GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ YSU Flightless Birds

We're a vertical offense, be vertical!!! The swing pass and center screen are **** unless you are already pushing the ball downfield. The D wasn't great, but they weren't bad...we didn't lose because of them.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Our defense was good enough to win the game for sure. Bad tackling on special teams and offense who took the day off was what I saw. D didn't give up when it would have been easy too. If these D gives up less then 20 we should win easily.
      Our defense was not good enough to win this game. Some stats:
      YSU SDSU
      TOP: 45:14 14:46
      Totals yards: 448 222
      Passing yards: 138 157
      RUSHING YARDS: 310 65
      3rd down: 10-16 4-7
      4th down: 2-2 -

Yes our offense was not what is needed to win this game and they needed to be on the field more. But the defense has to get off the field as well. They dominated on 3rd and 4th down because it was short yardage. Time of possession was also very lopsided because they gave up over 300 rushing yards. That is a killer. They could not get off the field. I'm sticking by this being a loss on both sides of the ball. Neither side did what they needed to for this to be a W. This was much more than a 2 possession game.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Our defense was good enough to win the game for sure. Bad tackling on special teams and offense who took the day off was what I saw. D didn't give up when it would have been easy too. If these D gives up less then 20 we should win easily.
        I totally disagree. Tyler said the offense had the ball for 16 minutes. Once again they could not get off the field on 3rd down. Starting conference play just like last season ended.

Comment

This game was bad all the way around. The D sucked in the first half. The O sucked in the second half. No one should feel good about getting stops in the red zone either. If the D is doing their job, we should be forcing punts, not making red zone stands. Total team loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            This game was bad all the way around. The D sucked in the first half. The O sucked in the second half. No one should feel good about getting stops in the red zone either. If the D is doing their job, we should be forcing punts, not making red zone stands. Total team loss.
            Couldn't agree with you more.

Comment

I have a hard time saying the d wasn't atrocious. What was the yards per carry rushing? Is this going to be the best rushing team we see this year? I doubt it. i can count four teams that could possibly do this again in the mvfc. I hope I'm wrong but I was nervous after the MSU game. I still think they are an average big sky team.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Is noone else concerned at the fact that Stig didn't use his timeouts? I feel like this is a big deal. Maybe it's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  Is noone else concerned at the fact that Stig didn't use his timeouts? I feel like this is a big deal. Maybe it's just me.
                  It seemed like the coaches threw in the towel at halftime so I don't know why it's bothering u so much...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit3467 View Post
                    I have a hard time saying the d wasn't atrocious. What was the yards per carry rushing? Is this going to be the best rushing team we see this year? I doubt it. i can count four teams that could possibly do this again in the mvfc. I hope I'm wrong but I was nervous after the MSU game. I still think they are an average big sky team.

Well Montana State did lose to Weber St. tonight. They are now 1-3 on the year.

Comment

I may used one after a short gain on 1st down as it makes the use of a TO in a better situation. Not sure if that ever happened. So to me it was not that big of deal.

Comment

I think it's just that there are 37 other more pressing concerns.
                        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I love Stig as much as the next person, but this game just feels like we've driven the nail in the coffin of our ceiling as a team. We're an 8 win team, who plays good football usually. We will drop a couple bad games a year, and win one or two we're not supposed to. We're 8-3 through and through, and have been every year since 2012. And that's just completely on coaching.

The fact that our defensive depth is as terrible as it is is directly on our coaching for not building 2+ years ago on the recruiting trail. When we sit back on 3rd and 13 and rush 3, that's on our coaching. When our D is terrible at form tackling, that's on coaching. When our offensive play calling is flat out terrible, that's on coaching. After 5 years of good but not great football, you can't really keep blaming our personel on the field for our perpetual 8-3 ceiling.

Comment

For those bitching about the D and TOP, don't forget the O can do something about that. 1-6 play drives don't help.

EDIT: FYI I edited my post to give the O more leeway, so I gave us 6 plays instead of 4. I don't remember how long our longest drive was sans the first two of the top of my head as I am thankfually somewhat inebriated right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                              I love Stig as much as the next person, but this game just feels like we've driven the nail in the coffin of our ceiling as a team. We're an 8 win team, who plays good football usually. We will drop a couple bad games a year, and win one or two we're not supposed to. We're 8-3 through and through, and have been every year since 2012. And that's just completely on coaching.

The fact that our defensive depth is as terrible as it is is directly on our coaching for not building 2+ years ago on the recruiting trail. When we sit back on 3rd and 13 and rush 3, that's on our coaching. When our D is terrible at form tackling, that's on coaching. When our offensive play calling is flat out terrible, that's on coaching. After 5 years of good but not great football, you can't really keep blaming our personel on the field for our perpetual 8-3 ceiling.
                              So much this. Forever this. Stig can stay if he has to, because I know he won't get fired, but we have got to get new people in charge of offensive and defensive play calling.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                                For those bitching about the D and TOP, don't forget the O can do something about that. 1-4 play drives don't help.
                                I don't think this was directed at me, but that is the exact point I was trying to make. I'll repeat, we had the ball for 3:36 the ENTIRE 2nd half. That could be accomplished by 11 of us that are on this board tonight.
                                Last edited by Bits; 09-30-2017, 09:07 PM. Reason: cleaned up wording

Comment

Working...
                                X