Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
    After thinking big picture about our season thus far, it seems like our offensive and defensive schemes do not compliment each other as well as they could. Our offense is/can be highly dynamic. That design allows us to be able to score fast, but doesn't help to chew up clock and play the possession game. Conversely, the bend-don't-break, don't-give-up-the-big-play style of our defense is/can be vanilla enough to allow a time-chewer offense the leeway to work.

In the first few games, it looked like they were trying to force our offense to sustain longer drives, making it better match our defensive style. There's nothing wrong with long drives, but how many people have commented about the number of shots we take down the field (or lack there of)? Maybe we should add some chocolate or caramel or nuts to our vanilla defense for it to better compliment our offense.

I don't pretend to be a great football mind, so this post probably doesn't make sense. However, it has made me hungry for ice cream.
    I think this is spot on. With the offensive players we have being in a shoot-out will usually be a good thing for us. It feels like all the players, offense and defense, are playing with the mindset to not make a mistake and give up a big play. How many catches have Wieneke and Goedert made over their careers from winning a jump ball on a deep route? Yet this year it seems like we haven't been trying them. Maybe its Christion not wanting to give up interceptions, or maybe its the coaches telling him to not throw them.

Look at the way USD is playing this year. They are probably the most aggressive team in the conference with their offensive and defensive styles. They run a no huddle pretty much all the time and their defense is always trying to get into the backfield and make a tackle for loss. As a team they have 16 sacks now. We have 8. They have a guy that has 8.5 tackles for loss. Our leader in tackles for loss is Soulek with 2. You can't tell me that it is simply because they have better players than us. It is all about the style of play they run and its obviously working out quite well for them.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
      I think this is spot on. With the offensive players we have being in a shoot-out will usually be a good thing for us. It feels like all the players, offense and defense, are playing with the mindset to not make a mistake and give up a big play. How many catches have Wieneke and Goedert made over their careers from winning a jump ball on a deep route? Yet this year it seems like we haven't been trying them. Maybe its Christion not wanting to give up interceptions, or maybe its the coaches telling him to not throw them.

Look at the way USD is playing this year. They are probably the most aggressive team in the conference with their offensive and defensive styles. They run a no huddle pretty much all the time and their defense is always trying to get into the backfield and make a tackle for loss. As a team they have 16 sacks now. We have 8. They have a guy that has 8.5 tackles for loss. Our leader in tackles for loss is Soulek with 2. You can't tell me that it is simply because they have better players than us. It is all about the style of play they run and its obviously working out quite well for them.
      Completely agree. The problem is, the word "aggressive" is not in Stig's vocabulary. For those that think running a trick play on offense or special teams every once in a while is being aggressive, you're wrong... That's being tricky. We need to be aggressive. B-e-a-gg-r-i-ss-i-v-e, be, be, aggressive.

Comment

The talent with most conference teams are pretty equal. It’s how the talent is used and the schemes. Give me aggressive play any day.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          Completely agree. The problem is, the word "aggressive" is not in Stig's vocabulary. For those that think running a trick play on offense or special teams every once in a while is being aggressive, you're wrong... That's being tricky. We need to be aggressive. B-e-a-gg-r-i-ss-i-v-e, be, be, aggressive.
          Again, it's subjective -- you can adopt the most restrictive definition of aggressive, killer instinct, or whatever term(s) you want to use.

During the NDSU game last year, he went for multiple fourth downs on the road, was that aggressive or just "tricky"? Maybe it was just "desperation"? Or would this just be another example of "that was probably Eck" calling those plays?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            Again, it's subjective -- you can adopt the most restrictive definition of aggressive, killer instinct, or whatever term(s) you want to use.

During the NDSU game last year, he went for multiple fourth downs on the road, was that aggressive or just "tricky"? Maybe it was just "desperation"? Or would this just be another example of "that was probably Eck" calling those plays?
            Are you actually trying to claim that Stig is aggressive or just arguing to argue because aggressive is very hard to define?

Comment

I understand where your coming from, And I give Credit to the gutsy-ness that Stig seemed to have last year but It seems to have disappeared. Might not be his fault. but when your the boss it's all your fault. Regardless. Comes with the position.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                Are you actually trying to claim that Stig is aggressive or just arguing to argue because aggressive is very hard to define?
                Come on, Cappin. I would venture to guess a vast majority of folks would say going for that many 4th downs on the road is pretty dang aggressive. I would also say that at least a plurality would say that the fake FG at MSU was aggressive as well.

I would never argue that not using the TO's was aggressive, but that does not mean such a strategy is evidence of passivity.

Can you at least admit that when Stig does something that, if done by other coaches, would be considered aggressive, posters on here always have some disclaimer (like the ones I mentioned before)?

Comment

Come on, Cappin. I would venture to guess a vast majority of folks would say going for that many 4th downs on the road is pretty dang aggressive. I would also say that at least a plurality would say that the fake FG at MSU was aggressive as well.
                  Was that this week? I'm confused. Past performance is not an indicator of future results.

Which Delightfully can work both ways. In the words of the church: there's time to change! Repent, Repent. Repent!

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                    Was that this week? I'm confused. Past performance is not an indicator of future results.

Which Delightfully can work both ways. In the words of the church: there's time to change! Repent, Repent. Repent!
                    Saying it's not in a person's vocabulary seems to completely ignore the past, and as I've mentioned there are multiple instances, at least one of which occurred this season, that could be evidence of aggression.

However, if they'd at least concede Stig has been aggressive before, that would be progress. Plus, it suggests similar "aggression," "trickery," or whatever you want to call it, could be repeated, as you alluded to.

Comment

I would never argue that not using the TO's was aggressive, but that does not mean such a strategy is evidence of passivity.

Can you at least admit that when Stig does something that, if done by other coaches, would be considered aggressive, posters on here always have some disclaimer (like the ones I mentioned before)?
                      I would say that he has shown flashes of it, but there's a reason everyone is very surprised by it when it happens. In general, I think most people would say that Stig and the play calling on both sides of the ball is very conservative.

Comment

Look no further than the number of times we've run blitzes in the last 5+ years to understand how conservative the play calling is here. Not always a bad thing, but we rarely roll the Dice on D. On O, we've opened up a lot more in the last two years and have gambled on 4th and short alot more than previously. I'd like to see a similar level of risk taking on D for these 3rd and 13s we get into.

Comment

There’s a difference between calling a couple of aggressive plays in games you feel you need to win no matter what and having an aggressive style. Bend but don’t break defense isn’t aggressive, lack of blitzing isn’t aggressive, corners ten yards off the ball isn’t aggressive, base defense isn’t aggressive, trying to run 50-50 split between running and passing with this offense isn’t aggressive. When you hear opposing coaches talk about our defense, every time they mention that its straightforward, not much movement, they stay in their base package, not too much to plan for like team “x”, etc. That’s not the hallmark of an aggressive team. Sorry to burst your bubble. Pointing out isolated instances doesn’t prove a point. It shows flashes and that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            There’s a difference between calling a couple of aggressive plays in games you feel you need to win no matter what and having an aggressive style. Bend but don’t break defense isn’t aggressive, lack of blitzing isn’t aggressive, corners ten yards off the ball isn’t aggressive, base defense isn’t aggressive, trying to run 50-50 split between running and passing with this offense isn’t aggressive. When you hear opposing coaches talk about our defense, every time they mention that its straightforward, not much movement, they stay in their base package, not too much to plan for like team “x”, etc. That’s not the hallmark of an aggressive team. Sorry to burst your bubble. Pointing out isolated instances doesn’t prove a point. It shows flashes and that’s it.

If corners can't play tight,that means there can't ever be a corner blitz threat,less to plan for,don't ever have to worry bout that.They don't trust handing over a wide receiver to the deeper coverage once in awhile? We never change anything up much that's why they can go ahead and just go about exclusively with their game plan and only worry about execution, nothing ever changes to keep them guessing. One game where they're saying "whoa,where'd that come from,this can't be SDSU we're playing,is it ?" would help a lot of things.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-04-2017, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Agree 100%. The same discussion about the D-line playing off the ball, lack of blitzes etc. has been going on for a few years now. Why no changes to our scheme when something isn't working? The bend but don't break defense will get us run out of the stadium against NDSU. I'll say it again, what's the worse that will happen if we get a little aggressive and take some chances on defense? Maybe we give up some big plays but who cares. I'll take an occasional big play in exchange for a team running the ball at will, wearing down our defense and chewing up the clock. At least the offense gets back on the field which going forward will hopefully be a good thing.

Comment

Just glad opposing coaches have yet to figure we have almost zero defense against a quick 5 yd pass. Heck for most defenses at our level this is a challenge. But we absolutely give it away every 1st and 2nd down. Well most for that matter.
                                I'm sure that it's happened in the last 10 years but I can't remember when I've actually noticed us playing bump and run.
                                I'm certainly no genius when it comes to football and I learned everything I know by watching the internet (just kidding) but it'd be nice to Jam at the line and screw up their routes every once and awhile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X