Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cowbell

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    If there's something that scares children, it maybe shouldn't be part of the gameday experience.

#getoffmylawn
    Objective research has shown that bison walking/running upright traumatize children. May we outlaw Thundar?
    Spooky Bison Mascot.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      I disagree with both statements. I sit with 3 kids right around me (not mine) and they can’t wait for the cannon. They love it. I also love the chant. I think it shows a ton of pride and school spirit. I’ve been to many different campuses for many different events and any time the crowd does something in unison, I feel the spirit of support for that university. Those are my thoughts.

We are working on the cowbell and will hopefully have updates soon on that front.
      I agree re. both the cannon and chant -- not sure why the latter is as unpopular as it is (are people feeling "pressured" to participate by those who sit near them?). Back to the cannon -- didn't it used to be located at the northeast end of the field?

I wonder if moving it back there might reduce the crowd annoyance? Conversely, perhaps moving it closer to the students was one of the main reasons they have it in the SE corner.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
        I agree re. both the cannon and chant -- not sure why the latter is as unpopular as it is (are people feeling "pressured" to participate by those who sit near them?). Back to the cannon -- didn't it used to be located at the northeast end of the field?

I wonder if moving it back there might reduce the crowd annoyance? Conversely, perhaps moving it closer to the students was one of the main reasons they have it in the SE corner.
        The chant is stupid imo, it does not make any sense, but then neither did the principal of Brooking High School back in the late 1950's who tried to institute a cheer for his entire student body. We all hated it, and I dont even remember how it went. It was awful just as the third quarter chant is now. I would rather hear the PA guy do "AND ANOTHER JACKRABBIT FIRST DOWN" just like the dude up nord dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

If the cannon is an issue for young children then I'd say it's in a great spot, pointed away from the "family pack" area of the stadium. Sound should not be so loud with them behind the cannon.

As far as the chant is concerned, perhaps moving it to a different part of the game. Between the 3rd/4th quarter you are missing a large portion of the students(another topic...) and sometimes a majority of fans. Let's say you put it between the 1st/2nd quarter and have the Pride/BYC/students begin it(this alleviates any possibility of "ND" starting it) and the fans following it. It'd be interesting to see how 4,000+ students sound bouncing off the SJAC and 12,000+ fans trying to match their intensity. Who knows, 3rd/4th qtr break could be like the 7th inning stretch and we all sing "Ring the Bells"...and yes I'm aware they do this with the team at the end of the game. I'm not totally opposed to the chant, it's just weak. More than likely based on where it is in the game.

Comment

The chant is something new and needs to be incorporated into all sporting events to help it catch on. I agree with moving it and giving it a try with the students starting it if they are there. Students have to stay for the whole game to make the biggest difference they can as do all fans. The chant would be better if it just stayed Jack-Rabbits or SD-SU versus 2 rounds of each nothing wrong with having it go more than 4 times either let that sucker build.

Comment

I like the cannon and am not a fan of the chant. I like the idea of the chant, I just don't like the SD really long pause SU. Maybe if everyone chanted Let's go Rabbits in unison. The pause in between makes it seem hokey and contrived.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
                The chant is something new and needs to be incorporated into all sporting events to help it catch on. I agree with moving it and giving it a try with the students starting it if they are there. Students have to stay for the whole game to make the biggest difference they can as do all fans. The chant would be better if it just stayed Jack-Rabbits or SD-SU versus 2 rounds of each nothing wrong with having it go more than 4 times either let that sucker build.
                This is the best suggestion I've seen. I don't mind the chant, but I knew something was wrong with it. It is definitely cheesy and doesn't feel right to do 2 rounds of each. Another thing that might help is to have Jack get to midfield and point at the side that needs to chant.

Imo, the cannon is fine. It adds excitement to scoring plays, especially when they do it prematurely like last game, lol. I can sympathize with kids that are sensitive to loud noises, but if that's the case, get them ear protection because they're probably sensitive to the crowd getting loud for a big play all of a sudden too.

Comment

Kansas State uses its mascot for a cheer that everyone participates with. Maybe we could do something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChcvGzi_ScM

Comment

Re: the chant, here's an idea: have the rest of the stadium yell "SD" and the students respond "SU" and move it to between the first and second quarters . . . And do it for a good 15-30 seconds at least. If people can keep it up for a minute, or through the entire period break, that would be extra good. Having Jack and the cheerleaders in the center of the field leading/directing would be a good idea.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Re: Cowbell

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
                      This is right on point in my opinion...I share the same sentiments. I think the chant goes down hill when we switch from SD-SU to Jack-Rabbits after two rounds. Keep it SD-SU throughout and let it go for a minute or two. It has great potential, and maybe this change wouldn't make it feel so forced. Having one time for it to happen is great, and I agree between the 1st and 2nd quarter would be better. But limiting it to just SD-SU would also allow it start more easily organically at different points during a game.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I've always felt the reason the chant is stupid is the way it ends. it just ends abruptly and doesn't seem to have any closure it needs something different on the end whether it's longer or end in SDSU or whatever

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

The more in depth and complicated the chant, I feel the more people are impressed by the fact that many,many people would be involved and take the time to memorize and act it out (like a student section)...that's why the K-State chant is kind of impressive ,it changes and involves multiple responses,which must be memorized,and adds the gestures element by the mascot (I like the part where he plays like a musical conductor leading an orchestra,maybe we can expand on this a little and take it to another level?) .

The more that participate in the chant ,obviously,the louder and the more impressive it is. The reward for the participants is the more involved and the more impressive the chant is, the more fun it is to do and the more satisfaction they gain from doing it well.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-29-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            I've always felt the reason the chant is stupid is the way it ends. it just ends abruptly and doesn't seem to have any closure it needs something different on the end whether it's longer or end in SDSU or whateverSent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
                            Ending it with State Cadence would work well.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Ending it with State Cadence would work well.
                              Just for a little clarification on the chant issue. The chant does have an actual ending. After the last Jack-Rabbits, it's supposed to end with a rising "Gooooooo State!" in unison. That part never made it onto the video board though, and thus we're left with an incomplete ending.

It should be:
                              SD-SU
                              SD-SU
                              JACK-RABBITS
                              JACK-RABBITS

Unison: Gooooooo State!

The actual ending never made it onto the video board for some reason.

I agree that having the SD-SU part go on for a minute or so would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                                Just for a little clarification on the chant issue. The chant does have an actual ending. After the last Jack-Rabbits, it's supposed to end with a rising "Gooooooo State!" in unison. That part never made it onto the video board though, and thus we're left with an incomplete ending.

It should be:
                                SD-SU
                                SD-SU
                                JACK-RABBITS
                                JACK-RABBITS

Unison: Gooooooo State!

The actual ending never made it onto the video board for some reason.

I agree that having the SD-SU part go on for a minute or so would be great.
                                I'm not really sure about the JACK-RABBITS part? Wonder who came up with that?

Comment

Working...
                                X