Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is UMKC coming back?

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    I hadn't heard that about the Horizon league. The last I knew, last summer the commish talked about expanding anywhere from two to four teams in the next couple of years.

The MWC has approached Gonzaga about moving....that will open up a spot in the WCC.

CSU Bakersfield will join the Big West in 2020, that will leave a shortage in the WAC especially with UMKC and Chicago State in flux.

It seems like things are going to really change out west in the next couple of years. It will be interesting to see how the dust settles.
    Maybe we could then convince New Mexico State to leave the WAC. They could still play in the Sun Belt as an affiliate member for football, and move the rest of their sports to the Summit.

Would much rather have NMSU than UMKC!

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
      I hadn't heard that about the Horizon league. The last I knew, last summer the commish talked about expanding anywhere from two to four teams in the next couple of years.

The MWC has approached Gonzaga about moving....that will open up a spot in the WCC.

CSU Bakersfield will join the Big West in 2020, that will leave a shortage in the WAC especially with UMKC and Chicago State in flux.

It seems like things are going to really change out west in the next couple of years. It will be interesting to see how the dust settles.
      During their tournament, in LeCrone's state of the Horizon speech he mentioned that there are currently no expansion plans and that the league will wait and see what happens (with the MVC).

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        During their tournament, in LeCrone's state of the Horizon speech he mentioned that there are currently no expansion plans and that the league will wait and see what happens (with the MVC).
        Good info....would hate to see IPFW get poached before we have a backup plan in place.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I say hell no on Augie. They were at best mediocre in the NCC at least the last few years when I was in school. To think they can make the jump and be a contender is a stretch IMO.

I firmly believe their recent success (and NSU's) is helped by USD and SDSU being DI. There are a lot of kids in South Dakota that aren't DI caliber talents that the Augie's and NSU's aren't competing with State and U for.
          I agree. Let's not try to bring back the NCC. The Summit is better off with a diverse membership group.

I think that anytime you can take 2 schools out of the recruiting process (SDSU/USD) it helps all the other programs in that state. I also think that having those DI schools has raised the level of play. I can really see this in girl's basketball in the state.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

All this talk ends up boiling down to we don’t want UMKC cause they’re a pretty poor addition but our next best options are DII schools or hoping that schools without real incentive to jump to the Summit.

And yet people will still ravenously say that the Summit is on par with the MVC overall and we should turn them down if offered....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

When Douple was in Sioux Falls at the Staters club, he said that the Summit could go to 12 tomorrow if they wanted to do so. But inferred the right team was more important than the number at this point. I asked if losing a baseball team would put the basketball automatic qualifier in jeopardy and he said that was not an issue and that we could pick up an affiliate member for baseball if needed. He was asked about Augie and UMKC. I don't remember his exact words but the implication was that they weren't out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                All this talk ends up boiling down to we don’t want UMKC cause they’re a pretty poor addition but our next best options are DII schools or hoping that schools without real incentive to jump to the Summit.

And yet people will still ravenously say that the Summit is on par with the MVC overall and we should turn them down if offered....

Makes sense right? I do know one conference has a team in the sweet 16. One doesn’t.

Comment

Makes sense right? I do know one conference has a team in the sweet 16. One doesn’t.
                  I don't think many are arguing that the Summit is a better conference than the MVC, but I do still think it is the better conference for SDSU.

Think we go to 5 NCAA tourneys the last 7 years if we are playing in the MVC?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    I don't think many are arguing that the Summit is a better conference than the MVC, but I do still think it is the better conference for SDSU.

Not better but many were arguing they were equal.

I also agree that we may be better off in the summit but at some point will we max out our potential in the summit? Moving to the MVC would force us to up our game.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how Loyola does the rest of the way. They are 28-2 when Clayton Custer is in their lineup, as he will be this round, and 2-3 when he is out. They are a tough out and have a favorable draw with Nevada.

Comment

Not better but many were arguing they were equal.

I also agree that we may be better off in the summit but at some point will we max out our potential in the summit? Moving to the MVC would force us to up our game.
                        I would contend that the athletic department is forcing the game to improve. Scheduling OOC is another step that could push up the game as the talent has and is improving. The hiring of Coach Otz has proven to be a step in the right direction. Drake was chasing after Craig Smith a year ago. At least some of the teams are pulling their weight in the conference to make it better. UMKC would not be a plus with their last 10 years of history. I would also agree that the Summit is a good fit for the Jackrabbits at this time.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

There were a lot of people arguing that the Summit was on or or better and about to pass the MVC. And we might not have gotten to 5 NCAAs but I bet we would have gotten good seeds and a win or two if we made it. I mean, if we’re all about just making postseason tournaments and making it as easy as possible let’s move the football team out of the MVFC and into some slack ass conference like the Ohio Valley.

I’m 100% of the opinion that an unstable conference whose best options are UMKC or begging a DII to move up is not the best option for SDSU, no matter where the conference tourney is. I’m also 100% against just sitting on our hands and hoping the worst doesn’t happen because of a tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            I would contend that the athletic department is forcing the game to improve. Scheduling OOC is another step that could push up the game as the talent has and is improving. The hiring of Coach Otz has proven to be a step in the right direction. Drake was chasing after Craig Smith a year ago. At least some of the teams are pulling their weight in the conference to make it better. UMKC would not be a plus with their last 10 years of history. I would also agree that the Summit is a good fit for the Jackrabbits at this time.
                            There are two teams pulling their weight, not some. It’s SDSU, USD, and nobody else outside of random flashes. NDSUs program is going downhill and their women’s team is garbage, and the rest of the conference is similar at best.

Comment

......I’m 100% of the opinion that an unstable conference whose best options are UMKC or begging a DII to move up is not the best option for SDSU, no matter where the conference tourney is. I’m also 100% against just sitting on our hands and hoping the worst doesn’t happen because of a tournament.

My exact opinion regarding Summit stability and tournament.

I love the tournament, it's a great 4 days of basketball, but it can't be the be all end all.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

There are two teams pulling their weight, not some. It’s SDSU, USD, and nobody else outside of random flashes. NDSUs program is going downhill and their women’s team is garbage, and the rest of the conference is similar at best.

NDSU seem to have given up on BB. Giving their women's coach a 6 year deal was insane. And Richmond was not the answer after Phillips. I have to think if there is not an improvement next season Richmond is gone. But who knows. They put so much money into their FB program, they may not have the money to bring in a better head Men's coach. That program is slowly becoming an after thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X