Jacks picked to win Conference Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks picked to win Conference Title

The Summit league press release indicates the Jacks are preseason picks to win Men's Basketball title.

http://thesummitleague.org/sports/mb...20171004nk4g2h

Re: Jacks picked to win Conference Title

Ranked #1 for both men's and women's BB. Now to back it up on the court. I can't wait to get a look at the new players on each team. Just a few weeks to go.

Comment

This development should be unpopular with the yotes faithful. They were the defending Summit champions in the regular season.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

If I had a vote I would have probablt gone USD first. Again we have so many new parts its hard to know where and how everyone will fit. But at the same time its hard to pick against a Daum led team.

I expect the Mens side to be good with us, USD and NDSU. I am pretty sure Jacobsen is there for his 7th season.

The women side, us, USD and western should all be pretty good. I really think the sdsu women might have that special year now that they really were hoping for last year before it came crashing down.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This wasn't surprise to me at all. We have the top player in the league by a longshot. Tellinghuisen is a solid all-conference performer. Plus, there is a lot of experience on the team with King, Howell, Severyn, Theissen, and Flatten all having time in the program.

Really looking forward to seeing what Howell will do this year. He showed an uncanny knack of getting to the hole and either scoring or getting fouled. Yes, he would get out of control for sure. If he can reign that in to where we see the good side most all the time he will be a force.

By all accounts we have a number of very talented new faces that are coming into the program. Hard to say how big of an impact they will play. The other thing that will help is this is the second year with Coach Otz's at the helm. No more getting used to a new system, and a new coach finding his way as the guy in charge. Both bode well for the team.

If things pan out well this could be an epic year for SDSU Basketball.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            This wasn't surprise to me at all. We have the top player in the league by a longshot. Tellinghuisen is a solid all-conference performer. Plus, there is a lot of experience on the team with King, Howell, Severyn, Theissen, and Flatten all having time in the program.

Really looking forward to seeing what Howell will do this year. He showed an uncanny knack of getting to the hole and either scoring or getting fouled. Yes, he would get out of control for sure. If he can reign that in to where we see the good side most all the time he will be a force.

By all accounts we have a number of very talented new faces that are coming into the program. Hard to say how big of an impact they will play. The other thing that will help is this is the second year with Coach Otz's at the helm. No more getting used to a new system, and a new coach finding his way as the guy in charge. Both bode well for the team.

If things pan out well this could be an epic year for SDSU Basketball.

SUPERBUNNY
            The Street & Smith college BB magazine also picked Brandon Key to be the Top Newcomer in the Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              The Street & Smith college BB magazine also picked Brandon Key to be the Top Newcomer in the Summit.
              I do not recall the exact number, but Brandon Key was turning around 7 assists per game in the JUCO. There was some chatter about his speed and quickness too.

Here are the numbers. http://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6372&path=mbball
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Heard from someone that Polk-Hilliard could be a "game changing" type of athlete and performer. (and he shot 42% from 3 last year... just looked that up.)

It's going be interesting to see who earns what spots, and what the rotations will be.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  Heard from someone that Polk-Hilliard could be a "game changing" type of athlete and performer. (and he shot 42% from 3 last year... just looked that up.)

It's going be interesting to see who earns what spots, and what the rotations will be.
                  Same. I guess he's been much better than most thought (not that people thought he would be bad). Him and Daum will be terrors for opponents on the inside/outside. We almost have a similar situation to what Wisconsin does, just more uptempo. Bigs playing inside or outside and guards working on the block. If this team meshes, watch out!
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I think the difference between this Jacks team and those of the last few years is that there will be legitimate scorers available off the bench. Daum and Telly have had to play ungodly minutes because there simply wasn't enough scoring potential when they sat. With Jenkins and Polk-Hilliard (or Howell) coming off the bench, scoring shouldn't be as much of an issue when Mike and Reed need to sit for a few minutes.

Comment

Jacks picked to win Conference Title

You're right about a guy like Polk-Hilliard (can we call him DPH yet?) potentially providing a big boost in depth. All of our 3/4's return from last year so adding another that's ready to go instantly loads the bench. I see he is listed as a "forward" on the roster.

This team appears to be stacked at positions 2-5. The ceiling is going to be set by what the new PG's are capable of. I'm looking forward to an update on their progress by Zimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

DPH is a game-changing athlete but there is talk of him redshirting this year.

The jump from JUCO to this level is big even for an elite athlete such as him. His jump shot needs work and he needs a year in the weight room.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
                          I assume Howell has been cleared to practice. No injury or anything but TJ has a conditioning test to start the season and one week in he hadn't passed the test to begin practicing. .

Comment

Preseason KenPom computer rankings are out. Their take on the Summit : 122- SDSU ; 157- Denver ; 159- Fort Wayne ; 173- USD ; 178- NDSU ; 239- ORU ; 245- Omaha and 310- WIU. UND, who comes in next year is 228, and UMKC who has been mentioned as possibly coming back is at 308. And Missouri State, who we play at the Pentagon is 99 and has been picked to win the MVC in their preseason poll.

Comment

Weren't the Jacks scheduled to have a "secret" scrimmage at UNI today ?

Comment

Working...
                              X