Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for Stig to move on?

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    Which of those personnel losses do you think has been most detrimental?

Mears at safety stands out to me (largely because I think the losses at LB have been reduced due to Rozeboom's continued excellence and Backhaus' emergence).
    Mears seemed to miss quite a bit of time because of injuries, so I would say Langer and Bobbit. They gave some toughness and leadership that seems to be missing a bit now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Mears seemed to miss quite a bit of time because of injuries, so I would say Langer and Bobbit. They gave some toughness and leadership that seems to be missing a bit now.
      Possibly leadership, although I think current LBs have a bit more quickness.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        For me it all starts up front on both sides of the ball. You look at NDSU’s success their O & D lines control the game.
        Definitely be interesting to see how those match up with Jacks and 'Yotes next month.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          For me it all starts up front on both sides of the ball. You look at NDSU’s success their O & D lines control the game.
          The performance of the offensive line has been somewhat disappointing to me because of all the experience that returned. On a related note, is Matt Clark still with the team ? I heard somewhere (Zimmer's chat ?) that he wasn't, but he is still listed on the roster. If he is, he should now be eligible - have no idea if the coaching staff would be inclined to work him back into the rotation or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            The performance of the offensive line has been somewhat disappointing to me because of all the experience that returned. On a related note, is Matt Clark still with the team ? I heard somewhere (Zimmer's chat ?) that he wasn't, but he is still listed on the roster. If he is, he should now be eligible - have no idea if the coaching staff would be inclined to work him back into the rotation or not.
            Was not Clark one of the two suspended for six games? If so he should be playing this Saturday against Mo St.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              I think the sexual assault issues affected the program so don't try to add to what I wrote. In my opinion, the U of Montana is still an attractive place for a coach. If you don't like that example, there are many other examples of schools that change coaches only to find that the replacement couldn't improve on what the terminated coach had achieved.

One could probably argue there are examples of programs that were struggling and made coaching changes that worked out well. USD may be such an example. But changing coaches hasn't worked out well for a lot of programs that were having some level of success.

While I disliked what I saw on the field Saturday, it's my two-cents' worth that we have no justification for considering a coaching switch at this point. I want to see how this season plays out.
              The university of Montana is a poor example because the new coach was behind the eight ball because of decisions made by previous coaches mainly Bobby Hauck. Pfluger took the fall. It's funny you use Montana, the same Montana that knocked us out of the playoffs what two years ago?

A new coach here would have a really good foundation to build on.

I just hate how people don't think we could do better. It's a South Dakota way of thinking, let's just settle with ok. Good thing USD didn't settle with fearEd.

Is now the time? No clue and am glad I don't have to make the decision. I'm disappointed in the season this far. That's all I know.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                Be carful what you wish for. Ask Nebraska fans. I bet they wish they had 9 win Solich still at the helm.
                Duly noted, however not a descent comparison. Solich wouldn't do crap in the Big Ten either. Their issue stems from power hungry AD's and bad hires. We have a gem of an AD. Why can't we use Georgia as a comparison. Richt had them close year in and year out, but not over the hump. They waited and found the right guy (so far this season). I do t think this regime can win us a title. We get to big games and they change up what we do and get cute. We don't line up and do what we do to win games.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  The university of Montana is a poor example because the new coach was behind the eight ball because of decisions made by previous coaches mainly Bobby Hauck. Pfluger took the fall. It's funny you use Montana, the same Montana that knocked us out of the playoffs what two years ago?

A new coach here would have a really good foundation to build on.

I just hate how people don't think we could do better. It's a South Dakota way of thinking, let's just settle with ok. Good thing USD didn't settle with fearEd.

Is now the time? No clue and am glad I don't have to make the decision. I'm disappointed in the season this far. That's all I know.
                  Part of the foundation being what Stig helped build, and for those posters comparing BB to FB salaries, we need to revisit and compare the differing number of coaches and coordinators between those two sports. Here is a list of FBS coordinators' salaries (from whence some believe we could hire a coach). We are either going to have to hope someone's prior employer does to their head coach what some are advocating be done to Stig or essentially pay at least half of what Stig is being paid for decent coordinators.

Stitt at UM previously coached at DII's Colorado School of Mines, so the replacement might not have experience recruiting at the scale the FCS schools do. I suppose that possible deficiency could be at least partially alleviated by keeping someone like Eck, but I also have to wonder how the new hire would view a program that just ran out a coach who had taken the Jacks to five consecutive playoff appearances. As I've said before, I still think the Jacks surprise and win games folks here think they won't; quite honestly, I am more worried about USD than NDSU, but some of that stems from the fact that losing to USD would be more "painful" to my pride as a Jacks fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                    Duly noted, however not a descent comparison. Solich wouldn't do crap in the Big Ten either. Their issue stems from power hungry AD's and bad hires. We have a gem of an AD. Why can't we use Georgia as a comparison. Richt had them close year in and year out, but not over the hump. They waited and found the right guy (so far this season). I do t think this regime can win us a title. We get to big games and they change up what we do and get cute. We don't line up and do what we do to win games.
                    Georgia hasn't had a national championship since the Reagan era either, but if you think of NDSU as the FCS's version of 'Bama, I suppose the Jacks being LSU or Georgia might be considered a compliment.

Speaking of LSU, we might want to consider Orgeron's growing pains when considering our "grass is always greener" question.

Side note - how much longer do you think Sell will be here?

Comment

It's been painfully obvious for a long time that we will never win big games with stig. Maybe moving on works, maybe not. We have an AD that has been knocking it out of the park with his hires. There's no reason not to give him a chance to do it again. I'd rather take that chance than continue to earn the right to get our butt kicked in Fargo to end every year.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                        Georgia hasn't had a national championship since the Reagan era either, but if you think of NDSU as the FCS's version of 'Bama, I suppose the Jacks being LSU or Georgia might be considered a compliment.

Speaking of LSU, we might want to consider Orgeron's growing pains when considering our "grass is always greener" question.

Side note - how much longer do you think Sell will be here?
                        I think we will be lucky to keep Sell 5 more years. I would rather have Sell find this guy before he leaves. There are coaches out there that can get us over the hump, Sell just has to find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                          It's been painfully obvious for a long time that we will never win big games with stig. Maybe moving on works, maybe not. We have an AD that has been knocking it out of the park with his hires. There's no reason not to give him a chance to do it again. I'd rather take that chance than continue to earn the right to get our butt kicked in Fargo to end every year.
                          I, too, think Justin Sell has been an excellent AD. I think he's qualified to make the call on when it's time for a coach to move on. I suspect this discussion on a fan message board will have no influence on such a decision.

Comment

I would be in the camp that still thinks Stig and this staff has what it takes to win. This team and this athletic departments off the field accomplishments for academics and community involvement is something to be very proud of. Stig is a big reason for that.
                            But to take the next step we need to:
                            1. Redshirt more guys. (This applies for men's and women's basketball to take the next step too.)
                            2. Find an offensive identity
                            3. Improve interior line play and depth (See #1)
                            4. Run Taryn! He needs to be a playmaker and be the most dangerous offensive threat we have. Taryn seems over coached to me.
                            5. Get Wieneke and Goedert healthy... Neither appear healthy to me.
                            6. Get creative on defense, blitz, stunts whatever it takes.
                            7. If winning is all that matters to you all, then take more risks on FBS transfers and players with questionable pasts. Stig appears to be the perfect coach for kids that needs/ may deserve a second chance.
                            8. Give Taryn some short passes to help get him in rhythm.

I am not a coach but I am undefeated from the stands and on message boards
                            We...ARE...STATE!
                            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

OK, shouldn't chime in now, but almost as disgusted with a lot of the comments on this thread, as I am with the way we played Saturday. Sat in the rain till the last play. Was hard to do. Herewith, a few comments:
                              1. Don't worry, Justin Sell is as good an athletic director who there is at an FCS school, and we are lucky to have him. I'll trust his judgment on any decisions on staffing...and believe me, he is more capable of making that decision than any of the SDSU fan board members IMO.
                              2. I think fans, and fan board members, are as much at fault of going overboard on the football championship band wagon. First go back and read all the early comments of concern about the losses on the offensive and defensive lines, and defensive linebackers in the early threads. Everybody "hoped" we would have no problem filling those spots.
                              3. I am with everybody else on wondering what has happened to Taryn this year. And that certainly hasn't helped us.
                              4. UNI didn't have a running game earlier, but the back who rolled through our defense was in his first game after having been out on injury as I understand it.
                              5. Downplaying what the turnovers did to the team, leaving UNI with a 24-7 first quarter lead, on a cold, wet and miserable day is short sighted IMO.
                              6. It ain't over 'til it's over. There's no doubt we still have a real uphill climb ahead. Having said that, I'm not using rose-colored glasses, but I think any discussion on coaching changes could just as well wait until the season is over.

Comment

Agree with Jacks#1Fan.

I hope this thread peters out. We have some serious football ahead of this team and I have to believe the players and coaches know a whole lot more than anyone on this message board what has to be done to put the team's best effort on the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X