Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    I'm more interested in looking forward to see how the Jacks respond on Saturday and what both the players and coaching staff may have learned from the Youngstown game.
    There's a separate thread for that. No one is forcing you to read this.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      When the offense wont stay on the field or score points it doesn't leave the defense much choice. Not giving them a free pass, but they are only so good. not even near the top of the conference for defenses. The offense should be one of the best in the country. They were flat out no show in that game. I know people make excuses that YSU didn't try to score because they were controlling the ball, but that's a weak argument. A fumble or another pick and all of a sudden that game that was in range is in jeopardy of losing it. I guarantee you YSU wanted to try to score more. The D kept it in reach. Yes they struggled to get off the field, but that's no excuses for the poor performance of the offense. If the offense doesn't turn it over twice or give up a safety maybe the game turns around. I think we will have to agree to disagree.
      Absolutely. Turnovers are murderous. The offense was garbage. However, we don’t have an offense built for long sustained drives. It’s built for explosive, gash you for long yards plays. We won’t be winning many TOP battles in games vs good teams by much, if at all. We don’t have a grind it out running game. We have to throw to set up the run. Not my preferred style but it’s what we are best suited for. That’s why a bend but don’t break defense is killer. You need to give that type of offense possessions. Be aggressive. If we get gashed a couple of times deep, then we get gashed. We (should) have the offense to make up a couple big plays. So take some chances on defense. So they hit us for a big play. At least it shortens the oppositions amount of time with the ball and gives our O a chance to get on a roll. And it’ll pay off more than not I would bet, with the athletic players we have on defense.
      Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      I was just thinking how nice it is to have some actual discussion rather than the few posts saying "Man, I hope we play well this week... welp, see y'all at the game!". I don't get why people think it's a bad thing to discuss things that need to be improved.
      True story. It’s a sign that people are getting invested in the program. Hell, how long do basketball games get argued and rehashed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        That’s why a bend but don’t break defense is killer. You need to give that type of offense possessions. Be aggressive. If we get gashed a couple of times deep, then we get gashed. We (should) have the offense to make up a couple big plays. So take some chances on defense.
        I share the same thoughts. Case in point: The one 3 & Out we held Youngstown to - 3rd & 3; we blitz on the outside and miss the sack, BUT the QB was disrupted, had to shake the tackle, wasn't looking down field, and ended up getting sacked by Hildahl (sp?). If we don't blitz, the QB either find an open guy or slips the pocket and runs for the 1st.

Comment

For some perspective, last year the team averaged 29 TOP to opponents 31 minutes over the course of the year. In the four losses, the Jacks TOP was still 25-30 minutes (NDSU was only 19).

Point being, 15 minutes TOP and 7 possessions isn't going to get it done against anyone. Our offense having the ball few and far between is the fault of our defense. The O not doing anything with it most of the game is the fault of the offense, but that comes with the caveat that they still need to be able to touch the ball more often to get into a rhythm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            For some perspective, last year the team averaged 29 TOP to opponents 31 minutes over the course of the year. In the four losses, the Jacks TOP was still 25-30 minutes (NDSU was only 19).

Point being, 15 minutes TOP and 7 possessions isn't going to get it done against anyone. Our offense having the ball few and far between is the fault of our defense. The O not doing anything with it most of the game is the fault of the offense, but that comes with the caveat that they still need to be able to touch the ball more often to get into a rhythm.
            All I know is I expect a lot more out of our offense this week, then our defense. If our defense can keep the score close, that might be all we can expect out of them. but our offense needs to score on more then 1/7th of the time it has the ball this week. Lets hope both sides of the ball get a lot better this week.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Maybe beating a dead horse is a better description. When I read a thread and both sides are making the same points on Thursday that were being made on Monday and Tuesday, it seems like it may be time to move on. I'm not trying to shame or embarrass anyone. You can debate the Youngstown game until Christmas if you like. I'm more interested in looking forward to see how the Jacks respond on Saturday and what both the players and coaching staff may have learned from the Youngstown game.
              It makes me wonder if someone put big money on SDSU to win this game. Why else would one keep harping about aggressiveness etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                It makes me wonder if someone put big money on SDSU to win this game. Why else would one keep harping about aggressiveness etc.?
                Probably because it was an embarrassing loss, and many people beleive that losses like it are indicative of the state of the program, and not outliers.

Losing against a top 5 team on the road isn't much to be concerned about.

Getting run off the field and embarrassed when expectations were high (YSU 2017, NDSU 2.0 2016, Cal Poly 2016, NDSU 2015, ISUR 2014, NDSU 2013, UNI 2012) is worth the meltdown that followed each of those games on this forum in my opinion.

People will stop complaining about it when A) It doesn't happen anymore, or B) Expectations are lowered for the program.

I hope it's A.

Edit: I'll add that I hope the team is much more focused on SIU than the fans currently are. But we are fans, and we get to dwell and speculate for a lot longer than they do. I don't know about anyone else, but the 2009 Montana game and the 2014 NDSU playoff game still make my heart hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Didn't bet on the game, usually don't. One would keep harping about aggressiveness because some of us are interested in cheering for a team that does more than go 8-3 and makes a 1st or 2nd round exit.

Comment

Didn't bet on the game, usually don't. One would keep harping about aggressiveness because some of us are interested in cheering for a team that does more than go 8-3 and makes a 1st or 2nd round exit.
                    I really wish we could get to a point where not resigning oneself to one loss turning into 3 or 4 does not translate into being satisfied with 8-3, 7-4, or an early playoff exit and/or that it means someone cares less about the team than another fan.

Maybe it's my conditioning as a Vikes fan, but I think that the Jacks can win any game they play (and seldom is that hope misplaced, as even the most demanding fans among you must admit that the Jacks win more than they lose), and I try not to jump to the conclusion that the season's first loss inevitably means more will follow. That's one reason most of these games are fun (YSU being an exception; just reading about it and seeing highlights was painful).

Some perspective here would be nice too. The Jacks lost by 12 in a game few will argue they played very poorly in -- yeah, yeah, they could've lost by more, but they didn't for various reasons. The season is still relatively young, and as I've said, the top teams have to play one another, so the only thing keeping the Jacks from finishing first will be themselves.

Let's make noise Saturday and do what we can as fans to ensure the Jacks triumph!

Comment

That's good news. I don't have a record in mind for our team. What ever happens will happen. I getting to old to really care. I am about to mail my Difference Makers donation in.

Comment

Working...
                      X