Game Week: Improvement Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Week: Improvement Week

Well, it's the bye week (Improvement Week according to Stig) before the brutal conference schedule starts. So, what does the team need to improve the most this week?

Im hoping to see the defense improve their ability to get pressure. If they can get pressure, that will alleviate many of the problems with the run/pass defense.

Offensively, I just want everyone to get healthy. I may be in the minority, but I think the offense is not a concern.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Re: Game Week: Improvement Week

Our D-Line will be ok once Soulek gets back but I am really worried about our D-Ends and the lack of pass rush! The Valley has some great QB's and if we don't improve in this phase, I can see great QB's extending plays and keeping our D on the field and keeping our O on the sideline! Our offense will be ok....... we need to be able have 12-14 play drives to help out our D.

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
      Our D-Line will be ok once Soulek gets back but I am really worried about our D-Ends and the lack of pass rush! The Valley has some great QB's and if we don't improve in this phase, I can see great QB's extending plays and keeping our D on the field and keeping our O on the sideline! Our offense will be ok....... we need to be able have 12-14 play drives to help out our D.
      They had five sacks against Drake, so is your concern that the DE's aren't getting every sack?

Comment

I beleive I read that the DEs didn't get any of those 5 sacks. So yeah, I think that's a valid point to be concerned about.
        Our interior d line isn't going to be recording multiple sacks per game against the Valley. If we're going to have a pass rush, it's got to come from our DEs. Soulek will be double teamed all day, and the rest of our d line may not be able to provide the pressure needed. Therefore, the task of getting to the QB is likely going to fall on our DEs.

That's been the talking point all summer. And they really haven't delivered (yet).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          I beleive I read that the DEs didn't get any of those 5 sacks. So yeah, I think that's a valid point to be concerned about.
          Our interior d line isn't going to be recording multiple sacks per game against the Valley. If we're going to have a pass rush, it's got to come from our DEs. Soulek will be double teamed all day, and the rest of our d line may not be able to provide the pressure needed. Therefore, the task of getting to the QB is likely going to fall on our DEs.

That's been the talking point all summer. And they really haven't delivered (yet).
          You read wrong. Earith and Kern (starters) didn't record a sack. 4 of five were from defensive ends, Stacker being the outlier. Smenda, our third end recorded 1.5. Two of the sacks were in garbage time by players who don't travel. I would argue that Tristan Leiseth should travel and play more though. He impresses me. Glad Tolu got a few snaps. He'll contribute meaningful snaps soon.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I stand corrected then. Still would like to see the starters getting those sacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              I stand corrected then. Still would like to see the starters getting those sacks.
              Guess I don't care who gets them, and I think five sacks is a pretty decent defensive showing, particularly when Drake was playing their starters against some of the Jacks' 2nd and 3rd string defenders later in the game.

How about we see how the Jacks do against Youngstown before we concede what positions groups can or cannot do against vaunted Valley competitors?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                Guess I don't care who gets them, and I think five sacks is a pretty decent defensive showing, particularly when Drake was playing their starters against some of the Jacks' 2nd and 3rd string defenders later in the game.

How about we see how the Jacks do against Youngstown before we concede what positions groups can or cannot do against vaunted Valley competitors?
                I guess I'm not overly concerned with sack numbers. I would like to see the team be able get consistent pressure without having to blitz. If we can rush 4/5 and disrupt the QB while maintaining contain then we will see the next step with this defense.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  I guess I'm not overly concerned with sack numbers. I would like to see the team be able get consistent pressure without having to blitz. If we can rush 4/5 and disrupt the QB while maintaining contain then we will see the next step with this defense.
                  Got too have a staunch defensive line able to make the Qb nervous,or a really good secondary to cover guys,which really makes the Qb nervous too,having both is a dynamite defense,very hard to score on....hope we get there this season.

Comment

Blitzing or not that D isn't going to last long if the opposing QB hass 4+ sec to find a guy, our back end isn't that good to be able to cover that long. MT St proved that and they are a mid level Valley team at best...beating an old drum of mine but I saw Rozeboom and Farina blitz a couple times, I'd love to see more of that. Utilize Kleinschmidt and Backhaus in it too plus Seven and Noah whan they are in. Ultimately it's the 10-12 play 7 minute drives that kill us not the occasional 65 yd TD reception. Last years Bison playoff game proved that, the D was gassed and deflated after that. It almost came back to haunt them at the MT St game.

My other concern is TC and throwing the post, I don't think he has hit a guy in stride yet this year. I heard all off season on how he was the most improved. I believe he is...in practice, time to turn it on for the game. His stats are still great, don't get me wrong, but he has the benefit of getting bailed out by the receivers too.

Echoing many sentiments here...Mikey Daniel needs the ball more. Get him in there and running up the gut to soften the D. I like Brady and Isaac but they aren't scaring anyone right now. Still keep it a rotation but Mikey needs more carries and I would argue he should be the first one on the field.

My guess is teams will avoid kicking to Cade at all costs, 3 games in and he is proving to be a dangerous weapon. Lewis found a spark on Saturday too. Sad that he had the TD called back. Love that Chase is having so many touchbacks when he wants and his directional kicking is phenomenal. FG wise he is really hitting his stride, I think that 51 yarder would've been good from another 8-10 yds. I am a little concerned with the missed xp's, should be automatic.

Comment

I think if you have a good coverage guy,one eye on the QB ,one eye on the receiver in your area of responsibility,playing him perfect for a pick,but the QB doesn't make the throw because he's got plenty of time to check off to see if he's got a wider open target....that's when a little pressure sometimes forces the QB into making a poor decision and forcing that throw....bam, iNT....instant game changer...but need the coverage people playing a little tighter ,when we get good pressure on the QB ,as opposed to just hoping your in position to make a tackle .The timing has to be about right too between the def backs and the def lineman,you might want to give the illusion the receivers open,but really he's not,time and distance judgement and a good grasp of being able to get there as the ball arrives,know your own capabilities and don't try and exceed them.Not all QB's are the same either,gotta be game quick with developing a "feel" for how each individual Qb throws and observe his tendencies if he's got any. Football's a very tricky sport at times, just when you feel comfortable figuring you got them figured out ,everything changes again.Most of it's instinctual,but sometimes observing, and in game learning, becomes very important too.Of course,most the time it's not how the player plays as much as how he's told to play(how much can the player decide for himself,or simply do as he's told,of course you also have to do as your told well enough for everything to work together as it should...trust and faith in your coaches)

I'm not naive enough to think this scenario will play out every down,as most of the game it will be of the"bend but don't break" variety with few interceptions,but that's ok too,if it helps us win,just wishing we could get a few "flashy interceptions " once in awhile too,I as a fan probably like the glitzy maybe just a little too much.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-18-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

You'll excuse me if I'm not impressed about recording 5 sacks against Drake.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                          They had five sacks against Drake, so is your concern that the DE's aren't getting every sack?
                          Drake isn't in the MVFC. Without more pressure on the QB .500 in conference is a realistic goal even with the best passing offense in the league. I think we have the personnel to get it done. I'm more concerned about scheme, including situational blitzing and stunting on the D-line. We will see in 2 weeks at YSU. That is a tough team that will not bend on defense.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

My biggest concerns are lack of a running game and defensive line play.

Outside of TC, we haven't run the ball well yet. That doesn't work in the MVFC. We need to be able to run the ball and sustain long drives against teams like ISUr, NDSU, UNI, YSU.

Our D-line needs to put more pressure on the QB. Otherwise we really struggle to get off the field in 3rd down situations, which goes back to games against NDSU and the like. They will simply put up long clock-killing drives that will keep our offense off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                              My biggest concerns are lack of a running game and defensive line play.

Outside of TC, we haven't run the ball well yet. That doesn't work in the MVFC. We need to be able to run the ball and sustain long drives against teams like ISUr, NDSU, UNI, YSU.

Our D-line needs to put more pressure on the QB. Otherwise we really struggle to get off the field in 3rd down situations, which goes back to games against NDSU and the like. They will simply put up long clock-killing drives that will keep our offense off the field.

I'll add USD to this mix as well this year. If Streveler can stay healthy they can and will put a scare in to a lot of teams as well as win those close games they lost last year..

As far as keeping our offense off the field...I'm more concerned with keeping our D on the field. I have confidence that if it came down to a high scoring quick strike game that our D would respond well. It is when they are tired late in the game where mistakes and missed assignments happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X