Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Originally posted by Bits View Post
    This is where I'm at and why I'm not as anxious about our defensive performance. Sure, our defense needs improvement, but all hopes and aspirations of this season hinged on a serviceable defense and a dominant offense. I don't think any of us expect to hold most quality opponents to under 10-14 points. All signs pointed to us having a prolific, possibly best in school history, offense. That means we would score points in bunches. Are any of us truly concerned about time of possession if our offense puts up 30+ points easily every Saturday? I'm not.

We (me included) have talked about how teams now have a blueprint to beat us with ball control, TOP, and keep it out of our offenses hands. But, what if our offense was truly dominant and scored on most possessions? Our oppenent scores, we take the ball, march it right back down in 3 minutes and score another touchdown. I would submit that this would put the pressure on our opponents to keep up with us, maybe take the opponent out of their gameplan if they don't score on a couple consecutive possessions. You typically don't want to shorten the game with a running clock if you're down by 2 scores.

I guess in my mind, we have 1 unit (offense) that was supposed to be the best in FCS. We have another unit (defense) that should be serviceable. We have got to be able to rely on the offense scoring points, even if the defense is giving up 300+ yards rushing and allowing 3rd down conversions at 65-70% rate. I know this makes the offenses job harder when they stand on the sideline for 8 minutes at a time. But the offense just simply cannot fail us, because our defense on most nights is not going to be dominant.
    HEre is where I think your point is right and how many people on here are overlooking. we aren't suppose to have a great defense this year. Our offense flat out stunk, if they have drives that last for 5 minutes at a time that means our D has less time to spend on the field. If we can score more then 1/7 of the time. that makes it harder for the other team to keep up. If we get a lead, then the other team has to score and hope they can stop the offense. If our D makes them grind out drives and hopefully get them off on 3rd downs, we will be just fine. Last week didn't go well. But if we bend but don't break, That shortens the game if you will because they will have less time to score. The point of clock management goes both ways. giving up big plays and quick scores doesn't help. Our D had a late stand to keep them from scoring at the half, and a deep turnover. I feel those things were overlooked by everyone railing on the D. The offense failed us, the defense has issues and needs to get off the field on 3rd downs, but the offense has to do more with the talent they have.

Finally frankly I am not sure our offense is all its cracked up too be. I think that is on coaches really. The beast and the wizard can only bail TC out on so many throws and make a big play out of it. The online should be solid, we have 4 running backs IMHO who deserve carries, but we don't utilize them enough. You can have more then one formation with a running back. you can use 2, heck, with TC and his running, a few option designed run plays would be huge. I think any 4 of the RBs could be effective, fake the option, make them bite on the run, then you have the beast and the wizard in much easier situations with the safeties cheating on the run. See what cal poly did to us. They killed us last year with the pass because we cheated and couldn't stop the run. opened up really easy passes for that team.

What ever is going on with the offense, it sure feels like the timing is off or something isn't clicking.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This thread should be top 10 material of meltdowns. Maybe I have forgot about better ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
        This thread should be top 10 material of meltdowns. Maybe I have forgot about better ones.
        I guess I don't see it as a meltdown. What is wrong with being frustrated about some things and talking about them? I don't see people saying that the whole season is a loss and this team is terrible. I see people pointing out some issues that need to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          I guess I don't see it as a meltdown. What is wrong with being frustrated about some things and talking about them? I don't see people saying that the whole season is a loss and this team is terrible. I see people pointing out some issues that need to be fixed.
          Nothing wrong with any of that. That's the fun part. IMO we have not looked good all year! Almost seems like we could be out thinking ourselves. If you never seen us play before or knew nothing about this team I would bet you would never guess we have atleast 2 NFL prospects on offense.

Comment

The offense needs reps in the non conference games instead of trying to get players experience, not running up the score and worrying about injures

The Read Option offense is not a favorite and I think the Jacks struggle with it still especially in the run game. The team looks like a pro style offense with TE,WR and RBs IMO.

The defense had had one stop with the interception at YSU. YSU running out of time at half was a blunder by their coaches and players. The end of the game YSU had enough points and we’re satisfied running out the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              SDSU has been in the playoffs 6 of the last 8 seasons. How many schools can say that? Here is the list:

New Hampshire - 8
              NDSU - 7
              Eastern Washington - 6
              Sam Houston State - 6

The fact that so many on this board take playoff appearances for granted speaks volumes of the success we have had.
              How many of those teams have made it farther than the quarterfinals? How many teams not on that list have made it farther than the quarterfinals?
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                Have you coached football? Or is your experience watching the Vikings getting their ass kicked every Sunday?(sorry viking fans) like 90% of the people on here that bitch about coaching, in football and basketball. Maybe you played so that makes you the expert.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                  Have you coached football? Or is your experience watching the Vikings getting their ass kicked every Sunday?(sorry viking fans) like 90% of the people on here that bitch about coaching, in football and basketball. Maybe you played so that makes you the expert.
                  Ah, the "you need to be or have done x in order to criticize x" argument.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

All I can say is good thing the rest of us don't get the scrutiny after a bad day of work that coaches get after a loss.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      Ah, the "you need to be or have done x in order to criticize x" argument.
                      I'm not sure he's completely off base. Ive watched a fair bit of football but I'm far from an expert with X's and O's. I'm sure that applies to many on here.

What I see with our program is year after year having a game or three during the regular season where we either lose a game we shouldn't or play dreadfully bad like last Saturday. Is that coaching, inferior talent, lack of depth, or some other reason? I don't know but to make the next step easier it'd be nice to have a seed high enough we don't have to go through cargo in the quarters or second round. We gotta be pretty dominate through the regular season for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        I'm not sure he's completely off base. Ive watched a fair bit of football but I'm far from an expert with X's and O's. I'm sure that applies to many on here.

What I see with our program is year after year having a game or three during the regular season where we either lose a game we shouldn't or play dreadfully bad like last Saturday. Is that coaching, inferior talent, lack of depth, or some other reason? I don't know but to make the next step easier it'd be nice to have a seed high enough we don't have to go through cargo in the quarters or second round. We gotta be pretty dominate through the regular season for that to happen.
                        Its hard to know how bad this loss really is. Maybe YSU is just heads above everyone right now and on their way to Frisco again. Maybe they were just on and we had a bad game, to many things to guess right now. After the season is over we will see where we stand and maybe it was we just went against someone better then us.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Its hard to know how bad this loss really is. Maybe YSU is just heads above everyone right now and on their way to Frisco again. Maybe they were just on and we had a bad game, to many things to guess right now. After the season is over we will see where we stand and maybe it was we just went against someone better then us.
                          The teams with better conference records still have to play each other (and the Jacks have to play four of them), so much will change in the next month.

Combining a couple of other postings -- setting aside the argument about Stig being a top 5 FCS coach, what I think some fail to appreciate is either the disruption that would likely occur with a coaching change or the limitations on the coaching search. Might there be a chance that a new coach would want to implement schemes antithetical to current players' strengths (e.g., Christion)?

That is not to say teams should never change coaches, but the grass is not always greener -- the Jacks could be like the Jayhawks (in terms of frequency of "regime" change, not records).

I think people expect FCS coaches to perform like FBS or even NFL coaches, but there are factors that do not generally allow that. Namely roster attrition, recruiting constraints, fiscal disparities, etc.

Plus, I do think that folks ignore the progress that has been made. However, I will say this, if the Jacks lose two more games, as many on here have predicted, I will join others in saying that perhaps it is time for a coaching change (assuming injuries to starters do not account for the primary reasons for the losses).

Comment

I never claimed to be an expert and I don't have time to coach, otherwise I would love to get into it. Also, my profession (no, not sports betting) pays much better than coaching would.

For the mention of "good thing we don't get this much scrutiny for a bad day at work", that's just the way it is with coaching. There are no parallels that can be drawn to regular jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                              The offense needs reps in the non conference games instead of trying to get players experience, not running up the score and worrying about injures

The Read Option offense is not a favorite and I think the Jacks struggle with it still especially in the run game. The team looks like a pro style offense with TE,WR and RBs IMO.

The defense had had one stop with the interception at YSU. YSU running out of time at half was a blunder by their coaches and players. The end of the game YSU had enough points and we’re satisfied running out the clock.
                              This.

The score could have easily been 40-7.

We were completely manhandled.

Comment

What I see wrong with the bend but don't break is we keep bending until they reach the end zone,taking up a lot of time in the process.At some point the bending has to stop and the 'D' has to become rigid,unmovable,and force them to give up the ball.Then the'D' can take a good break while the offense gets their turn,a good long turn instead of 3 & out one would hope.Both sides of the ball under performed against the guins...learn and become better.

Comment

Working...
                                X