GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

After reading a lot of the comments. I somewhat disagree with the pessimistic offense statements. To me, how can you expect an offense to produce when they get 15 minutes with the ball to get into a grove? They were marching on the first drive until the fumble. From what I was able to watch, it seemed they got to 3rd and 1 of 3rd and 2 every damn possession on D and couldn't get a stop. In my eyes either YSU has a really solid O or we are pretty pathetic on D, I believe the latter. As I stated before, i really see a huge amount of potential on both sides of the ball, the Jacks need to produce. I hope they get it figured out by next week or they are In for a shootout next week with SIU.

Comment

I think we got our as* handed to us, its that plain and simple. It's time to regroup.

Comment

The bend don't break defense just got snapped right in half. Time for a new scheme, since we dont have the front four to run it. I don't think it's a coaching issue just an inability to change to the personal we have. Our offense didn't even get a shot and the fumble and the Int broke us. This weeks story back to the drawing board.
        Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

I was just dumbfounded to see the d-line continue to sit back 1-3 yards off the ball on their heels before the ball was snapped. They have no shot at getting any kind of push with the technique they are being asked to use. Its very obvious when they are going to be trying to pressure the quarterback because then they are all up on the line with their weight on their down hand and and firing off the ball. When they do this they actually manage to get a little bit of a push at least. I honestly can't remember seeing another defense where the d-line lines up as far off the ball as we do and simply engages the o-line and reacts from there without trying to get into the backfield. It's very frustrating but has been this way for years now. Watching YSU's d-line their main goal was getting into the backfield and causing disruption on every play. This is pretty much what every other team does. Very frustrating to watch the guys doing the same thing over and over knowing that the results are going to be the same, knowing that its the coaches having them do this type of technique. Maybe it works with guys that have NFL talent, but we certainly don't have that across the d-line.

And i 100% agree with Cappinhard about the timeouts. Not using them is giving up by the coaches. 99.9%chance it makes no difference in the game, but to me it was them just throwing in the towel.

I was proud of the guys for stopping them on the last 2 plays of the game from the 2 yards line, would've been very easy for them to give up and let them score but they didn't

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            So much this. Forever this. Stig can stay if he has to, because I know he won't get fired, but we have got to get new people in charge of offensive and defensive play calling.
            Agreed but that also speaks to the fans booster etc. We have to get the program money so they can pay better for the coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post

THREE times now you've given up a safety on a delayed counter/draw...maybe not do that anymore...ever. Get under center and run the ball!!!! Simple up the gut, for crying out loud QB sneak it if you have too!

45+ min and 86 plays that D was on the field. Can someone tell me why Callender only played ONE freaking down..
              Just a thought because I've seen a couple of others ask this question as well. I don't mind people calling the coaches out but I hate bad mouthing kids so I'll try and answer it as of as nicely as possible.

Ask yourself why a parade all American who was 3rd in country or whatever he was in sacks ended up with SDSU as the best offer, im sure the coaches and other players figured it out by now. Can he be coached to break some bad habits (playing habits not anything else) yes but right now with his frame and those habits and assuming he probably hasn't learned how to read an offensive tackles feet yet or maybe even our own scheme he is put in on obvious passing downs. The most memorable of which was his first appearance.

As far as the offense goes can anyone really say they have looked stellar all year? Duq we struggled to connect with our big 3, Montana st same thing it was a struggle through out. Drake maybe a little better. All 3 of our first games were our offense was set up by special teams and we got a jump on teams.

Someone said is ysu that good or is our defense that bad. I think it's somewhere in between. We did force the first 2 punts of the year against ysu. I will say for adjustments, if the d lines job is to take on blockers so the linebackers can make the plays we need to do so at or behind the line of scrimmage not 2 yards deep. We actually had a decent pass rush all night but as usual with a mobile qb we need to put a spy on the qb. When we did that we held them to a minimal gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow! That was a horrible FB game. How will this defense stop any team this year? Time to change schemes, personnel and game plan. I see little leadership on defense, lack of communication and confusion. The excuses need to stop. Substituting 2-4 players constantly, secondary confused on coverage and way to far from the LOS when playing a running team. Get up in the box! Offense needs the ball more than seven possessions in a game and then needs to score. Other teams don't sub in defense like the Jacks. This was the same defense used over and over, year after year, against good running teams and it doesn't work.

QB struggled with late, high, behind and slow passes. Two deep balls only, why? Get rid of TE screen please and the slow swing pass for no gain.

The play call call at the one yard line after the interception was bad. The defense had at least seven in the box and the play call has a guard pulling. The defense overloads the gap and blows up the play where the guard pulled. Yikes. The reason for not being under center needs to stop and put TC under center during the game for situations like this play.

Comment

Originally posted by tck9199 View Post
                  Just a thought because I've seen a couple of others ask this question as well. I don't mind people calling the coaches out but I hate bad mouthing kids so I'll try and answer it as of as nicely as possible.

Ask yourself why a parade all American who was 3rd in country or whatever he was in sacks ended up with SDSU as the best offer, im sure the coaches and other players figured it out by now. Can he be coached to break some bad habits (playing habits not anything else) yes but right now with his frame and those habits and assuming he probably hasn't learned how to read an offensive tackles feet yet or maybe even our own scheme he is put in on obvious passing downs. The most memorable of which was his first appearance.

Agreed on the bold, no place for it.

In regards to 99....are you kidding me????? The kid had several FBS offers and more trips planned, that he canceled after SDSU. It felt right and he felt at home I believe is what he said. I could care less if ha can read a tackles feet. The kid is athletically gifted. Do I think he needs to start? No...but every 3rd and 7 or more he should be in there. If the drive gets to 6 plays or more he should be rotating in there.

Don't even get me going on the DL lining up 1-3 yds off...I haven't understood that since I joined this forum several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                    Agreed on the bold, no place for it.

In regards to 99....are you kidding me????? The kid had several FBS offers and more trips planned, that he canceled after SDSU. It felt right and he felt at home I believe is what he said. I could care less if ha can read a tackles feet. The kid is athletically gifted. Do I think he needs to start? No...but every 3rd and 7 or more he should be in there. If the drive gets to 6 plays or more he should be rotating in there.

Don't even get me going on the DL lining up 1-3 yds off...I haven't understood that since I joined this forum several years ago.
                    In name FBS offers..you may care less about if he can read a tackles feet but I'm guessing you haven't played above high school football. Why should he be in on 3 and long has he done something in a game or even in practice to show he needs to be in? We had another 3 star recruit defensive end on the team the last few years from Florida that everyone including the media was excited about. How did he pan out? Just because you sit In the stands or watch on tv and don't see him doesn't mean he earned playing time bc you said so.

Again for the 3rd time this week I'll say it the d lines job on this team is to take on blockers in the run game when it's not an obvious down (pass or run) the are back to read the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                      The bend don't break defense just got snapped right in half. Time for a new scheme, since we dont have the front four to run it. I don't think it's a coaching issue just an inability to change to the personal we have. Our offense didn't even get a shot and the fumble and the Int broke us. This weeks story back to the drawing board.
                      They only gave up 17 points. I'd say they didn't break. Especially since when the offense did have they ball they couldn't sustain a drive. Our offense couldn't do anything. So much for a quick strike offense.

Maybe we should run more fake field goals. That seems to be our best offensive play.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

maybe if the d learned how to tackle instead of letting go. there was some p**s poor tackling going on.

Comment

Some of my quick complaints...

1. Why do we still do that dumb thing where we drop 8 guys in zone coverage on 3rd and long, I don't recall it ever working for us. It especially doesn't work on 3rd and 13 when all 8 guys drop back 15 yards. We have super athletic LB's, lets use them for something other than zone coverage.

2. Our DE's basically took themselves out of every pass play by penetrating way to deep, the YSU T's just rode them out of the play. This allowed for all those easy run's by the QB. I blame this on coaching, this is an adjustment that needed made right away.

3. I said it last night, and I'll say it again...WE ARE A ****ING VERTICAL OFFENSE!!! Push the ball down the field. Those swing passes and TE screens that Coach EE loves so much won't do jack squat when the D has decided you aren't even gonna try to take the top off. Also those two plays won't work out to well in Valley play when you run them in the exact same down and distance situations every time. Our running game is predicated off of our passing game, not the other way around, yet we still try to force it.

The good thing, all these problems are very fixable...it's up to the staff to do whats needed, and I think they will. I'm just annoyed that we have to go through this every year, I guess I was just hoping this season would be different. Time for us to #ChuckThePigskin again.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                            maybe if the d learned how to tackle instead of letting go. there was some p**s poor tackling going on.
                            They seemed like they were trying to strip the ball or something instead of just tackling. This resulted in an extra 3-4 yards every run.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              They only gave up 17 points. I'd say they didn't break. Especially since when the offense did have they ball they couldn't sustain a drive. Our offense couldn't do anything. So much for a quick strike offense.

Maybe we should run more fake field goals. That seems to be our best offensive play.
                              They broke. YSU wasn't focused on scoring points, they wanted to control the ball and keep it out of our offense's hands. That's exactly what they did. Just because you didn't give up a bunch of points doesn't mean you didn't break. When an opposing team does exactly what they want to, that's not bending, that's breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                They broke. YSU wasn't focused on scoring points, they wanted to control the ball and keep it out of our offense's hands. That's exactly what they did. Just because you didn't give up a bunch of points doesn't mean you didn't break. When an opposing team does exactly what they want to, that's not bending, that's breaking.
                                It's called an offense executing. We are all confused because we really haven't seen ours do that all season.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X