Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Week: Improvement Week

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    My biggest concerns are lack of a running game and defensive line play.

Outside of TC, we haven't run the ball well yet. That doesn't work in the MVFC. We need to be able to run the ball and sustain long drives against teams like ISUr, NDSU, UNI, YSU.

Our D-line needs to put more pressure on the QB. Otherwise we really struggle to get off the field in 3rd down situations, which goes back to games against NDSU and the like. They will simply put up long clock-killing drives that will keep our offense off the field.
    I am surprised because I figured with a mostly experience oline and RBs would have been great this year with teams selling out on the pass that our running lanes would be easier to open and enough backs to put pressure on constantly.

the d-line cant genterate its own pressure expect for soulek. When we blitzed we looked good but felt like when we didn't they were able to covert well.

would love to see more blitz. if you get burned at least you tried, but hoping the 4 lineman can produce enough pressure isn't really doing it.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Ways to Improve:
      Figure out how to get Adam Anderson the ball. Had two huge plays in week one. I don't think he has had a pass go his way in the last two weeks. Not sure what is up. He was the best receiver in camp (Jake doesn't count because no one could touch him). I can't figure out why they aren't using him more.

At running back I want to see us use Mikey more, just like everyone.

At offensive line, we have to get a push. Not sure what is up this year, but they just aren't creating space. Duquesne is the outlier, 200 yards by running backs, but the last two games have been frustrating. They are doing fine mostly pass blocking. I'd make a decision sooner rather than later about what to do on the right side. The initial plan was to put Matt Clark back at RG after his suspension and move Genant back to RT, but Greeneway has played pretty well. I don't think Weir gets his job back from Greeneway when he returns. Eck has maintained all along that he will put his best five out there. We will see.

Find a combination of defensive ends that can rush the passer and play the run. At this point, Smenda looks to be the most complete. Earith had an active game against Montana State but never got home. Kern has been disappointing. Tolu should be ready to contribute now that he is healed from his wisdom teeth removal; just needs to get back in shape. Give Tristan Leiseth more opportunity. Work a second move, besides speed, into Callender's rotation. Pray that Soulek is okay. Still not a lot of info on him. The others are fine, but they are certainly better with Soulek in there. He is a special player.

Work on communication between CBs and Safeties. Coaching staff is saying most of the breakdowns against Montana State were safety responsibility and that Jordan Brown was not to blame. Sounds like the safeties are messing up their reads and biting on underneath stuff when they deeper zones. I think we are okay with our top 3-4 cornerbacks. Washington doesn't scare anyone but he's solid. Marshon and Zy are fine 3rd and 4th CBs. I'd like to see less Farina and more Romanesko at safety. Ballster is limited but plays his ass off. Williams showed against Drake why the coaches don't trust him when he took out Marshon instead of making the tackle against Drake. He's an exciting player for sure, but unreliable.

Sorry if this is negative. Just an honest look. I'm expecting a 6-2 conference record with losses to YSU and USD.
      Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 09-18-2017, 01:39 PM.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Ways to Improve:
        Figure out how to get Adam Anderson the ball. Had two huge plays in week one. I don't think he has had a pass go his way in the last two weeks. Not sure what is up. He was the best receiver in camp (Jake doesn't count because no one could touch him). I can't figure out why they aren't using him more.

I think that they (19 & 86) might be a little too much of a safety net. Not only somewhat for TC but really the coaches.

At running back I want to see us use Mikey more, just like everyone. .

In my head I'm seeing this as a bit of a ZZ/Kool scenario. And much like the Det. Lions with zenner. I know he might not impress in practice but you can't deny the game results (could have beat the cowboys had they stuck with the run game). Someone check me if I'm way off base, I've been there before.

I'm expecting a 6-2 conference record with losses to YSU and USD.

I feel if we don't play better in conference 6-2 is a bit strong cus we'll lose at home to the bison too.

But we have a high celling. I too feel like TC can improve his passing. But guys like 19 can't have critical lapses during crucial games (good thing this hasn't historical been the case but rather the opposite).

I feel like we just need to sharpen focus.

But what do I know I haven't played since 1997. It was HS and I wasn't even good at that.

Comment

I think that if this team is going to meet the expectations placed on them this year, we will have to develop more of a run game. We saw last year that late in the year, we cannot rely on airing it out, especially if we think we're going to be playing in December at home. I want to see more of an identity based in the run game with this team when they come out against YSU.
          With the way our pass offense has seemed "off" the first three games, it makes me nervous thinking about Valley play.

Comment

I don't think the team needs to make any big improvements per se. Just subtle tweaks. Get guys healthy and ready to play, work off suspensions, dial in schemes heading into the conference season. Luck or lack of luck will make a difference. I have faith in the coaches and players.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Drake isn't in the MVFC. Without more pressure on the QB .500 in conference is a realistic goal even with the best passing offense in the league. I think we have the personnel to get it done. I'm more concerned about scheme, including situational blitzing and stunting on the D-line. We will see in 2 weeks at YSU. That is a tough team that will not bend on defense.
              Never said Drake was in the MVFC; there's a chance the Jacks weren't using their "Valley" schemes against Drake because they didn't want it on tape for conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                Never said Drake was in the MVFC; there's a chance the Jacks weren't using their "Valley" schemes against Drake because they didn't want it on tape for conference games.
                I think that's fair when you're talking about Drake and Duquesne. But the Montana State game left a lot to be desired on both sides of the ball, and I don't think the coaches were trying to play it close to the vest once that game tightened up.

It's hard to take away alot from the Duquesne and Drake games. But the one "tougher" opponent we did have highlighted some potential areas of concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                  I think that's fair when you're talking about Drake and Duquesne. But the Montana State game left a lot to be desired on both sides of the ball, and I don't think the coaches were trying to play it close to the vest once that game tightened up.

It's hard to take away alot from the Duquesne and Drake games. But the one "tougher" opponent we did have highlighted some potential areas of concern.
                  Guess we could all be guilty of the classic confirmation bias, but Duquesne purportedly had one of the best RB's in the nation, and the Jacks held them to 72 yards rushing. Duquesne's other opponents have not been able to do that.

Like I said, I'm interested in seeing how the game against the 'guins goes. I think the Jacks win by at least a TD. As for the USD game, I don't even want to think about the smelly 'Yotes winning against the Jacks.

Comment

Guess we could all be guilty of the classic confirmation bias, but Duquesne purportedly had one of the best RB's in the nation, and the Jacks held them to 72 yards rushing. Duquesne's other opponents have not been able to do that.

Like I said, I'm interested in seeing how the game against the 'guins goes. I think the Jacks win by at least a TD. As for the USD game, I don't even want to think about the smelly 'Yotes winning against the Jacks.
                    That Duquesne RB has since had games against two non scholarship teams in Dayton and Valpo. Their inability to hold the Dukes RB to the same yardage the Jacks did doesn't really have any bearing on our defense.

I think the Jacks D played well against the Dukes. But that RB 's 2016 numbers were built around the fact that the NEC is a weak conference compared to the top of the FCS. His freshman of the year numbers came agaianst teams with 45 scholarships.

Those 72 rushing yards had a lot more to do with the difference in competition between the MVFC and the NEC than the Jacks D being dominant against the run.

Again, I think our D played well that game, but I'm pretty sure that RB would have had about the same numbers against most MVFC teams (sans MSU and ISUb).

Comment

That Duquesne RB has since had games against two non scholarship teams in Dayton and Valpo. Their inability to hold the Dukes RB to the same yardage the Jacks did doesn't really have any bearing on our defense.

I think the Jacks D played well against the Dukes. But that RB 's 2016 numbers were built around the fact that the NEC is a weak conference compared to the top of the FCS. His freshman of the year numbers came agaianst teams with 45 scholarships.

Those 72 rushing yards had a lot more to do with the difference in competition between the MVFC and the NEC than the Jacks D being dominant against the run.

Again, I think our D played well that game, but I'm pretty sure that RB would have had about the same numbers against most MVFC teams (sans MSU and ISUb).
                      You're preaching to the choir when it comes to exploring hypothetical matchups between teams and players; they're like statistics in that people can mold them to their own ends. I just think it's very unfortunate that folks are pegging YSU as a loss when their two wins weren't against "Valley-caliber" teams. Plus, is the gap between Pitt and MSU really that significant this year. Seems so to those who are enamored with YSU being within a TD of them on the road but dismissive of the Jacks winning at MSU.

Comment

Honestly I can't help but think that we don't really hold a lot back ever let alone in OOC play. I'd think it'd be good to show as many looks as possible to get teams thinking and overthinking everything we do...overload th m and get them second guessing themselves. As long as we don't screw ourselves with too much trickeration(see delayed counter handoff draw on the 1 yd line).

Lack of QB pressure will be our Achilles heel all season if it doesn't improve. We could have an all conf defensive backfield and without QB pressure we're screwed.

Comment

You're preaching to the choir when it comes to exploring hypothetical matchups between teams and players; they're like statistics in that people can mold them to their own ends. I just think it's very unfortunate that folks are pegging YSU as a loss when their two wins weren't against "Valley-caliber" teams. Plus, is the gap between Pitt and MSU really that significant this year. Seems so to those who are enamored with YSU being within a TD of them on the road but dismissive of the Jacks winning at MSU.

MSU may end up being a good team this year, and we can look back at that game with a little different perspective.

But to answer your question, yes, I think the gap between ACC Pitt and Big Sky Montana State is significant enough to warrant evaluating those two games much differently. One team was 4-7 in 2016 with 63 scholarships in the fourth best conference in the FCS. The other team was 8-5 in 2016 with 85 scholarships in the ACC and had wins against the Big 10 Champions and the eventual national champions.

Comment

MSU may end up being a good team this year, and we can look back at that game with a little different perspective.

But to answer your question, yes, I think the gap between ACC Pitt and Big Sky Montana State is significant enough to warrant evaluating those two games much differently. One team was 4-7 in 2016 with 63 scholarships in the fourth best conference in the FCS. The other team was 8-5 in 2016 with 85 scholarships in the ACC and had wins against the Big 10 Champions and the eventual national champions.
                            The question was this year, and Pitt's pass defense in their game against YSU wouldn't lead to many wins (even in the Big Sky).

Comment

The question was this year, and Pitt's pass defense in their game against YSU wouldn't lead to many wins (even in the Big Sky).
                              I thought we weren't talking about hypothetical match ups? Or is that only when it isn't convenient for you?

The idea that a mid tier ACC team would finish in the bottom half of the Big Sky in what looks to be a down year for that conference is laughable. And if Pitt were to finish that low in the sky based on their pass defense, I'd just hate to see where the Jacks finished after MSU threw for 311 yards against them...

The point of this thread was to talk about improvmeets needed before YSU. This defense, and specifically the pass rush, need to improve if we are going into YSU and coming out with a win over what looks to be a top 5 team.

Comment

YSU is a completely different animal. If the Jackrabbits don't have a different defensive game plan it could get ugly out there.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X