Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is UMKC coming back?

http://umkcroos.proboards.com/thread/1004/summit

I just came across this earlier today. UMKC has been doing a review of athletics with three options, dropping sports, dropping back to DII or staying DI and switching conferences. The poster above claims to have heard from a good source that UMKC will return to the Summit after this season. Time will tell.

Re: Is UMKC coming back?

This will work for me. Let's hope it happens.

Comment

No problem,as long as they get over their fixation over "green grass" , if you get my meaning, and want a home ,at least for a while anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        No problem,as long as they get over their fixation over "green grass" , if you get my meaning, and want a home ,at least for a while anyway.
        It depends how ambitious the head person is at UMKC is now. The posts from their board suggest that they have a new administration. It seems to be instability down there in admin people.

Comment

My opinion is that the Summit League needs to add not only UMKC, but they need to try to get Chicago State back in the league. (CSU was in the Mid-Continent from 94-06.) Adding both of those schools will add some (maybe a lot of) stability to the league.

If and when Ft Wayne goes to the Horizon League the Summit will be down to 5 baseball schools (need 6 for auto bid). Chicago State has baseball. It also gives Western Illinois a close opponent and might keep them from considering joining the Ohio Valley. (If and most likely when Murray State joins the MVC next year, WIU would probably get looked at by the OVC.)

Then there's always the outside chance that Oral Roberts could also get looked at by the MVC since they are wanting to go to 12. Missouri State and other MVC schools are concerned about Missouri State not having a travel partner if Murray State joins. ORU is fairly close to MSU and is also a private school and has had quite a bit of success in basketball in the past. (The MVC is currently split 5-5 public/private which is why ORU being a private is important.)

So the worst case scenario if CSU and UMKC is added is that the Summit would be down to 8 if Ft Wayne, WIU, and ORU all left, and it's probably unlikely that all three will leave. It's probably somewhat unlikely two will leave. If ORU left it would leave the Summit in a pickle for baseball again. Maybe North Dakota would restart their program?

Thoughts?
          Last edited by mvfcfan; 09-26-2017, 08:55 AM. Reason: added explanation

Comment

Originally posted by mvfcfan View Post
            My opinion is that the Summit League needs to add not only UMKC, but they need to try to get Chicago State back in the league. (CSU was in the Mid-Continent from 94-06.) Adding both of those schools will add some (maybe a lot of) stability to the league.

If and when Ft Wayne goes to the Horizon League the Summit will be down to 5 baseball schools (need 6 for auto bid). Chicago State has baseball. It also gives Western Illinois a close opponent and might keep them from considering joining the Ohio Valley. (If and most likely when Murray State joins the MVC next year, WIU would probably get looked at by the OVC.)

Then there's always the outside chance that Oral Roberts could also get looked at by the MVC since they are wanting to go to 12. Missouri State and other MVC schools are concerned about Missouri State not having a travel partner if Murray State joins. ORU is fairly close to MSU and is also a private school and has had quite a bit of success in basketball in the past. (The MVC is currently split 5-5 public/private which is why ORU being a private is important.)

So the worst case scenario if CSU and UMKC is added is that the Summit would be down to 8 if Ft Wayne, WIU, and ORU all left, and it's probably unlikely that all three will leave. It's probably somewhat unlikely two will leave. If ORU left it would leave the Summit in a pickle for baseball again. Maybe North Dakota would restart their program?

Thoughts?
            With the athletic money woes the Hawks are having I highly doubt baseball will be making a comeback. I'd argue USD is in a better position to add baseball.

Comment

I think I would rather add USF, MSU-Moorhead or Augie to the league then add the dumpster fire that is Chicago State.

If baseball became a real issue in the league, one of the schools that don't have it would add it on the cheap.

Comment

I think Title 9 could be a bigger problem than budget concerns.

Comment

I guess my point was if the Summit is at a point where it is either a school adds baseball/men's soccer or the league loses its autobid status....somebody is going to take the hit.

Comment

Is UMKC coming back?

Originally posted by mvfcfan View Post

Thoughts?
                    Isn’t Chicago State the one with incredibly low enrollment right now? If so, not sure how that’s considered adding stability...

Edit: I googled it. They are the ones I was thinking of. They enrolled 86 new freshman this year. I didn’t forget any zeros either. 86. How the heck is that stability for the league? How does a school even stay open and justify DI athletics somehow with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      Isn’t Chicago State the one with incredibly low enrollment right now? If so, not sure how that’s considered adding stability...

Edit: I googled it. They are the ones I was thinking of. They enrolled 86 new freshman this year. I didn’t forget any zeros either. 86. How the heck is that stability for the league? How does a school even stay open and justify DI athletics somehow with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      What percentage of those 86 freshman are there simply because they were offered scholarships to play sports?

Wow, those are crazy numbers.

Run...run away from Chicago State.

Comment

Well, if both Indiana schools are gone (and it seems like they will be)... we got UND coming in, maybe Northern Colorado would want to leave too?

I'm just spitballing.

I'm also wondering if some sort of "merger" with the Valley would be in the works? I know, I know, I know all the arguments against it (loss of the autobid) ... and the Valley schools probably wouldn't be that receptive to it. But both conferences keep losing schools, and Half of the Summit plays FB in the Valley anyway... And yes, that would currently be 18 schools... which is too many...

but I can't but feel adding UMKC isn't that great of a plan, especially if they are looking at letting go of athletics, and who knows when or if Denver could get snatched up by another conference. And, how secure is Western Illinois? Are they still in a major budget crunch?

I must admit, I love the Summit and I've gotten to enjoy cheering for/against most of the member schools, but I'm feeling pretty anxious about the long term stability of the league.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                          Well, if both Indiana schools are gone (and it seems like they will be)... we got UND coming in, maybe Northern Colorado would want to leave too?

I'm just spitballing.

I'm also wondering if some sort of "merger" with the Valley would be in the works? I know, I know, I know all the arguments against it (loss of the autobid) ... and the Valley schools probably wouldn't be that receptive to it. But both conferences keep losing schools, and Half of the Summit plays FB in the Valley anyway... And yes, that would currently be 18 schools... which is too many...

but I can't but feel adding UMKC isn't that great of a plan, especially if they are looking at letting go of athletics, and who knows when or if Denver could get snatched up by another conference. And, how secure is Western Illinois? Are they still in a major budget crunch?

I must admit, I love the Summit and I've gotten to enjoy cheering for/against most of the member schools, but I'm feeling pretty anxious about the long term stability of the league.
                          I think some kind of scheduling alliance with the MVC would be far more likely than an outright merger . . . None of the schools will be willing to give up that second autobid to the NCAA tournament, nor should they.

I still would seriously entertain the notion of inviting a Twin Cities private school — Concordia St. Paul for instance to move up to D-I and the Summit League. MSP is a big market with only the Gophers as D-I. Having another school step up and be Creighton to the U of M’s Nebraska seems to me to be a pretty solid strategy (given that I’m a rank amateur at this sort of thing).
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Latest rumor.......CollegeSportsInfo‏ @NCAAsports 9h9 hours ago More

• Copy link to Tweet
                            • Embed Tweet

UMKC expected to leave WAC and rejoin the Summit League as early as next year. Developing...

https://twitter.com/search?q=umkc%20...ummit&src=typd
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I just found this web page. Sure looks like a page about to be released/posted announcing the return of the Roos.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/members/umkc/index

Comment

Working...
                              X