Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
    For those bitching about the D and TOP, don't forget the O can do something about that. 1-6 play drives don't help.
    Especially those 1 play drives when we get the ball back only down by a touchdown and shoot our own **** off by running a draw play from shotgun when we're at the 1 yard line.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Especially those 1 play drives when we get the ball back only down by a touchdown and shoot our own **** off by running a draw play from shotgun when we're at the 1 yard line.
      That could possibly have been the worst play call I've seen in my 30 years of watching the Jacks...and that's saying something. When I saw them line up I told the guys with me it was a safety. Horrible
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        That could possibly have been the worst play call I've seen in my 30 years of watching the Jacks...and that's saying something. When I saw them line up I told the guys with me it was a safety. Horrible
        And the worst part is, that exact situation has resulted in a safety at least one other time in the last two years. Against YSU in 2015, we go shot gun zone read on the 1, and Brady didn't make it out of the endzone. There may have been another similar situation last year. It's just so predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          And the worst part is, that exact situation has resulted in a safety at least one other time in the last two years. Against YSU in 2015, we go shot gun zone read on the 1, and Brady didn't make it out of the endzone. There may have been another similar situation last year. It's just so predictable.
          That was the ballgame. Even with the lopsided TOP we were only down a TD. If we score, or even flip the field, we still have a chance.

In theory this offense doesn't need to have the ball for 30 minutes to score points. To me it felt almost like the coaches wanted to "out physical" YSU.

Kudos to YSU though...they can beat anyone with that kind of offense
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Hats off to the YSU coaches for coming into the game with a great game plan and the YSU players for executing it and dominating SDSU's front 7. Shame on SDSU coaches for not making adjustments. Especially after getting ran over in the first half and coming out after halftime and getting ran over even worse. I honestly don't know how a defensive coach keeps his job after calling a game like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              I love Stig as much as the next person, but this game just feels like we've driven the nail in the coffin of our ceiling as a team. We're an 8 win team, who plays good football usually. We will drop a couple bad games a year, and win one or two we're not supposed to. We're 8-3 through and through, and have been every year since 2012. And that's just completely on coaching.

The fact that our defensive depth is as terrible as it is is directly on our coaching for not building 2+ years ago on the recruiting trail. When we sit back on 3rd and 13 and rush 3, that's on our coaching. When our D is terrible at form tackling, that's on coaching. When our offensive play calling is flat out terrible, that's on coaching. After 5 years of good but not great football, you can't really keep blaming our personel on the field for our perpetual 8-3 ceiling.
              Agree. Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by jacked_up_rabbit View Post
                Our defense was not good enough to win this game. Some stats:
                YSU SDSU
                TOP: 45:14 14:46
                Totals yards: 448 222
                Passing yards: 138 157
                RUSHING YARDS: 310 65
                3rd down: 10-16 4-7
                4th down: 2-2 -

Yes our offense was not what is needed to win this game and they needed to be on the field more. But the defense has to get off the field as well. They dominated on 3rd and 4th down because it was short yardage. Time of possession was also very lopsided because they gave up over 300 rushing yards. That is a killer. They could not get off the field. I'm sticking by this being a loss on both sides of the ball. Neither side did what they needed to for this to be a W. This was much more than a 2 possession game.
                The D was on the field so much because our offense sucked. If they put some drives together that gives the D time to rest and few plays to defend. Bend but don't break isn't everyones favorite defensive mind set but they gave up 17 points and we're on the field over 45 minutes. That's impressive if you ask me against a legit title contender on the road. f you only look as run stats yeah it looks bad. In the context of what they had to go against for 45 minutes. They were great but goo enough. This is on the offense no matter how you slice it. The offense has the all conference talent. They failed.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  The D was on the field so much because our offense sucked. If they put some drives together that gives the D time to rest and few plays to defend. Bend but don't break isn't everyones favorite defensive mind set but they gave up 17 points and we're on the field over 45 minutes. That's impressive if you ask me against a legit title contender on the road. f you only look as run stats yeah it looks bad. In the context of what they had to go against for 45 minutes. They were great but goo enough. This is on the offense no matter how you slice it. The offense has the all conference talent. They failed.
                  That doesnt have a thing to do with their inability in the first half to get off the field. The D was gassed because they never got a stop on 3rd down when needed. It's that simple. Our offense didn't help at all in the second half, but don't act like our D was creating opportunities for the O either. You can't make the "worn out" excuse when the first YSU drive in the first half was 9+ minutes long. They're gassed because they didn't bail themselves out and they're gassed because our defensive play calling didn't help put them into position to get off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    The D was on the field so much because our offense sucked.

I'm pretty sure the offense didn't keep giving up 8 yards every time they ran the ball and I know the offense didn't give up 3rd down after 3rd down after 3rd down after 3rd down.

Comment

I just can't get over these stats. We were under 50% for completions. YSU doubled us up in yardage! How does so much talent translate into this kind of drubbing? I'm only disappointed in the loss (I expected a loss or 2 this year with how tough the conference is). I'm upset at how we didn't look like we even belonged on the same field! When is the last time a national champion contender got dismantled during their championship season?

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
                        I just can't get over these stats. We were under 50% for completions. YSU doubled us up in yardage! How does so much talent translate into this kind of drubbing? I'm only disappointed in the loss (I expected a loss or 2 this year with how tough the conference is). I'm upset at how we didn't look like we even belonged on the same field! When is the last time a national champion contender got dismantled during their championship season?
                        I'm not sure about "dismantled", but NDSU lost at UNI 23-3 in 2014 and at home against USD on a last second field goal in 2015. We know how those seasons ended for the Bison.

Best case scenario is this is loss wakes up the beast. Worse case scenario is that this team isn't nearly as good as some think it is.

Comment

The score could've just as well been 38-7...forever I'll be a proponent of taking risks. I still would rather see the D get burned on a long TD play than endure 9+ min drives.

Daniel has a 10 yard run and then you wait until the 2nd half to get it back to him?!?!? Give that kid the ball!

THREE times now you've given up a safety on a delayed counter/draw...maybe not do that anymore...ever. Get under center and run the ball!!!! Simple up the gut, for crying out loud QB sneak it if you have too!

45+ min and 86 plays that D was on the field. Can someone tell me why Callender only played ONE freaking down?!?!?!?!?!?

This game could be the kinda game that lights a spark and gets this team going....it could also be the kind that sends us in a tailspin. Coaches have a lot of work to do...a lot of work. This to me is on them, poor game plan, poor play calling and poor in game adjustments. No one is scared to play us.

Philosophies better change. We have the athletes try it out...what's the worst that could happen? Blitzing D doesn't work? Then you can go back to the bend, don't break...

Comment

Just watch a replay of the game because I was busy. My thought: so much for improvement week. We got our asses handed to us in every single facet of the game.

Comment

See a lot of people talking about hoping this is a turning point for the team. My question.....Why in the h*'ll do we need a turning point year after year?

Comment

Haven't read any comments on this thread yet. Congrats on the win to YSU. They are a very solid team. They kept the Jacks offense off the field the entire game. Our D has a LOT to prove in the upcoming weeks, I think they have the talent, it's just about going out and executing. Still very proud to be a Jackrabbit, I believe in this team. Let's go 1-0 next week !

Comment

Working...
                                X