Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cowbell

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    A big problem I see is claiming that you can't ring a cowbell after the team has broken the huddle. This will be incredibly difficult to enforce, and if you really go to the ends necessary to actually enforce it, it will be more obnoxious than the bell ringing itself.

Having said that, I support the initiative and I would probably participate. Just pointing out a potential issue.
    I'm on the committee with Jacks#1Fan as well. We have received support from many people and offices on campus. The Alumni Association just passed a resolution to support the initiative too. There is a plan for education and implementation of ringing of the bell. With education, people will understand not to ring it when the teams break the huddle or penalties will be enforced against our team. Fans don't want to do that and hurt the team. From discussions we have had with people at Mississippi State, they have had tremendous success with the education and implementation for use of the cowbell at games.

As Jacks#1Fan pointed out, we have a long way to go yet, including meeting with the MVFC Commissioner. Hopefully the momentum will build from there.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      I'm on the committee with Jacks#1Fan as well. We have received support from many people and offices on campus. The Alumni Association just passed a resolution to support the initiative too. There is a plan for education and implementation of ringing of the bell. With education, people will understand not to ring it when the teams break the huddle or penalties will be enforced against our team. Fans don't want to do that and hurt the team. From discussions we have had with people at Mississippi State, they have had tremendous success with the education and implementation for use of the cowbell at games.

As Jacks#1Fan pointed out, we have a long way to go yet, including meeting with the MVFC Commissioner. Hopefully the momentum will build from there.
      How do you keep the visitors from ringing a cowbell?
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        How do you keep the visitors from ringing a cowbell?
        Is there a certain group of visitors you have in mind? As I said, this is in its beginning stages and we have a long way to go. Feel free to PM me with any thoughts or ideas if this is a concern you do have.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

How would ringing cowbells be considered different than the foot stomping on the metal bleachers on the east side, which continues all the way through the start of the play ? Aren't they both artificial noise ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            How would ringing cowbells be considered different than the foot stomping on the metal bleachers on the east side, which continues all the way through the start of the play ? Aren't they both artificial noise ?
            The ban is on artificial noisemakers.

(Which begs the question of band instruments, of course.)
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

IIRC, the band is specifically addressed in the official NCAA football rulebook.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Then why are speakers and sound systems allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  Then why are speakers and sound systems allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Speakers and sound system are operated by university employees while cowbells are operated by a litany of fans (who aren't always sober).

Rules can easily be enforced with the former while it's nearly impossible with the latter.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    IIRC, the band is specifically addressed in the official NCAA football rulebook.
                    Yeah, I know . . . but there's no disputing that a musical instrument (such as, ahem, a cowbell) is in fact an artificial noisemaker.

I suppose the "institutional control of those deploying artificial noisemakers -- er -- musical instruments" is an understandable loophole however.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I know I have heard cowbells on SDSU conference road games before too. Don't remember who we were playing, but you could sure hear it on the radio.
                      Western Illinois brought cowbells with them to Brookings. They were some parents and said the bring them to all there games. They claimed to have no idea of the Missouri Valley rule prohibiting them.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        Dang, you're going to try to get them to stop me from stompin'?

I think what may be missing is the "-maker," as there's not a separate device involved, merely creative feet and bleacher use

Comment

Bands can play until the snap. At least that's what we were instructed as drum majors back in the day. For safety, we would try to stop as the ref whistled that the ball was ready. Playing when the ball is live is a penalty.

The only thing I could never figure out is why it was legal to play during a kick return. During a Bison kickoff, we would do the spirit fingers thing while yelling and raising the pitch of the yell until the kick. At the kick, we'd do the "Oooh" and drop hands. As soon as the returner caught the kick, the snare would give 3 clicks and we'd start Wipe Out during the return. Never understood why that was okay. It's not like the clock stops during a return. It's still a live ball play, right? But we did it for many, many years, and I think the GSMB still does and never a penalty. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                            Bands can play until the snap. At least that's what we were instructed as drum majors back in the day. For safety, we would try to stop as the ref whistled that the ball was ready. Playing when the ball is live is a penalty.

The only thing I could never figure out is why it was legal to play during a kick return. During a Bison kickoff, we would do the spirit fingers thing while yelling and raising the pitch of the yell until the kick. At the kick, we'd do the "Oooh" and drop hands. As soon as the returner caught the kick, the snare would give 3 clicks and we'd start Wipe Out during the return. Never understood why that was okay. It's not like the clock stops during a return. It's still a live ball play, right? But we did it for many, many years, and I think the GSMB still does and never a penalty. Go figure.
                            That was back in the day Hammer... now bands have to stop when they break the huddle. That's to make sure the QB has a chance to call the snap without "artificial" (i.e., bands with instruments, cowbells, etc) noise making it hard for the team to hear the count. Obviously, they can't stop people from yelling (screaming), or using their feet on aluminum bleachers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              That was back in the day Hammer... now bands have to stop when they break the huddle. That's to make sure the QB has a chance to call the snap without "artificial" (i.e., bands with instruments, cowbells, etc) noise making it hard for the team to hear the count. Obviously, they can't stop people from yelling (screaming), or using their feet on aluminum bleachers.
                              College must be different than high school football. Down here in Oklahoma the band plays constantly during games.

Comment

The Pride just had this discussion at practice on Monday. We can play until the offense breaks the huddle. Playing after that or during a live ball, even kick returns, can result in a warning and possible penalty (believe Dr. Kessler said it's 15 yards) for the home football team. The goal of The Pride is to never be on ESPN; bands on ESPN are only featured for messing up i.e. falling down, penalties, marimbas getting tackled, etc.
                                Rollin' in my 5.0
                                With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                                Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Working...
                                X