Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Hats off to the YSU coaches for coming into the game with a great game plan and the YSU players for executing it and dominating SDSU's front 7. Shame on SDSU coaches for not making adjustments. Especially after getting ran over in the first half and coming out after halftime and getting ran over even worse. I honestly don't know how a defensive coach keeps his job after calling a game like that.
    I agree. How do they not make some changes to stop the run. Take some chances, what's the worse that can happen? If we give up a big play who cares, it's better than a 9 minute drive where we give up 6+ yards a carry while the O sits on the sideline. Anyone remember the NDSU playoff game?

Comment

Our D started the game off by spending close to 9 minutes on the field after Dallas fumbled. They cleaned it up some in the Second half, but the tone was set early in the game.

What we have is a bend and break defense.

Comment

I still don't see how people can blame the D. Going against a really good team on the road. Only giving up 17 points. Held late to end the half. Got a pick deep. Those were huge. It was the offense that didn't do anything. They have guys who think they are going NFL. Offense reminded me when TOB was qb. No down field passing no run game. 3 and outs. The offense should be able to put drives together and push down field. When they can't stay on the field that leaves the defense hanging out to try.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I still don't see how people can blame the D. Going against a really good team on the road. Only giving up 17 points. Held late to end the half. Got a pick deep. Those were huge. It was the offense that didn't do anything. They have guys who think they are going NFL. Offense reminded me when TOB was qb. No down field passing no run game. 3 and outs. The offense should be able to put drives together and push down field. When they can't stay on the field that leaves the defense hanging out to try.
          I think there's plenty of blame for the O. But as previously pointed out, they had 7 possessions the whole game. We should be able to hope that they can do something with those possessions, but they barely held the ball the entire game.

And as noted earlier, it doesn't matter how many points they gave up. In a game like that, 17 might as well have been 40 points. I think you'd have a great argument if the offense had 15+ possessions this game, and we just had constant 3 and outs. But that didn't happen. Plenty of blame for both sides, but no offense is going to win a game on 7 possessions.

Comment

You must have watched a different game than me. Our defense was atrocious. In the last 20 minutes of that game they threw the ball twice and controlled the ball for 17 minutes! That's your defense getting their asses kicked.

Our offense was bad too but no where near as bad as the D.

Comment

Originally posted by tck9199 View Post
              In name FBS offers..you may care less about if he can read a tackles feet but I'm guessing you haven't played above high school football. Why should he be in on 3 and long has he done something in a game or even in practice to show he needs to be in? We had another 3 star recruit defensive end on the team the last few years from Florida that everyone including the media was excited about. How did he pan out? Just because you sit In the stands or watch on tv and don't see him doesn't mean he earned playing time bc you said so.

Again for the 3rd time this week I'll say it the d lines job on this team is to take on blockers in the run game when it's not an obvious down (pass or run) the are back to read the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Ok, because the DE’s that can read a Tackles feet are just lighting it up...whatever. Like I said before, he doesn’t need to be in every play. We all know he’s situational right now. And who’s saying he doesn’t know how to read feet? But 86 plays and this is the travel squad, 45+ min on the field...you can honestly say after what you’ve seen of him in his limited playing time he should have only played one play? Again I don’t think he needs 50+ of those 86, but I’d think 10-15 plays out of 86 of a D that was gassed. Sure, they only gave up 17...last year the Bison only gave up 19 in a loss to us. I think we’d all agree we owned them that game. The Penguins owned us yesterday, regardless of score. That was a beat down...and even with that, we could’ve lucked out and pulled out a win.
              Last edited by Jackedforlife; 10-01-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
                Agreed but that also speaks to the fans booster etc. We have to get the program money so they can pay better for the coaches.
                For those of you calling for Brown to get axed, who do you think replaces him now? Jimmy Rogers?

While I think Rogers at d.-coord. would be intriguing, at this point, it would be too disruptive to the team and essential represent a concession that this season may be lost, as defensive geniuses we can hire and have them implement their scheme midseason are not "on the street," although maybe some are on this forum.

I'm in complete agreement regarding the play resulting in a safety. I couldn't watch, but when I viewed the video accompanying Matt Zimmer's story of the aftermath, I cringed. Very interested in the rationale for that play call.

In terms of the result stemming from coaching deficiencies, I agree that there definitely seemed to be instances where the coaches failed to adjust [either to circumstances in this game or prior lack of success with similar plays (like the safety)] that continue to baffle me, but I find it difficult to believe that the coaches are not emphasizing proper tackling, and hopefully we can all conceded that they're not telling Goedert "Hey, when you're inside the opponent's 10 with multiple defenders around you, dangle the football so it can be batted away, the folks on the Forum will dig the added excitement."

Trying to find a silver lining to this crapstorm -- losing this game at this juncture may not be as damaging to goals IF Jacks can beat NDSU and USD, because YSU, NDSU, and USD all still have to play one another. The sad part is now I have to ponder rooting for the dang 'Yotes next week.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                  For those of you calling for Brown to get axed, who do you think replaces him now? Jimmy Rogers?

While I think Rogers at d.-coord. would be intriguing, at this point, it would be too disruptive to the team and essential represent a concession that this season may be lost, as defensive geniuses we can hire and have them implement their scheme midseason are not "on the street," although maybe some are on this forum.

I'm in complete agreement regarding the play resulting in a safety. I couldn't watch, but when I viewed the video accompanying Matt Zimmer's story of the aftermath, I cringed. Very interested in the rationale for that play call.

In terms of the result stemming from coaching deficiencies, I agree that there definitely seemed to be instances where the coaches failed to adjust [either to circumstances in this game or prior lack of success with similar plays (like the safety)] that continue to baffle me, but I find it difficult to believe that the coaches are not emphasizing proper tackling, and hopefully we can all conceded that they're not telling Goedert "Hey, when you're inside the opponent's 10 with multiple defenders around you, dangle the football so it can be batted away, the folks on the Forum will dig the added excitement."

Trying to find a silver lining to this crapstorm -- losing this game at this juncture may not be as damaging to goals IF Jacks can beat NDSU and USD, because YSU, NDSU, and USD all still have to play one another. The sad part is now I have to ponder rooting for the dang 'Yotes next week.
                  Axing him mid season isn't go to do anyone any good. But I do think changes need to be made in the off season, and a national search conducted for a new DC with a different philosophy. Promoting from within probably is going to be more of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    Axing him mid season isn't go to do anyone any good. But I do think changes need to be made in the off season, and a national search conducted for a new DC with a different philosophy. Promoting from within probably is going to be more of the same.
                    Then, I'd be curious if they'd have to force Stig out too, unless the defense doesn't improve its performance at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksBacker View Post
                      Haven't read any comments on this thread yet. Congrats on the win to YSU. They are a very solid team. They kept the Jacks offense off the field the entire game. Our D has a LOT to prove in the upcoming weeks, I think they have the talent, it's just about going out and executing. Still very proud to be a Jackrabbit, I believe in this team. Let's go 1-0 next week !
                      YSU proved they are better, and that it isn’t close. Anyone who watched that game knows it. They physically embarrassed us. Right now, the only thing I believe about this team is that I watched a 7-4 team get its ass kicked all night. We looked soft and played like we just needed to flip our helmets on the field to win the game. Maybe we need to figure out that the game is won on the field and not in the preseason news clippings.
                      Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                      The bend don't break defense just got snapped right in half. Time for a new scheme, since we dont have the front four to run it. I don't think it's a coaching issue just an inability to change to the personal we have. Our offense didn't even get a shot and the fumble and the Int broke us. This weeks story back to the drawing board.
                      The entire team got manhandled but they made our defense look like a jr high team.
                      Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      They broke. YSU wasn't focused on scoring points, they wanted to control the ball and keep it out of our offense's hands. That's exactly what they did. Just because you didn't give up a bunch of points doesn't mean you didn't break. When an opposing team does exactly what they want to, that's not bending, that's breaking.
                      Exactly. They didn’t care about a ton of points. They cared about having the ball for a ton of time. We were completely inept at stopping the run game. The defense I saw yesterday is how we go from national championship hopes to 7-4 and playing in Fargo, or worse, Vermillion.
                      Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      You must have watched a different game than me. Our defense was atrocious. In the last 20 minutes of that game they threw the ball twice and controlled the ball for 17 minutes! That's your defense getting their asses kicked.

Our offense was bad too but no where near as bad as the D.
                      Absolutely. If anyone tries to use the points given up argument you either A) didn’t watch the game B) don’t know football at all or C) just want to blame the offense/defend the defense results be damned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

How can you blame the offense when they hardly saw the field the 2nd half.
                        Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          That could possibly have been the worst play call I've seen in my 30 years of watching the Jacks...and that's saying something. When I saw them line up I told the guys with me it was a safety. Horrible
                          But you saw the exact same play in the exact same situation last December in Fargo, right?
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Really don't know football all that much,but humor me for a min and allow me to ask,is this the play ZZ ran 99 yds for a TD against KU? Maybe,if it is, is why they are in love with this play.The only reason I ask is that it was mentioned that the guard was pulling and the hand off was somewhat delayed. Link
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-01-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              Really don't know football all that much,but indulge me for a min to ask,is this the play ZZ ran 99 yds for a TD against KU? Maybe,if it is, is why they are in love with this play.The only reason I ask is that it was mentioned that the guard was pulling and the hand off was somewhat delayed. Link
                              We could have used ZZ last night. Poor Micky, he is not ZZ yet, but we got to give him another chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                We could have used ZZ last night. Poor Micky, he is not ZZ yet, but we got to give him another chance.
                                Most definitely,many chances I hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X