably the best 5 year stretch of FB in SDSU's history. A mostly clean, consistent, entertaining team that for the most part epitomizes student athletes and community servants. Do I want to hoist a banner and fill a trophy case? Heck yeah, but not if the integrity of the program suffers. I believe Stig is the right guy to lead us...although I'll admit to how frustrated I get when we lay an egg. I just think it's on more than the HC, although it starts with him. The "game was over" YSU comment on TO's and the "odd front confused us" UNI comment do leave me scratching my head.

Ultimately Sell and Dunn will decide if there are any changes, I just don't believe it should be a knee jerk reaction.
                          Last edited by Jackedforlife; 10-17-2017, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            And how do you know they arent invested and motivated? Do you think they are out there wanting to lose. Do you think any athlete in any sport wants to lose? My kids grew up in Mitchell where losing football games was a tradition but they went out there every game wanting to kick some ass. They were invested and motivated every game. Just because they got their butts kicked most of the time doesnt mean they werent.
                            I tend to agree with you, MR. If anything, I'd say players are "pressing," which is leading to turnovers, risky passes, etc.

However, a player tweeting from the sideline (assuming that is what occurred) is ridiculous. I suppose someone could've had access to his account, but I've made my feelings regarding how that type of behavior, and the behavior that led to the suspension, reflect misplaced priorities.

Comment

How can I tell they're not invested or motivated? YET ANOTHER embarrassing Hobo Day loss to a lesser squad and you're asking that? They could just as well put it up on the Jumbotron at DJD.

Comment

My biggest question is what has happened to the SDSU defense? Last year they did not start out very good, but they picked it up in the second half of the season. This year is their worst year probably since going FCS (haven't checked the stats, but it feels that way). Did some recruits not pan out? Injuries?

Comment

Working...
                                X