Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BEST SDSU ATHLETE OF ALL TIME!!!

Default Re: BEST SDSU ATHLETE OF ALL TIME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    Wouldn't Adam Vinatieri outnumber them all in regards to seasons in the NFL?
    Yes I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Ketty Cornemann played 3 sports (4 years of BBall; 5th year Volleyball and Threw the Javelin in Track).
    Not a bad candidate.
    "I think we'll be OK"

I thought Jeff Tiefenthaler back in the day was a great athlete. Still holds track records, was a beast at wide receiver......swear he could have played baseball, football, basketball and track at some level in college.

Doug Miller would have been a contender in any sport. He could knock your lights out on the football field, jump over you on the basketball court, and won some state championships in high school jumping in track.

This has nothing to do with the topic, but I thought it was an interesting article. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...uper-bowl-team
    Last edited by ringthebells; 09-21-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: add link
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Hope we can add wrestlers to the discussion ,not to far away from now.

Started cheering for SDSU in '08. Since then I've seen: Wolters, Daum, Zenner, Wieneke, and Goedert. Don't know if I could come up with an order 1-5 of those dudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFan96 View Post
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

I believe Jeff Booher was a high school all American at wide receiver before becoming the Jacks career steals leader on the bball court. There was talk of him playing both, but it seems scholarship allocation was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ringthebells View Post
    Doug Miller would have been a contender in any sport. He could knock your lights out on the football field, jump over you on the basketball court, and won some state championships in high school jumping in track.

This has nothing to do with the topic, but I thought it was an interesting article. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...uper-bowl-team
    I was just talking to my buddy about this story over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

"Best athlete ever" discussions tend to 'forget' athletes in sports other than football and basketball. And, they'll rarely take into account athletes who starred decades ago but there aren't any fans left who saw them compete. I think a very strong case can be made for some Jackrabbit runners (men and women) as being the best of all time: From the early 1970s, Australian Garry Bentley (multiple all-American and national champ in cross country and track...one of the top distance runners in the world for a while; our current coach Rod Dehaven (multiple all-American and national champ; represented the USA at the Sydney Olympics; one of the top road racers in the world and in his time probably the best marathoner not from an African country). Bentley and Dehaven ran times that today would still win. Go back in time: From 1912-1916, SDSU Hall of Famer, one of the new dorms in the Jackrabbit Villiage is named after him as is Tuskeegee's Abbott Stadium: Yankton native and Watertown High School graduate (16 varsity letters at WHS) Cleve Abbott (14 varsity letters at SDSU in football, basketball and track...could play baseball too) ...read more on SDSU's Hall of Fame webpage or Wikipedia).

But, always a fun discussion.
    Last edited by JackJD; 09-23-2017 at 01:07 PM.