Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is UMKC coming back?

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    I feel some people are either completely whiffing on the comparison I was making or being purposely obtuse. I wasn’t comparing the FCs playoffs to the NCAA tourney for bb. I was making the comparison to point out that if all we want to do is qualify for post season play it would be like moving football to the OVC because it would be much easier to qualify in that conference since it’s so weak. That was as a rebuttal to a poster asking if we would have had as many tourney appearances if we were in the MVC. I don’t think anyone was planning on us having as much success as we have in the MVFC when we moved there, but we did it because it was a better conference that was stable, along with geographically better.

I just think that the thought process of staying in the Summit for the SLT location and because we can get more tournament bids than we would in the MVC, should and invite get extended, is playing with fire. That could backfire badly and end up with us stuck in a conference that falls apart during another conference realignment shift. The best, most realistic conference for SDSU to be in geographically that is stable is the MVC. To turn that opportunity down should it present itself to us short of the BOR shooting it down would be terribly shortsighted. All the Summit has right now is a core of the four Dakota schools to lean on and that’s not enough of a core for a full and healthy conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So any good teams in the OVC should try to move to the MVFC since its better conference and harder and would raise their profile and be good for their program?
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
      You got me on that one but I would rather see us schedule two road games against better teams anyways and I would also want them to be true road that we get paid for and quit playing in Sioux Falls. If they could figure out a way to do a couple 2 for 1s that would be awesome but I would be ok with only playing guarantee games like games we had this year (Kansas, Witchita, Colorado).
      Are we rotating with USD in that 4 team tourney at the Pentagon ? If they have a field like two years ago when the Jacks were last in, that would yield a couple of quality mid-major games. If the quality is like this year, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        I feel some people are either completely whiffing on the comparison I was making or being purposely obtuse. I wasn’t comparing the FCs playoffs to the NCAA tourney for bb. I was making the comparison to point out that if all we want to do is qualify for post season play it would be like moving football to the OVC because it would be much easier to qualify in that conference since it’s so weak. That was as a rebuttal to a poster asking if we would have had as many tourney appearances if we were in the MVC. I don’t think anyone was planning on us having as much success as we have in the MVFC when we moved there, but we did it because it was a better conference that was stable, along with geographically better.

I just think that the thought process of staying in the Summit for the SLT location and because we can get more tournament bids than we would in the MVC, should and invite get extended, is playing with fire. That could backfire badly and end up with us stuck in a conference that falls apart during another conference realignment shift. The best, most realistic conference for SDSU to be in geographically that is stable is the MVC. To turn that opportunity down should it present itself to us short of the BOR shooting it down would be terribly shortsighted. All the Summit has right now is a core of the four Dakota schools to lean on and that’s not enough of a core for a full and healthy conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        So you are saying we should be expecting an invite to the MVC? That is in the damp dream stage at this point and it also behooves me that when there is not Bison envy for the football team there is MVC envy for everything else! Meanwhile, it is a static or declining scenario that we have not built this Summit thing bigger. Keep making improvements and this conference could be an established conference that might bring another good program into the stage. The Summit has moved the center of the conference west. Does that assume the conference is swirling the drain? Rhetorical question for you since we should not have ever been there in the first place. Show me the invitation to the MVC so we can knock out a wall and make a quick exit while the building crumbles behind us. Tell me again how bad the SLT has evolved.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I think Augie would be a good addition to the Summit. Don't know if that's realistic financially or with their football picture, the answer seems to be no. But they have great facilities, admin, and better fan support than most current members. It is not farfetched to think they could be competitive in the Summit within a recruiting cycle. Strictly speaking basketball.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            I think Augie would be a good addition to the Summit. Don't know if that's realistic financially or with their football picture, the answer seems to be no. But they have great facilities, admin, and better fan support than most current members. It is not farfetched to think they could be competitive in the Summit within a recruiting cycle. Strictly speaking basketball.
            You don't think they'd be a better fit in the Valley?

(I kid, I kid!!! )
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              They would be one of the smallest D1 schools in the country at 2,500 students. Their current athletic budget is $10 million, keeping FB, even in the Pioneer would mean they would have to almost double that budget in a very short time period. Minus a lot of alumni (see one of the smallest school in D1), that would not be an easy task. I realize Zimmer thinks they could keep FB as non-scholarship, but I don't see how. If Augustana is to go D1 they would need to drop FB entirely.

I really do not get the Augustana thing. It seems like everyone in Sioux Falls wants it to happen, everyone outside of Sioux Falls does not.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                So you are saying we should be expecting an invite to the MVC? That is in the damp dream stage at this point and it also behooves me that when there is not Bison envy for the football team there is MVC envy for everything else! Meanwhile, it is a static or declining scenario that we have not built this Summit thing bigger. Keep making improvements and this conference could be an established conference that might bring another good program into the stage. The Summit has moved the center of the conference west. Does that assume the conference is swirling the drain? Rhetorical question for you since we should not have ever been there in the first place. Show me the invitation to the MVC so we can knock out a wall and make a quick exit while the building crumbles behind us. Tell me again how bad the SLT has evolved.
                The SLT is what it is because of one school. Let's not pretend that's because of the rest of the league.

USD has stepped up in recent years but the rest of the conference? In the last 10 years I'd venture to guess most of the teams in the Summit have been in the bottom half of DI in basketball more times than not. That works against us in so many ways. Sitting here acting like the Summit is going to turn into an all-around powerhouse mid-major conference is a damp dream at this stage too. It's really hard to turn into a Wichita State type team when our conference mates are middle of the road teams at best. For an analogy, look at our wrestlers. They aren't training against a bunch of high school kids. They bring in former national champion coaches and train against them and then they are wrestling the best of the best in dual meets.

To be clear I'm pretty neutral on the Summit vs. MVC thing but to act like the MVC doesn't have some really really really good benefits is ridiculous. For one we'd be seeing three NCAA tourney shares this year.

Comment

If Augie goes Div I they won’t drop football. One of their big boosters Bob Hall who donated a large chunk of money for their stadium would be very unhappy. He is still the Equipment Mgr.
                  http://goaugie.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2045&path=football

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    If Augie goes Div I they won’t drop football. One of their big boosters Bob Hall who donated a large chunk of money for their stadium would be very unhappy. He is still the Equipment Mgr.
                    http://goaugie.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2045&path=football
                    For Augie to move up, they need about 500 Bob Halls and Augie is lucky to have one. I don’t see them moving up anytime soon.

Comment

If Augie moves up probably join pioneer league in division 1 football.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        For Augie to move up, they need about 500 Bob Halls and Augie is lucky to have one. I don’t see them moving up anytime soon.
                        Yeh, how many teams need 500 equipment managers? LOL

I think Augie moving up to Div 1 is a pipe dream that is at the least 10 years away. There is certainly the money in Sioux Falls to get them their, but it will take a while to get it rounded up.

Comment

I'll just throw this in here: Loyola-Chicago plays defense. Kind of fun to watch really.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I sure wouldn’t bet against the Augie move somewhere down the line, and I wouldn’t be against it either. They’d certainly have the ability to compete in basketball if done right. Hell in the past three years they’ve had both a men’s and women’s team that probably would have been capable of finishing above about half the league. They’d also immediately be right up there in attendance.

Even better - imagine how much whining USD fans would do about SLT tickets when they also have to compete with Augie fans!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                              Even better - imagine how much whining USD fans would do about SLT tickets when they also have to compete with Augie fans!
                              Now THERE is a cheery thought!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                The SLT is what it is because of one school. Let's not pretend that's because of the rest of the league.

USD has stepped up in recent years but the rest of the conference? In the last 10 years I'd venture to guess most of the teams in the Summit have been in the bottom half of DI in basketball more times than not. That works against us in so many ways. Sitting here acting like the Summit is going to turn into an all-around powerhouse mid-major conference is a damp dream at this stage too. It's really hard to turn into a Wichita State type team when our conference mates are middle of the road teams at best. For an analogy, look at our wrestlers. They aren't training against a bunch of high school kids. They bring in former national champion coaches and train against them and then they are wrestling the best of the best in dual meets.

To be clear I'm pretty neutral on the Summit vs. MVC thing but to act like the MVC doesn't have some really really really good benefits is ridiculous. For one we'd be seeing three NCAA tourney shares this year.
                                Make that 4 NCAA shares.

Comment

Working...
                                X