Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is UMKC coming back?

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    There were a lot of people arguing that the Summit was on or or better and about to pass the MVC. And we might not have gotten to 5 NCAAs but I bet we would have gotten good seeds and a win or two if we made it. I mean, if we’re all about just making postseason tournaments and making it as easy as possible let’s move the football team out of the MVFC and into some slack ass conference like the Ohio Valley.

I’m 100% of the opinion that an unstable conference whose best options are UMKC or begging a DII to move up is not the best option for SDSU, no matter where the conference tourney is. I’m also 100% against just sitting on our hands and hoping the worst doesn’t happen because of a tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure what your point is about the MVFC or why you bring that up. We've been to the postseason 6 years in a row in the MVFC, I think that is a perfect home for us right now.

Comment

I'd like to see UMKC back in the conference, largely because it would give the Jacks and other conference members two more basketball games a season against a decent D-1 opponent in the region. The more the Jacks win, the harder it gets to bring any half-decent program to Frost. Getting to Brookings is an obstacle for teams, too. Flight service in and out of Sioux Falls just isn't very accommodating. We play enough NAIA and D-2 schools already. Expand the conference before it loses another member. UMKC would be a good fit.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        Not sure what your point is about the MVFC or why you bring that up. We've been to the postseason 6 years in a row in the MVFC, I think that is a perfect home for us right now.
        Oh so you’re saying we elevated our program there and it’s helped cause us to have postseason success? I point it out because people argue we don’t make the NCAA tournament as many times as we had if we were in a challenging league like the MVC, which would be similar to us going to a slack conference for football to try to make it easier to make the playoffs. It had nothing to do with the amount of times the football team has made the playoffs.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          I'd like to see UMKC back in the conference, largely because it would give the Jacks and other conference members two more basketball games a season against a decent D-1 opponent in the region. The more the Jacks win, the harder it gets to bring any half-decent program to Frost. Getting to Brookings is an obstacle for teams, too. Flight service in and out of Sioux Falls just isn't very accommodating. We play enough NAIA and D-2 schools already. Expand the conference before it loses another member. UMKC would be a good fit.
          If UMKC was decent I would agree with this.

Comment

If UMKC was decent I would agree with this.

Decent or not two wins against bad D1 school is still better than two wins against NAIA or D2 schools. I would like them to find a better school to come in but if push comes to shove I would rather have UMKC back in the conference rather than playing schools that aren’t D1.

Unless everyone one on here would be ok with losing 2 home games every year and we start playing buy games every year in the OOC schedule and just quit scheduling those D2 games. I can almost guarantee season tickets won’t get cheaper with two less games so you will be paying the same amount for less.

Comment

If I'm Douple and the Summit League, and UMKC's coming back is really in play, I'm telling UMKC in no uncertain terms that if they re-join the Summit League, they have to look and act like a real honest to goodness Division I program . . . cheerleaders & band at all home games, radio coverage home and away, some kind of television contract, and some kind of realistic plan to attract fans and interest in KC (which is a serious uphill climb with KU a half-hour down the road, maybe even a plan in place to build a decent-sized (~5,000+) on-campus arena and get out of the high-school-sized on-campus gym/ancient Municipal Auditorium dance . . . like I've said before UMKC is possibly not even the #4 D-I option in a town where ostensibly they're the only D-I school--KU, KSU, Mizzou, even Nebraska gets more regular coverage in KC than UMKC does).

From a selfish point of view I'd love to have an opportunity to see SDSU in this town annually again, but I'm concerned that UMKC is at risk of trending down towards Chicago State territory, and I'm quite certain the Summit League shouldn't go there.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                Decent or not two wins against bad D1 school is still better than two wins against NAIA or D2 schools. I would like them to find a better school to come in but if push comes to shove I would rather have UMKC back in the conference rather than playing schools that aren’t D1.

Unless everyone one on here would be ok with losing 2 home games every year and we start playing buy games every year in the OOC schedule and just quit scheduling those D2 games. I can almost guarantee season tickets won’t get cheaper with two less games so you will be paying the same amount for less.
                Actually, non-D-I games don't count against your RPI, so in a way, yes, two wins against a bad D-I team IS worse than non-D-I wins.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

There were a lot of people arguing that the Summit was on or or better and about to pass the MVC. And we might not have gotten to 5 NCAAs but I bet we would have gotten good seeds and a win or two if we made it. I mean, if we’re all about just making postseason tournaments and making it as easy as possible let’s move the football team out of the MVFC and into some slack ass conference like the Ohio Valley.

I’m 100% of the opinion that an unstable conference whose best options are UMKC or begging a DII to move up is not the best option for SDSU, no matter where the conference tourney is. I’m also 100% against just sitting on our hands and hoping the worst doesn’t happen because of a tournament.

I think that the Bison, Jackrabbits, Coyotes, and Leathernecks made the playoffs from the MVFC. I will not forget UNI as they traveled to Brookings for a game. Do you think we could move those 4 Summit teams to the OVC and make it a better conference? I would agree that UMKC does not improve the Summit. How long do you think they will ask to be admitted? I would guess they have and will be checking. They also thought they could get into the MVC at one time. UND coming into the Summit was a mild surprise following the long time from their turning D1. If you are expecting Douple to be broadcasting his moves like the Horizon commish, it is not likely to be happening. He is content with people guessing or whining about the situation.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Actually, non-D-I games don't count against your RPI, so in a way, yes, two wins against a bad D-I team IS worse than non-D-I wins.
                    You got me on that one but I would rather see us schedule two road games against better teams anyways and I would also want them to be true road that we get paid for and quit playing in Sioux Falls. If they could figure out a way to do a couple 2 for 1s that would be awesome but I would be ok with only playing guarantee games like games we had this year (Kansas, Witchita, Colorado).

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      If I'm Douple and the Summit League, and UMKC's coming back is really in play, I'm telling UMKC in no uncertain terms that if they re-join the Summit League, they have to look and act like a real honest to goodness Division I program . . . cheerleaders & band at all home games, radio coverage home and away, some kind of television contract, and some kind of realistic plan to attract fans and interest in KC (which is a serious uphill climb with KU a half-hour down the road, maybe even a plan in place to build a decent-sized (~5,000+) on-campus arena and get out of the high-school-sized on-campus gym/ancient Municipal Auditorium dance . . . like I've said before UMKC is possibly not even the #4 D-I option in a town where ostensibly they're the only D-I school--KU, KSU, Mizzou, even Nebraska gets more regular coverage in KC than UMKC does).

From a selfish point of view I'd love to have an opportunity to see SDSU in this town annually again, but I'm concerned that UMKC is at risk of trending down towards Chicago State territory, and I'm quite certain the Summit League shouldn't go there.
                      I don't think UMKC has a shot at coming back. At least that was the vibe Douple gave Zimmer at the SLT.

Of course Zimmer, like all Sioux Falls media immediately jumped on the Augustana bandwagon, even though, just last year they had all been told Augustana could not afford to move up. Right now you have to trust Douple and our administration (and USD and NDSU's). To date, they have made all the right moves filling slots. Now they need to bring in someone, or 2 someone's who can improve the league, not just fill holes.

Comment

Making the FCS football playoffs is cool and all but I don't know what to say about comparing it to making the NCAA Tournament in MBB. Those are two very different things considering 1/2 of the sports fans in the country don't even know such a thing as the FCS playoffs even exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          Making the FCS football playoffs is cool and all but I don't know what to say about comparing it to making the NCAA Tournament in MBB. Those are two very different things considering 1/2 of the sports fans in the country don't even know such a thing as the FCS playoffs even exists.
                          1/2?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                            You got me on that one but I would rather see us schedule two road games against better teams anyways and I would also want them to be true road that we get paid for and quit playing in Sioux Falls. If they could figure out a way to do a couple 2 for 1s that would be awesome but I would be ok with only playing guarantee games like games we had this year (Kansas, Witchita, Colorado).
                            Heck, I'd be ok with playing 5 or 6 guarantee games, then turning around and using the proceeds from a couple of those to buy some (admittedly lesser) guarantee home games of our own.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              1/2?
                              2/3.... I was being generous for this particular audience.....

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                                I feel some people are either completely whiffing on the comparison I was making or being purposely obtuse. I wasn’t comparing the FCs playoffs to the NCAA tourney for bb. I was making the comparison to point out that if all we want to do is qualify for post season play it would be like moving football to the OVC because it would be much easier to qualify in that conference since it’s so weak. That was as a rebuttal to a poster asking if we would have had as many tourney appearances if we were in the MVC. I don’t think anyone was planning on us having as much success as we have in the MVFC when we moved there, but we did it because it was a better conference that was stable, along with geographically better.

I just think that the thought process of staying in the Summit for the SLT location and because we can get more tournament bids than we would in the MVC, should and invite get extended, is playing with fire. That could backfire badly and end up with us stuck in a conference that falls apart during another conference realignment shift. The best, most realistic conference for SDSU to be in geographically that is stable is the MVC. To turn that opportunity down should it present itself to us short of the BOR shooting it down would be terribly shortsighted. All the Summit has right now is a core of the four Dakota schools to lean on and that’s not enough of a core for a full and healthy conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X