GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

I also wonder about what a few people have mentioned, has this team spent too much time listening to and reading about how great they were going to be this year? Maybe this will be a wake up call. The defense/scheme does have me worried though and if that does not improve we will be a 7-4 team.

Comment

I couldn't help but thinking that after the game. So much hype with players and coaches talking championships and expectations pre season. Then to put out that type of effort is just saddening. It's like how can you talk it up so much and then come out with that kind of a lack of energy in the conference opener? There's what gets released to the media and then there's the actual team and I would say yes they let it screw with them. Perhaps put a little too much energy into their hype and not any left for the actual game.

Comment

After being a seed last year, and with what was returning, I would have been disappointed if the players and coaching staff didn't think that they can make a run towards Frisco. Did they lay an egg last night ? No one can argue with that. But there have not been many National Championship teams that have gone undefeated. Including a previously mentioned Bison team that lost to UNI and a bottom of the conference USD team. At home. What matters now is how they respond. I fully expect to be 7-1 going into the Marker game. With the way the Valley is going, I don't think anyone runs the table. Two losses could very well share a conference title. The negativity kind of reminds me of late January when most were writing off the Jacks and many thought Otz was in over his head. Remembering how that turned out will keep me as an optimist for awhile longer.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          After being a seed last year, and with what was returning, I would have been disappointed if the players and coaching staff didn't think that they can make a run towards Frisco. Did they lay an egg last night ? No one can argue with that. But there have not been many National Championship teams that have gone undefeated. Including a previously mentioned Bison team that lost to UNI and a bottom of the conference USD team. At home. What matters now is how they respond. I fully expect to be 7-1 going into the Marker game. With the way the Valley is going, I don't think anyone runs the table. Two losses could very well share a conference title. The negativity kind of reminds me of late January when most were writing off the Jacks and many thought Otz was in over his head. Remembering how that turned out will keep me as an optimist for awhile longer.
          Coach Otz switched defensive philosophies midway through the season from mostly zone to start to mostly man the second half of the season. Hopefully our fb coaches have the same willingness to make major changes if needed. They have shown in the past they generally don't

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
            Coach Otz switched defensive philosophies midway through the season from mostly zone to start to mostly man the second half of the season. Hopefully our fb coaches have the same willingness to make major changes if needed. They have shown in the past they generally don't
            You don't think they've altered offensive schemes to better suit Christion's ability?

On defense, there was a stretch where they performed markedly better later in the season last year, including road contests against NDSU and UNI, so I think it can (and will) be done.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
              I couldn't help but thinking that after the game. So much hype with players and coaches talking championships and expectations pre season. Then to put out that type of effort is just saddening. It's like how can you talk it up so much and then come out with that kind of a lack of energy in the conference opener? There's what gets released to the media and then there's the actual team and I would say yes they let it screw with them. Perhaps put a little too much energy into their hype and not any left for the actual game.
              If that's any explanation for what happened, hopefully bigticket is right and this Sat. marks the beginning of the march upward.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                How can you blame the offense when they hardly saw the field the 2nd half.
                The defense played bad but the offense didn't light things up either. I think our offense ran 5, 4, 5, 1 and 6 plays on their last 5 drives of the game. That tells me the offense had the ball but they didn't move the ball when they had it.
                I think we had a 1 play drive against NDSU last year, too. Our D got a pick but the offense had a safety on the 1 play.

Comment

The score at half was 14-7.
                  What halftime changes did the defense make? YSU continued to run, run run. I believe only seven short passes in the second half.
                  The offense had the ball in the second half for 3 minutes and 36 seconds.
                  Game over.
                  Last edited by Hareofthedog; 10-01-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                    If that's any explanation for what happened, hopefully bigticket is right and this Sat. marks the beginning of the march upward.
                    I don't know that it's an explanation for what happened but do find it backwards how there can be so much hype and talk heading into a season so many statements with very high expectations made to then come out in the conference opener and give what looked like crap effort imo. Yes I know the media is its own animal and I know it is only one game but still it means something. I hope it's the begginning of the march upward as well but could also be the continuation of a massive letdown of a year. We have looked easily like a bottom half Mvc team since we got up early on msu.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      The defense played bad but the offense didn't light things up either. I think our offense ran 5, 4, 5, 1 and 6 plays on their last 5 drives of the game. That tells me the offense had the ball but they didn't move the ball when they had it.
                      I think we had a 1 play drive against NDSU last year, too. Our D got a pick but the offense had a safety on the 1 play.
                      Agreed. Lots of prints on the murder weapon. Our offense doesn't take much time to score so when Youngstown took 9 minutes on their first drive i was afraid we were in for a long day. A ball control offense is especially bad for our defense.

Comment

Stig was outcoached...just not sure if he was outcoached by the other coach or himself. SDSU's strength is the passing game (vertical passing like a previous poster mentioned). How many running plays were called? imho, those were all wasted plays. At the beginning of the game the receivers were getting open. YSU had no answer for Goedert...that is until he didn't protect the ball and fumbled on the 5. Maybe that was just a freak thing, but it looked like Goedert was sloppy and didn't protect the ball. Anyway, it just seemed like Stig was determined to get a run game going. YSU did better getting short runs and running the clock than if they scored more and used less clock. Sooner or later SDSU would abandon the run game...and then it could get ugly for YSU. I know you can't pass every down...but with your offense I would think it should be 70/30 pass to run ratio...if not more. I checked and SDSU had 37 plays, 21 of them were passes...so that was 57% passing. My guess is Stig outcoached himself.

Comment

The whole team and staff were out coached.

Comment

The Sky isn't falling, although it feels like it. (YET)

The team was dominated in nearly every way. It wasn't the defense's fault, it wasn't the offense's fault, it was a failure on both sides of the ball.

With that being said, I firmly believe that if Goedert doesn't fumble on that first drive, and they score a TD, and go ahead 7-0, the game takes on a whole different feel.

It's game played by young men, barely out of their teens.(some of them still in their teens) Lots of emotion and learning going on. Sometimes the best thing for a team with lofty expectations and big dreams, is a cold dose of reality.

The season was not decided on Saturday night. How the team responds to it, will decide this season.

That said, the performance of the team was disheartening, to say the least, and I hope it serves as a wake up call. They won't win many Valley games playing like that.

Comment

I have not read the posts in this thread since Friday...picked up at post 281 by TransAmBison. I think i'll just pass on going back in reading this thread. I was at a wedding reception and watched significant parts of the games on an iPad brought by another Jacks fan. YSU sure looked like the better team in the parts I saw. Anyway, we usually have a loss at this time of the year and we recover so I'm sticking with that: we'll recover.

Comment

Stig is scheduled to go on KWSN at 3:20 today. I'm sure he'll get a bunch of softball questions, but I'll be interested to see what he has to say. Too bad they don't allow people to call in and ask questions live.

Comment

Working...
                                X