Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cowbell

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    You are better than me, but that is not saying much. Let's get the cowbell back.
    I wouldn't say that Nidaros,I get way more complaints than you do.I think I struck a nerve...???

Comment

The group proposing the change is scheduled to meet with the MVFC Commissioner on either Friday or Saturday when she is in town during the Hall of Fame game with SIU. In the meantime, they have been lining up support from various groups. The SA vote was part of that process. Eventually, of course, the change will have to be approved by the presidents of the league schools. The process for doing that will be part of the conversation with the Commissioner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        The group proposing the change is scheduled to meet with the MVFC Commissioner on either Friday or Saturday when she is in town during the Hall of Fame game with SIU. In the meantime, they have been lining up support from various groups. The SA vote was part of that process. Eventually, of course, the change will have to be approved by the presidents of the league schools. The process for doing that will be part of the conversation with the Commissioner.
        Thanks Jack#1fan. That's what I wanted to know.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-28-2017, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I would be happy if there was even just a pre-game bell ringing frenzy. I am thinking similar to the horn blowing at Vikings game. Have a distinguished person ring a rather large or large collection of cowbells.

I think it will be hard to convince the MVFC to allow a waiver. Props for putting forth the effort though.
          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
            I would be happy if there was even just a pre-game bell ringing frenzy. I am thinking similar to the horn blowing at Vikings game. Have a distinguished person ring a rather large or large collection of cowbells.

I think it will be hard to convince the MVFC to allow a waiver. Props for putting forth the effort though.
            Seconded. I think that the days of cowbells in the stands have passed. However, having a large bell being a part of the pre-game/halftime festivities would be a lot of fun. Perhaps something that is rang by the players as they ran out of the tunnel? Or place it in front of The Pride and the team can ring it after they sing the school songs at the end of a game. It would be much easier to allow something that has meaning rather than just a noise-maker for people that don't clap/yell.

Edit: Spelling is hard during conference calls
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              Seconded. I think that the days of cowbells in the stands have passed. However, having a large bell being a part of the pre-game/halftime festivities would be a lot of fun. Perhaps something that is rang by the players as they ran out of the tunnel? Or place it in front of The Pride and the team can ring it after they sing the school songs at the end of a game. It would be much easier to allow something that has meaning rather than just a noise-maker for people that don't clap/yell.

Edit: Spelling is hard during conference calls
              I will support cowbells with the caveat that the dumb cannon be retired. I hate that thing. I know people who refuse to go to games because the cannon freaks them or their young children out. Football games are noisy, and crowd noise can be inspiring and energizing. It's a sound that is predictable and builds. So it's a lot less startling than the cannon fire. Some people are very sensitive to shocking noises like the cannon. Watch the next time we score a TD or FG on the north end of the field. When that cannon goes off, it startles everyone in the stadium and all their heads turn all at once. What's fun about that?

They can stay home will be the response. You might be surprised at how many people do. If there's something that scares children, it maybe shouldn't be part of the gameday experience.

#getoffmylawn
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                I fear this too. Does the vote of the presidents require unanimous consent or just a simple majority? I too appreciate the efforts by all concerned, alumni, students and fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I fear this too. Does the vote of the presidents require unanimous consent or just a simple majority? I too appreciate the efforts by all concerned, alumni, students and fans.

I am guessing that it requires some type of majority, but I doubt it falls in a 6-5 style simple majority. I'm guessing it would be 7 or 8 required yes votes. But I'm just speculating.

I think the hardest part of the vote will be the presidents of the three domed stadiums in the league. Hypothetically, even if an exemption were to pass and for some reason all league teams wanted to allow noisemakers into their stadiums, I believe that the domed stadiums would still not be able to per NCAA rules, since they would be playing in an indoor venue. I could be way off base on that, but I believe I read that somewhere a couple of years ago.

The pitch with the cowbells comes from the historical tradition at SDSU which predates that of Mississippi state and some other "cowbell" schools by about 20 years. MSU started their bell tradition in the 1940's, where as ours started in 1926. It's the subject of our school song, and is a major symbol on campus. The precedence is there for allowing exemptions, per the SEC and MSU, as well as the Big 12 and OSU (poke sticks).

It's a worthy cause, and we'll see how it ends up!

Comment

I found this in MVC bylaws. I am looking further to see if there is anything more specific to the MVFC, but they don't seem to have a bylaws online that a person can read. Unless I am just completely missing it. BUt, I would imagine that most conferences run this way with a simple majority.

10.1.3 Review. Requests for the Joint Committee to review an officialConference interpretation shall be made only by a memberinstitution's Chief Executive Officer, Faculty Athletics ChiefRepresentative, Director of Athletics, Senior Woman Administrator,Compliance Coordinator or designated substitute(s) for theExecutive Officer and/or the Director of Athletics, as specified inwriting to the NCAA. Requests shall be made to the Commissionerwithin thirty (30) days of receipt of the Commissioner'sinterpretation. The Joint Committee shall overrule or modify theCommissioner's interpretation only by a majority vote.Representatives of an involved institution are ineligible to vote orparticipate in the review.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      I found this in MVC bylaws. I am looking further to see if there is anything more specific to the MVFC, but they don't seem to have a bylaws online that a person can read. Unless I am just completely missing it. BUt, I would imagine that most conferences run this way with a simple majority.

10.1.3 Review. Requests for the Joint Committee to review an officialConference interpretation shall be made only by a memberinstitution's Chief Executive Officer, Faculty Athletics ChiefRepresentative, Director of Athletics, Senior Woman Administrator,Compliance Coordinator or designated substitute(s) for theExecutive Officer and/or the Director of Athletics, as specified inwriting to the NCAA. Requests shall be made to the Commissionerwithin thirty (30) days of receipt of the Commissioner'sinterpretation. The Joint Committee shall overrule or modify theCommissioner's interpretation only by a majority vote.Representatives of an involved institution are ineligible to vote orparticipate in the review.
                      The MVC and MVFC are 2 totally separate conferences correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                        The MVC and MVFC are 2 totally separate conferences correct?
                        they are but they are run by the same administrations for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          they are but they are run by the same administrations for the most part.
                          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            I will support cowbells with the caveat that the dumb cannon be retired. I hate that thing. I know people who refuse to go to games because the cannon freaks them or their young children out. Football games are noisy, and crowd noise can be inspiring and energizing. It's a sound that is predictable and builds. So it's a lot less startling than the cannon fire. Some people are very sensitive to shocking noises like the cannon. Watch the next time we score a TD or FG on the north end of the field. When that cannon goes off, it startles everyone in the stadium and all their heads turn all at once. What's fun about that?

They can stay home will be the response. You might be surprised at how many people do. If there's something that scares children, it maybe shouldn't be part of the gameday experience.

#getoffmylawn
                            I support this and will also petition to get the 3rd/4th quarter stadium chant banned as well. Run a contest amongst the students to come up with something. This chant reminds me of when they unveiled the initial new jack "logo" and it was met with a ton of backlash...in the end though it led to our current logo which I think is fantastic. In fact if I remember correctly there were several great logo submissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                              I support this and will also petition to get the 3rd/4th quarter stadium chant banned as well. Run a contest amongst the students to come up with something. This chant reminds me of when they unveiled the initial new jack "logo" and it was met with a ton of backlash...in the end though it led to our current logo which I think is fantastic. In fact if I remember correctly there were several great logo submissions.
                              I disagree with both statements. I sit with 3 kids right around me (not mine) and they can’t wait for the cannon. They love it. I also love the chant. I think it shows a ton of pride and school spirit. I’ve been to many different campuses for many different events and any time the crowd does something in unison, I feel the spirit of support for that university. Those are my thoughts.

We are working on the cowbell and will hopefully have updates soon on that front.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                                I disagree with both statements. I sit with 3 kids right around me (not mine) and they can’t wait for the cannon. They love it. I also love the chant. I think it shows a ton of pride and school spirit. I’ve been to many different campuses for many different events and any time the crowd does something in unison, I feel the spirit of support for that university. Those are my thoughts.

We are working on the cowbell and will hopefully have updates soon on that front.
                                Never have cared for cannons after the 1993 game with Montana in Missoula where SDSU blew a 38-7 lead and the Montana folks used up all their ammo. I think if kids enjoy it, that is what it is all about. Some of the adults love their beer too.

Comment

Working...
                                X