X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: UNI Purple Kitties on Hobo Day

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    Interview with Craig and John:

Q: Have you played up to your potential?
    A: I thought we did against SIU. Did against Montana State in the run game. We surely didn't against UNI or YSU. I don't mind getting beat if he is just better than you. I do mind if you are in the wrong gap or have your assignment wrong.
    I like his response here. I'm ok with losing if we play well. In our most of losses the last few years we just flat out lay eggs.

I think with this team it's incredibly important we get off to a good start. Our wins we have our losses we haven't and weren't able to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
      Geodart is obviously someone you got to satisfy. Throw some screen passes to him in the flats early. Force a connection if you have to.
      Please, no more screens to him in the flats...the last few times he’s been killed down low. Please, please, please get him the ball on the shallow drag route, uncoverable provided the line can give TC more than 2 sec. Or if TC figures out how to throw the post again hit him there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
        Please, no more screens to him in the flats...the last few times he’s been killed down low. Please, please, please get him the ball on the shallow drag route, uncoverable provided the line can give TC more than 2 sec. Or if TC figures out how to throw the post again hit him there.
        How about screens to Mengarelli in flats?

Personally, I would like to see a few more of those.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
          How about screens to Mengarelli in flats?

Personally, I would like to see a few more of those.
          Not to just play contrarian but I disagree.

We haven't really effectively been able to use that play since Zach left. And even then it was ran all too often on 3rd down for a loss or a very short gain. Unless you can get excellent blocking and someone that's very Dynamic out of the backfield this play doesn't work. it needs to die a horrible death on our team. the resurrection of it this year is further proof that we have regressed to what we've always done. please stop running that play. The next thing we'll see is the Wildcat comeback with Goddert running it. Maybe it's just because we don't disguise that play enough but it's very obvious when it's coming and I think that's why we have little to no Success With It. But that's just my opinion.

If there's been any success with that play recently it's just been sheer luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
          Last edited by slosho; 10-17-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Personal opinion we've overused the screen...whether its WR's, TE's or RB's. I also think we've overused all the pre snap motion. Whether that's all part of a designed play or if it's an adjustment to the D alignment I don't know. I'd love to see some uptempo, hurry up, quick count offense mixed in. Try to eliminate some of our predictability.

Comment

Tc was not throwing the ball well last Saturday and Geodart was pissed because he wasn't getting it. You think he's worried about catching a screen pass ? My point is if your NFL prospect all American te isn't getting it then force it to him, get him some touches. The screen pass from the slot or wherever has been successful for him. You don't have to overuse it.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                Tc was not throwing the ball well last Saturday and Geodart was pissed because he wasn't getting it. You think he's worried about catching a screen pass ? My point is if your NFL prospect all American te isn't getting it then force it to him, get him some touches. The screen pass from the slot or wherever has been successful for him. You don't have to overuse it.
                I am in complete agreeance with getting him the ball...and no I don't think Dallas cares how he gets the ball. I just don't like that screen for him, personal opinion...leaves him exposed, especially if it is poorly blocked.

Comment

I am in complete agreeance with getting him the ball...and no I don't think Dallas cares how he gets the ball. I just don't like that screen for him, personal opinion...leaves him exposed, especially if it is poorly blocked.
                  Dont you think the shallow drag route leaves him as or more exposed than the screen to the flats? I'm not saying he can't get hurt on a screen but it's football.

Comment

I didn't see the play buy which play was it where Dallas got lit up at Montana state by their good linebacker? I am asking since I am not 100% but I thought it was a screen pass to the flats.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I didn't see the play buy which play was it where Dallas got lit up at Montana state by their good linebacker? I am asking since I am not 100% but I thought it was a screen pass to the flats.
                      He got rocked pretty good on the sideline that might of been a screen. Or it definetly could of been a screen up the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        Not to just play contrarian but I disagree.

We haven't really effectively been able to use that play since Zach left. And even that it was ran all too often on 3rd down for a loss or a very short gain. Unless you can get excellent blocking and someone that's very Dynamic out of the backfield this play doesn't work. it needs to die a horrible death on our team. the resurrection of it this year is further proof that we have regressed to what we've always done. please stop running that play. The next thing we'll see is the Wildcat comeback with got Goddert running it. Maybe it's just because we don't disguise that play enough but it's very obvious when it's coming and I think that's why we have little to no Success With It. But that's just my opinion. if there's been any success with that play recently it's just been sheer luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
                        As I think about it, the RB screen in the flats works well when you have a RB that goes 0-100 fast (like Zenner). Mengarelli is a good back, but he isn't a 0-100 guy.

I don't mind screens occasionally, but it shouldn't be a staple of our offense with the current personnel. I like wildcat occasionally as well with the right personnel, and IMO it is/was about as successful as any other offensive play.

TC needs to get his accuracy figured out. Would also like to see the coaches use his full abilities, aka his legs, a little more often. There are ways to do that without putting him at a greater risk for injury than sitting in the pocket.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          Not sure why the hell anyone gives a rats ass about the jerseys for after watching what supposedly was football today. I don’t give a flying fornication if they come out in pink tu-tus and polka dotted helmets, what I sat through today was embarrassing. My goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          That's my point exactly. The team should stop worrying about what uniform color they are wearing. they should stop worrying about their draft stock, their team ranking and preseason expectations. stop talking about how great the sjac is for practice. they looked flat, and no energy. that's on the players. They looked lost and frustrated, that's on the coaches. We don't have a playbook that helps our defense. a few blitz or stunts might help them out, apparently going to a 3-4 scheme can help. we have some safeties we could probably put one on the field and take a lineman off who isn't generating pressure. If they know where to go and what their assignment is it can work. UNI proved it. The offense needs to use its weapons more. we know the 2 who should get the ball more, but we have 3 or 4 guys capable of being a consistant performer. same with RB. they have clearly underperformed for how good they are. The o line was horrible after being the strength of the offense.

My point is I hate all the nonsense hype that the players seem to buy in to like new uniforms and practice facilities etc, I would rather them buy into coming out with energy and not hang their heads after a rough start. The team sure looked like the didn't want to be out there.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            As I think about it, the RB screen in the flats works well when you have a RB that goes 0-100 fast (like Zenner). Mengarelli is a good back, but he isn't a 0-100 guy.

I don't mind screens occasionally, but it shouldn't be a staple of our offense with the current personnel. I like wildcat occasionally as well with the right personnel, and IMO it is/was about as successful as any other offensive play.

TC needs to get his accuracy figured out. Would also like to see the coaches use his full abilities, aka his legs, a little more often. There are ways to do that without putting him at a greater risk for injury than sitting in the pocket.
                            Yep a screen once or twice a game is ok. every drive, is too much. same with wildcat. I would love to see some new running formations. When Wilkenson was o cord I think, probably when Berry was Qb, I think we ran a couple different running formations. one that I think would really work is a split backfield or wishbone, with TC and Mengarlli or Wallace on one side and daniels on the other. have the wizard and the beast out wide. you can use it to run the option, zone option read, have a lead blocker up the middle still, go around the side, misdirection, have deep threats where you can pass out of that formation too. Many different options from just 1 formation. when you line up power and have full back in and shift your blocking tight end to that side. it basically shows the defense where they are going to run IMHO.

Comment

I think we overemphasize speed a little at the cost of size when recruiting players,especially on defense.Yes, speed is one very important factor to consider,but so is a players ability to bring down the ball carrier at first contact for minimal gain , and not relying on gang tackling to do the job.The latter is great when it's "hail,hail the gangs all here" as the tune goes,but the ball carrier instead bounces off would be tacklers for another 4,5,6 yards and the opposing offense gets way too many first downs and long time consuming drives because of it.

Not dissing anyone ,just think we could possibly look harder for size and speed in the proper proportion to each other if we want to really "beef up " our defense.The secondary guys have to have a lot more emphasis on speed,given the guys they cover have a lot of speed and they have to defend a large area in the passing attack part of the opposing team's offense.

I don't blame the players for being physically undersized and having difficulty bringing down players when you have a disadvantage to begin with,and I certainly would not characterise this difficulty as not being motivated or anything like that.Just that their job is much harder with their size limitations.LB pos should be around Rozeboom's size 220-225,he's got good size and he's certainly not slow.

DT's being undersized ,they get wore out,with no depth that's not good.Their job is harder too,going against someone bigger,maybe a little stronger too because they're bigger.They might typically be a hair under a OL size ,but not too much under (10-20 lbs).They have to hold the line and prevent the line surge on run plays,the LB's plug the holes.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-17-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

The offensive line always gets the blame for losing. Yes, the Oline couldn’t stop the run game of UNI, fumbled the punt, fumbled the kickoff, threw the interception, passes into the ground, passes to nobody, missed FG, extra point and stopped the opponent on third down. I wish the offensive line was better but when you are down by two and three touchdowns the defense only has to defend the pass and are licking their chops on the pass rush and blitzes. The Qb has time on many passes, go watch the game again. Yes he was sacked twice, hurried and knocked down in the game. That happens when you play a solid defense and pass because you are behind. You have a whole lot more players than just the five Oline to blame or give credit for failure and success. The offense line can play better and so can the whole team

Comment

Working...
                                X