BEST SDSU ATHLETE OF ALL TIME!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST SDSU ATHLETE OF ALL TIME!!!

Ok, so I posted this thread as an off-shoot of the Mike Daum thread where posting went in the direction of the best athlete in SDSU history?

So, let's have the discussion on who the best is!

Now to make this good, there are a couple things that should be kept in mind:
    1. Are we talking about pure athleticism regardless of sport or are we talking about "the best athlete at their individual sport"? For example, nobody is going to sale Dale Moss is the best basketball player SDSU has ever had. Well, I hope not anyway, and I love me some Dale Moss. However, you could make the argument that he was the best athlete to ever wear a Jacks basketball uniform.
    2. Make your case for whomever you are going to put up.

Should be a fun discussion!

Ready? Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: BEST SDSU ATHLETE OF ALL TIME!!!

Hard to beat Dale who played 4 years of BB, 1 year of FB (2nd team All-MVFC and invited to East-West Shrine Game) and went on to make the Green Bay Packers practice squad. He's got my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      Hard to beat Dale who played 4 years of BB, 1 year of FB (2nd team All-MVFC and invited to East-West Shrine Game) and went on to make the Green Bay Packers practice squad. He's got my vote.
      This yote fan nominates Wayne Rasmussen.
      Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
        This yote fan nominates Wayne Rasmussen.
        I will agree here, but his fullback Joe Thorne gave everyone fits. Those 3 years 1961-63 of NCC championships were great feelings for students like myself. I believe Wayne has the record for SDSU Players for playing seasons in the NFL. I think it is 11 seasons. He was a monster for Howard High School too. Opps I just opened the media guide to NFL Players and Steve Heiden also had 11 seasons. And then there is Jim Langer, Hall Famer who had 10 seasons. Our individuals of recent seem to out shine our team records.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I will agree here, but his fullback Joe Thorne gave everyone fits. Those 3 years 1961-63 of NCC championships were great feelings for students like myself. I believe Wayne has the record for SDSU Players for playing seasons in the NFL. I think it is 11 seasons. He was a monster for Howard High School too. Opps I just opened the media guide to NFL Players and Steve Heiden also had 11 seasons. And then there is Jim Langer, Hall Famer who had 10 seasons. Our individuals of recent seem to out shine our team records.
          Rasmussen was also two time ncc in basketball and baseball
          Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Wouldn't Adam Vinatieri outnumber them all in regards to seasons in the NFL?
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Either Rasmussen or Langer would be a good choice. I also would add Pete Retlaff to the list of contenders. He was a product of the 1950s. He played 11 years in the NFL, too, and that was after serving in the U.S. Army for two years. He made the Pro Bowl five times, was named all-pro several times and was named player of the year once. The Philadelphia Eagles have retired his uniform.He also starred in track at SDSU.
              This space for lease.

Comment

And there's Clyde Hagen, who in the late 1960s starred in three sports - basketball, football and track. That's not even possible anymore.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Difficult to gage this as any athletes in the recent years are only allowed to play a single sport. Hard to argue what Zach Zenner accomplished. Megan Vogel is a woman that I'd throw into the fray and I think Macy will be thrown into that same convo. Timmerman played at a high level for several years too.

Adam has more seasons than any jack in a professional sport.

Comment

Ketty Cornemann played 3 sports (4 years of BBall; 5th year Volleyball and Threw the Javelin in Track).

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      Wouldn't Adam Vinatieri outnumber them all in regards to seasons in the NFL?
                      Yes I forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        Ketty Cornemann played 3 sports (4 years of BBall; 5th year Volleyball and Threw the Javelin in Track).
                        Not a bad candidate.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I thought Jeff Tiefenthaler back in the day was a great athlete. Still holds track records, was a beast at wide receiver......swear he could have played baseball, football, basketball and track at some level in college.

Comment

Doug Miller would have been a contender in any sport. He could knock your lights out on the football field, jump over you on the basketball court, and won some state championships in high school jumping in track.

This has nothing to do with the topic, but I thought it was an interesting article. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...uper-bowl-team
                            Last edited by ringthebells; 09-21-2017, 07:40 PM. Reason: add link
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Hope we can add wrestlers to the discussion ,not to far away from now.

Comment

Working...
                              X