Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    I had reservations about the particular verbage chosen given today's events I couldn't come up with anything at the time but it has been edited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    Umm, ok. I suppose what I am still struggling with is that said "strangulation" would also imply that they're playing with the lead or could have led had whatever actions, representing a killer instinct or going for the throat, been taken. The implication among some being that Stig is just happy to be out there coaching and does not really care if the Jacks win.

One of the Jacks' home opponents, I believe it was Duquesne, was burning TO's with time dwindling and the game never in doubt. Granted the YSU game was much closer than the Jacks-Duquesne one, but is that the preferred course among the "lack of killer instinct" crowd?

I mentioned in the MSU thread that TO usage by Stig then seemed illogical because it essentially allowed MSU more time to attempt a FG before the half ended, so I'm in no way implying that I always agree with his decisions.

Can you share an example of a football coach whose team was losing at the time illustrating this killer instinct/going for the throat-type strategy that Stig seems to lack?

It seems to me that some of the very same people who would criticize him for not using the TO's now would just as vocally lambaste him for using them, extending the game, and having a Jacks player get injured.

Lastly, can we at least appreciate the fact that he answered the question twice, rather than being Belichickian (side note: does Bill have the "killer instinct"?) and saying "On to the Salukis" or something?

Comment

Let's be realistic. After the 20-30 minute halftime break, the Youngstown offense came out and still basically ran the ball at will against the Jacks defense. A couple of thirty second timeouts were not going to cause us to suddenly rise up and stuff the run. Time ran out with Youngstown at the goal-line, and with more time and a few more plays would likely have gone up by 3 scores. I won't argue that there were coaching decisions that could and should be questioned from Saturday, but the time-out situation would be way down at the bottom of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        Let's be realistic. After the 20-30 minute halftime break, the Youngstown offense came out and still basically ran the ball at will against the Jacks defense. A couple of thirty second timeouts were not going to cause us to suddenly rise up and stuff the run. Time ran out with Youngstown at the goal-line, and with more time and a few more plays would likely have gone up by 3 scores. I won't argue that there were coaching decisions that could and should be questioned from Saturday, but the time-out situation would be way down at the bottom of my list.
        I'm not saying the timeouts should have been used in the last minute of the game. YSU got the ball back after the int with 8:42 left in the game. You really think the game was unwinnable at that point? YSU had a 3rd and 5 right after the int, would've been a great time to use one. Instead they get a 7 yard pass completion. 3 plays later they have a 3rd and 11, would've been a great time to use one. Instead their QB scrambles for 14 yards. If Stig really thought the game was over at those points then I don't know what to think for the rest of the season. I would sure like a Head Coach to have more faith in his team than that

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
          I'm not saying the timeouts should have been used in the last minute of the game. YSU got the ball back after the int with 8:42 left in the game. You really think the game was unwinnable at that point? YSU had a 3rd and 5 right after the int, would've been a great time to use one. Instead they get a 7 yard pass completion. 3 plays later they have a 3rd and 11, would've been a great time to use one. Instead their QB scrambles for 14 yards. If Stig really thought the game was over at those points then I don't know what to think for the rest of the season. I would sure like a Head Coach to have more faith in his team than that
          Would of our womens BB team ever had won in Arkansas if A.J. had that Mentality?

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...s-ot/19936379/

Comment

Would of our womens BB team ever had won in Arkansas if A.J. had that Mentality?

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...s-ot/19936379/
            Yeah, because football and womens BB have so much in common.

I will admit that the explanation that Stig thought he was coaching a womens BB game on Saturday is probably the most logical reasoning there could be behind a lot of the coaching moves that he made (or didn't make)

Comment

Yeah, because football and womens BB have so much in common.
              They're both games in which if your are mentally defeated you have already lost. (see: NDSU drive at KSU they knew what they could do and did it.) If that's going to be the mentality I see why we strive for greatness and come up short. It's not acceptable to this Jacks fan (Snowflake Disclaimer:not implying any other fan is either, just stating my "Feelings"). Play till the Whistle or go home, that goes for coaching as well. I would kill(figuratively) to be able to play another football game, every down is a opportunity for greatness that most don't see.

Comment

They're both games in which if your are mentally defeated you have already lost. (see: NDSU drive at KSU they knew what they could do and did it.) If that's going to be the mentality I see why we strive for greatness and come up short. It's not acceptable to this Jacks fan (Snowflake Disclaimer:not implying any other fan is either, just stating my "Feelings"). Play till the Whistle or go home, that goes for coaching as well. I would kill(figuratively) to be able to play another football game, every down is a opportunity for greatness that most don't see.
                Ok i gotcha. I misinterpreted the meaning of your first post. Yes i do agree with you on that point. Stig saying he didn't use the timeouts because the game was already done just really bothers me, as it shows he was were clearly mentally defeated. Hopefully it is something that can get fixed

Comment

Slosho is 100% correct. You play every play, every second of a game. A fumble could happen on the next play. You don’t give up with over three minutes to go in a game. That messages by a coach says I give up.

the defense had its head down after the first score by YSU. Coaches need to see this and get after someone to lead. The game is sixty minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post

Slosho is 100% correct. You play every play, every second of a game. A fumble could happen on the next play. You don’t give up with over three minutes to go in a game. That messages by a coach says I give up.

the defense had its head down after the first score by YSU. Coaches need to see this and get after someone to lead. The game is sixty minutes.
                    I believe one of the mantras is "play every play like it's your last"...3 min to go and you're down by 20 plus maybe you can think otherwise but if it's 2 scores or less you do whatever you can to motivate and win the game.

Comment

Thank you. I was starting to question my football intelligence for a minute there. Glad to see others agree on how crazy it was. Like you are saying, use one on a 3rd down with a lot of time left. I understand not wanting to burn them all early because you might need them later, but it got to a point where you just had to do something. Hopefully he and the other coaches learn from it. From the sounds of the interviews though, it doesn't seem like he regrets a thing. He was completely out coached and he knew it and gave up. Reminds me of the coach from Waterboy when he was mentally dominated by the other coach (hopefully someone gets this reference).

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        Thank you. I was starting to question my football intelligence for a minute there. Glad to see others agree on how crazy it was. Like you are saying, use one on a 3rd down with a lot of time left. I understand not wanting to burn them all early because you might need them later, but it got to a point where you just had to do something. Hopefully he and the other coaches learn from it. From the sounds of the interviews though, it doesn't seem like he regrets a thing. He was completely out coached and he knew it and gave up. Reminds me of the coach from Waterboy when he was mentally dominated by the other coach (hopefully someone gets this reference).

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME", "YOU DON'T PLAY TO JUST PLAY IT"....sorry ,just had to do it,......surprising how often this saying is relevant though
                          LINK

Comment

After thinking big picture about our season thus far, it seems like our offensive and defensive schemes do not compliment each other as well as they could. Our offense is/can be highly dynamic. That design allows us to be able to score fast, but doesn't help to chew up clock and play the possession game. Conversely, the bend-don't-break, don't-give-up-the-big-play style of our defense is/can be vanilla enough to allow a time-chewer offense the leeway to work.

In the first few games, it looked like they were trying to force our offense to sustain longer drives, making it better match our defensive style. There's nothing wrong with long drives, but how many people have commented about the number of shots we take down the field (or lack there of)? Maybe we should add some chocolate or caramel or nuts to our vanilla defense for it to better compliment our offense.

I don't pretend to be a great football mind, so this post probably doesn't make sense. However, it has made me hungry for ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                              After thinking big picture about our season thus far, it seems like our offensive and defensive schemes do not compliment each other as well as they could. Our offense is/can be highly dynamic. That design allows us to be able to score fast, but doesn't help to chew up clock and play the possession game. Conversely, the bend-don't-break, don't-give-up-the-big-play style of our defense is/can be vanilla enough to allow a time-chewer offense the leeway to work.

In the first few games, it looked like they were trying to force our offense to sustain longer drives, making it better match our defensive style. There's nothing wrong with long drives, but how many people have commented about the number of shots we take down the field (or lack there of)? Maybe we should add some chocolate or caramel or nuts to our vanilla defense for it to better compliment our offense.

I don't pretend to be a great football mind, so this post probably doesn't make sense. However, it has made me hungry for ice cream.
                              One thing I really like with ice cream... pie
                              We could probably all use a little pie a la mode and move on from this game

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                                One thing I really like with ice cream... pie
                                We could probably all use a little pie a la mode and move on from this game
                                PIE. something we can all agree on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X