Time for Stig to move on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for Stig to move on?

My question is do we need to do I clean sweep and get rid of everyone or do try and keep a few that we really like. I personally like what Eck and Jackson have done for the program.
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
      My question is do we need to do I clean sweep and get rid of everyone or do try and keep a few that we really like. I personally like what Eck and Jackson have done for the program.
      That'd be up to the new coach. Guess you'd have to hope he opted for a course like Otz with Klink.

Comment

In coaching,the roster changes from year to year ,and what worked in the past doesn't necessarily work well with a current roster.Talent level rises ,and drops from roster to roster (a good program keeps it steady ,minimum,but rising as much as success allows) Add to this the natural progression of Football itself,it also goes through changes,counter changes new methods,rules, and whatnot.It can all become scrambled up and confusing when all the things that worked the year prior are no longer working. If you are in the middle of a season, solutions have to come more quickly than you are used to...trial and error are measured in the practices,to evaluate and take preventative measures before they can harm your game performance ,this and scouting,having a good idea how your opponent will act on defense and offense and formulating a game plan to take away their strength and exploit their weakness.This is the area we aren't very good at..IMO

When losing occurs when your team should be the better team,somethings missing,or evaluated incorrectly, like selecting the right personnel,the right game plan for that opponent, etc...it's a lot to consider and keep it all flowing in the right direction,and when the wheels start wobbling it can get very distressing.My hats off to anyone in the coaching profession who can cope with,and even enjoy the challenges of such a difficult profession.Stigs a warrior and has battled valiantly,but I wonder if it's still fun for him, he may be slowing down a little,as we all do in time.

Comment

Be carful what you wish for. Ask Nebraska fans. I bet they wish they had 9 win Solich still at the helm.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

And as much as I Agree that something needs to be done (I'd like to see the current regime find what was working last year and do that again). I would like to Point out Mr. Stig is responsible for us getting here. That's no defense of my perceived Waste of This years talent, the only thing left is the hope that it's changed this week and next week before it too late.
            Every message board has some "fire the coach" threads. It is interesting to note that 16 individual members of this board have posted in this thread -- my post makes that 17. I think that the very reason noted by slosho highlighted above is likely the reason most do not care to debate whether we should change coaches. Personally, I think that would set our program back dramatically. If one looks at the trend, I think we continue to improve -- maybe only incrementally but it's still an upward trajectory. We all knew going into this season that we had some position questions and how stout the defensive line was going to be was on a lot of minds. We all knew the MVFC was going to be another dog fight as the conference chews itself up. No one predicted Coach Nielsen at USD would have his team at the top of the conference in his second season but many of us knew that he'd probably have them there in his third season.

I'm as upset and depressed about yesterday's game as anyone. That's the first game I left early since we've gone D1 (with three exceptions, all legitimate excuses to meet appointments in the Twin Cities) and the reason we bailed at half time was poor equipment planning that left one in the group getting wet so we finished it at BWW. I 'm still looking around for a reason or reasons why we played miserably. This morning, I decided we have to credit to UNI for finally reaching some of its potential -- typical hard-hitting bunch of guys who finally put a game together. They had a lot to do with the result.

I'd prefer some of you held your fire until the final results of the season are in and then you can recommend candidates who'll step in and do a better job. My sense is there aren't many candidates out there. I paid attention to Montana's search for a new coach a short while ago --- great program, great support, great facilities, great place to live, trouble returning to dominance.

I guess there's one point we can agree on, we all want to win a national championship.

For those who like to discuss the subject of this thread, carry on. Meanwhile, I'm wondering about the potential of USD and NDSU meeting in a clash of undefeateds! Boy, that idea stinks. Let's see what the Jacks can do the prevent that from happening.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              Be carful what you wish for. Ask Nebraska fans. I bet they wish they had 9 win Solich still at the helm.
              Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Every message board has some "fire the coach" threads. It is interesting to note that 16 individual members of this board have posted in this thread -- my post makes that 17. I think that the very reason noted by slosho highlighted above is likely the reason most do not care to debate whether we should change coaches. Personally, I think that would set our program back dramatically. If one looks at the trend, I think we continue to improve -- maybe only incrementally but it's still an upward trajectory. We all knew going into this season that we had some position questions and how stout the defensive line was going to be was on a lot of minds. We all knew the MVFC was going to be another dog fight as the conference chews itself up. No one predicted Coach Nielsen at USD would have his team at the top of the conference in his second season but many of us knew that he'd probably have them there in his third season.

I'm as upset and depressed about yesterday's game as anyone. That's the first game I left early since we've gone D1 (with three exceptions, all legitimate excuses to meet appointments in the Twin Cities) and the reason we bailed at half time was poor equipment planning that left one in the group getting wet so we finished it at BWW. I 'm still looking around for a reason or reasons why we played miserably. This morning, I decided we have to credit to UNI for finally reaching some of its potential -- typical hard-hitting bunch of guys who finally put a game together. They had a lot to do with the result.

I'd prefer some of you held your fire until the final results of the season are in and then you can recommend candidates who'll step in and do a better job. My sense is there aren't many candidates out there. I paid attention to Montana's search for a new coach a short while ago --- great program, great support, great facilities, great place to live, trouble returning to dominance.

I guess there's one point we can agree on, we all want to win a national championship.

For those who like to discuss the subject of this thread, carry on. Meanwhile, I'm wondering about the potential of USD and NDSU meeting in a clash of undefeateds! Boy, that idea stinks. Let's see what the Jacks can do the prevent that from happening.
                Comparing Montana and rapegate to our situation. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Comparing Montana and rapegate to our situation. Interesting.
                  No comparison to the lead up to the coaching change -- just to the search for a new coach. Surely you knew that.

Comment

To follow up on slosho comment of doing what they did last year, I think we surprised NDSU in the first game with TC's passing and running skills and our two receivers but one year later, they had several months to prepare for our guys and they had done just that so we have to go with our strengths. Everyone seems to agree that this is a very competitive league and even in talent and sooner or later it all catches up. Last year so many of our games were won and won with small margins, USD and SIU both come to mind. Even the Bison are not going to blow everyone up and will find themselves in some very close games, possibly November 4, as an example. Its too early to start thinking about BB and the Summit Tourney. We are just half way through the football schedule.

Comment

Totally fair to withhold final judgment until we are out of playoff contention, out of the playoffs, or National Champions. We might just go on a run for the ages. Stranger things have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        No comparison to the lead up to the coaching change -- just to the search for a new coach. Surely you knew that.
                        If you don't think that whole sexual assault scandal affected the program you're clueless about what happened there. The downfall of that program has more causes than a coaching change.

Comment

Originally posted by bluejack View Post
                          If the program's actual goal is to win in Frisco, how many people think this staff will ever accomplish that?
                          Yes Stig is a wonderful man, but as others have said this program has peaked under him.
                          We have arguably our most talented team ever and are sitting in the middle of a season like this. So next year could be a rebuilding year and do we want this staff to rebuild and take another shot with a "loaded" team in a couple years?
                          Just my opinion, but it is time for a change.
                          I have no argument that the offense may be one of the most talented ever. But I would dispute saying that about the defense. Most everyone here would agree that last year's defense had a problem stopping the power running game. From that starting defense we lost one defensive end, three of the four defensive tackles in the rotation, two linebackers and one safety. Of the three defensive tackles we put in the rotation this year, one had two career tackles and the other two had never played a down of college football. Of the two new starting linebackers, one had very little experience and the other had none. To think this unit would step in and be better this quickly is probably wishful thinking. If you want to argue that the scheme of the defense is part of the problem, I have no problem with that. And tackling ability seems to be an area that needs help.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            If you don't think that whole sexual assault scandal affected the program you're clueless about what happened there. The downfall of that program has more causes than a coaching change.
                            I think the sexual assault issues affected the program so don't try to add to what I wrote. In my opinion, the U of Montana is still an attractive place for a coach. If you don't like that example, there are many other examples of schools that change coaches only to find that the replacement couldn't improve on what the terminated coach had achieved.

One could probably argue there are examples of programs that were struggling and made coaching changes that worked out well. USD may be such an example. But changing coaches hasn't worked out well for a lot of programs that were having some level of success.

While I disliked what I saw on the field Saturday, it's my two-cents' worth that we have no justification for considering a coaching switch at this point. I want to see how this season plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              I have no argument that the offense may be one of the most talented ever. But I would dispute saying that about the defense. Most everyone here would agree that last year's defense had a problem stopping the power running game. From that starting defense we lost one defensive end, three of the four defensive tackles in the rotation, two linebackers and one safety. Of the three defensive tackles we put in the rotation this year, one had two career tackles and the other two had never played a down of college football. Of the two new starting linebackers, one had very little experience and the other had none. To think this unit would step in and be better this quickly is probably wishful thinking. If you want to argue that the scheme of the defense is part of the problem, I have no problem with that. And tackling ability seems to be an area that needs help.
                              Which of those personnel losses do you think has been most detrimental?

Mears at safety stands out to me (largely because I think the losses at LB have been reduced due to Rozeboom's continued excellence and Backhaus' emergence).

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                                Which of those personnel losses do you think has been most detrimental?

Mears at safety stands out to me (largely because I think the losses at LB have been reduced due to Rozeboom's continued excellence and Backhaus' emergence).
                                For me it all starts up front on both sides of the ball. You look at NDSU’s success their O & D lines control the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X