X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Stig is a top 5 FCS coach.
    What are YOUR expectations for this year's team? We need you on record.

Going into this year I thought the minimum mark was an appearance in the semifinals. With the 2 legit NFL prospects at the skill positions, anything else would be uncivilized.

If we can't raise the expectations with this years team, then when can we?

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
      The offense needs reps in the non conference games instead of trying to get players experience, not running up the score and worrying about injures

The Read Option offense is not a favorite and I think the Jacks struggle with it still especially in the run game. The team looks like a pro style offense with TE,WR and RBs IMO.

The defense had had one stop with the interception at YSU. YSU running out of time at half was a blunder by their coaches and players. The end of the game YSU had enough points and we’re satisfied running out the clock.
      MSU had a similar blunder at the end of their game when they were passing to the middle of the field rather than the sidelines. Pretty decent chance neither the Bobcats nor the YSU coaches dictated all of those games' actions. Conversely, it is possible that the Jacks' defensive alignments were eliminating other options and forcing such plays.

Regardless, it illustrates that every game involves decisions that could be scrutinized. I merely believe Stig is unfairly scrutinized for some "poor" decisions and not given credit for other more positive ones.

Also, Stig has a winning record against the Pelini-coached Penguins. Does that mean he outcoaches him? Not necessarily, but prior games were never in doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Ah, the "you need to be or have done x in order to criticize x" argument.
        You got admit some statements are becoming redundant. I am a non-coach and just a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I'm not sure he's completely off base. Ive watched a fair bit of football but I'm far from an expert with X's and O's. I'm sure that applies to many on here.

What I see with our program is year after year having a game or three during the regular season where we either lose a game we shouldn't or play dreadfully bad like last Saturday. Is that coaching, inferior talent, lack of depth, or some other reason? I don't know but to make the next step easier it'd be nice to have a seed high enough we don't have to go through cargo in the quarters or second round. We gotta be pretty dominate through the regular season for that to happen.
          Is this a problem unique to SDSU?

If we are dominant enough to not go to Fargo, we would be good enough to win in Fargo...
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            What are YOUR expectations for this year's team? We need you on record.

Going into this year I thought the minimum mark was an appearance in the semifinals. With the 2 legit NFL prospects at the skill positions, anything else would be uncivilized.

If we can't raise the expectations with this years team, then when can we?
            My expectation is to be entertained by a football program that I am proud of on and off the field. I have been able to say that every season Stig has been the head coach.

I think a lot of folks here confuse expectations with entitlement. We are not entitled to a winning record, playoff appearance, semi finals, or anything else.

I was disappointed with the loss last Saturday, and disappointed in the way we played. I hoped we would win, and thought we could. But I didn't expect we would win. I didn't take a win as a given. I didn't feel entitled to a win.

Going into the year, I was hopeful we would have a good enough team to win the national championship. Like you I see some really good players on the team, and a national championship is still on the table as far as I'm concerned. Its on the table until we are eliminated from the playoffs.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              How many of those teams have made it farther than the quarterfinals? How many teams not on that list have made it farther than the quarterfinals?
              They all have.

Since 2009, here's the teams that have made the semis:

NDSU 6
              Easter Washington 4
              Sam Houston State 4
              Georgia Southern 3
              Montana 2
              Villanova 2
              New Hampshire 2
              James Madison
              Youngstown State
              Jacksonville State
              Richmond
              Illinois State
              Towson
              Delaware
              Appalachian State
              William & Mary

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Absolutely. If anyone tries to use the points given up argument you either A) didn’t watch the game B) don’t know football at all or C) just want to blame the offense/defend the defense results be damned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The classic if you don't agree with my point of view on the game you don't know football insult.

The D is not going to go out and win all our games. They kept the score close enough for our high powered offense to get back into it. Our offense should do better then scoring 1/7th of the time. I am pretty sure Pelini would have liked to score before the half, and we kept them from it. I am pretty sure he wanted to score before the pick at the 1 also. It was not a great night for our defense but if they can keep the score in check that's as good as they probably can play for now. Maybe they get better as the year goes on. Seems they improved as last year went on. But when you have pretty much the entire preseason conference offense on your team, you should expect more then 1 score. You cant blame the offense couldn't get into a grove either since YSU took so long on their drives. SDSU had 3 other games that sure looked like the offense couldn't get into a grove either. 2 Games we were just against bad teams, but MSU the offense wasn't as sharp as it should be. the offense kept themselves off the field with drives that only lasted a couple plays at most.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  The classic if you don't agree with my point of view on the game you don't know football insult.

The D is not going to go out and win all our games. They kept the score close enough for our high powered offense to get back into it. Our offense should do better then scoring 1/7th of the time. I am pretty sure Pelini would have liked to score before the half, and we kept them from it. I am pretty sure he wanted to score before the pick at the 1 also. It was not a great night for our defense but if they can keep the score in check that's as good as they probably can play for now. Maybe they get better as the year goes on. Seems they improved as last year went on. But when you have pretty much the entire preseason conference offense on your team, you should expect more then 1 score. You cant blame the offense couldn't get into a grove either since YSU took so long on their drives. SDSU had 3 other games that sure looked like the offense couldn't get into a grove either. 2 Games we were just against bad teams, but MSU the offense wasn't as sharp as it should be. the offense kept themselves off the field with drives that only lasted a couple plays at most.
                  If you watched that game and thought the defense played well enough to win the game then we aren’t going to agree. Giving up 5 ypc, 300+ yds on the ground, and 20 first downs rushing alone is not well enough to win the vast majority of games. Most teams will tell you their goal is to keep our offense off the field by running the ball. Those stats would seem to show that, and what I watched showed that. Should the offense have scored more, absolutely. But that was some bad defense. Really bad.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                    If you watched that game and thought the defense played well enough to win the game then we aren’t going to agree. Giving up 5 ypc, 300+ yds on the ground, and 20 first downs rushing alone is not well enough to win the vast majority of games. Most teams will tell you their goal is to keep our offense off the field by running the ball. Those stats would seem to show that, and what I watched showed that. Should the offense have scored more, absolutely. But that was some bad defense. Really bad.

When the offense wont stay on the field or score points it doesn't leave the defense much choice. Not giving them a free pass, but they are only so good. not even near the top of the conference for defenses. The offense should be one of the best in the country. They were flat out no show in that game. I know people make excuses that YSU didn't try to score because they were controlling the ball, but that's a weak argument. A fumble or another pick and all of a sudden that game that was in range is in jeopardy of losing it. I guarantee you YSU wanted to try to score more. The D kept it in reach. Yes they struggled to get off the field, but that's no excuses for the poor performance of the offense. If the offense doesn't turn it over twice or give up a safety maybe the game turns around. I think we will have to agree to disagree.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      When the offense wont stay on the field or score points it doesn't leave the defense much choice. Not giving them a free pass, but they are only so good. not even near the top of the conference for defenses. The offense should be one of the best in the country. They were flat out no show in that game. I know people make excuses that YSU didn't try to score because they were controlling the ball, but that's a weak argument. A fumble or another pick and all of a sudden that game that was in range is in jeopardy of losing it. I guarantee you YSU wanted to try to score more. The D kept it in reach. Yes they struggled to get off the field, but that's no excuses for the poor performance of the offense. If the offense doesn't turn it over twice or give up a safety maybe the game turns around. I think we will have to agree to disagree.
                      Or sadly; your both right.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        Or sadly; your both right.
                        probably, lets hope this week all the talk is about how great the team played and getting back on the winning track.

Comment

It's been 5 days since our last game and 2 until our next one, and the board is still dominated by pissing matches/discussions about if the defense or offense is to blame, and the merits of our coaching staff. Could we please bring an imaginary payloader in here to start dumping massive piles of dirt on this thread ? And maybe start looking ahead to Saturday's game ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            It's been 5 days since our last game and 2 until our next one, and the board is still dominated by pissing matches/discussions about if the defense or offense is to blame, and the merits of our coaching staff. Could we please bring an imaginary payloader in here to start dumping massive piles of dirt on this thread ? And maybe start looking ahead to Saturday's game ?
                            I was just thinking how nice it is to have some actual discussion rather than the few posts saying "Man, I hope we play well this week... welp, see y'all at the game!". I don't get why people think it's a bad thing to discuss things that need to be improved.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              I'm not sure I would categorize any of this as a pissing match, but I do know that an imaginary payloader won't end this discussion. We should try shaming and embarrassing the people that are contributing to topics that we deem too out of date or irrelevant for discussion.

Comment

Maybe beating a dead horse is a better description. When I read a thread and both sides are making the same points on Thursday that were being made on Monday and Tuesday, it seems like it may be time to move on. I'm not trying to shame or embarrass anyone. You can debate the Youngstown game until Christmas if you like. I'm more interested in looking forward to see how the Jacks respond on Saturday and what both the players and coaching staff may have learned from the Youngstown game.

Comment

Working...
                                X