X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Week: Improvement Week

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    Ways to Improve:

Find a combination of defensive ends that can rush the passer and play the run. At this point, Smenda looks to be the most complete. Earith had an active game against Montana State but never got home. Kern has been disappointing. Tolu should be ready to contribute now that he is healed from his wisdom teeth removal; just needs to get back in shape. Give Tristan Leiseth more opportunity. Work a second move, besides speed, into Callender's rotation. Pray that Soulek is okay. Still not a lot of info on him. The others are fine, but they are certainly better with Soulek in there. He is a special player.

Sorry if this is negative. Just an honest look. I'm expecting a 6-2 conference record with losses to YSU and USD.
    Just getting caught up after not logging in this week at all and this post stood out to me. You are really not paying attention if your calling out the starting defensive ends. Game 1 they maybe had 20 reps and coaches had them out on passing downs. There is a game within the game for a defensive end. You have to set up the tackle throughout the game to get that one sack per game and when you aren't on the field on 3rd and long (we pulled callendars redshirt and he took 3rd down reps) he gets to take advantage of the work the starters did.

Game 2 Montana state. The team prepared all week for an option team and rightly so, that's the body of work msu had put on tape. If you watched the first quarter our defense was incredibly effective. Somewhere in the second quarter soulek got hurt which was obvious, but both kern and earith did as well. Both of them finished the game (this is not to say soulek should have). Our young defensive ends played the end of the game in obvious passing situations but the coaches had obviously souls out to make msu pass instead of allowing option to get going (think cal poly last year). Doing so in high altitude you get wore out.

Last week vs drake kern and earith both played maybe a quarter and half and smenda was back and I believed mason started instead of earith. Again like the first game of year not many reps and due to injuries to starters both were done really early in game and both have sat out of the practices that I saw this week.

My final point is this. Why do you think our linebackers have so many tackles in a game? Our defensive lines job isn't always to rush a quarter back. Their job is simple eat up blockers so the line backer can make a play. It's been this way for a long time, so before you blame the d line or specifically the d ends for not living up to your expectations realize it's not your expectations they are worried about they get graded by the coaches for both practice and games and if they weren't doing their jobs the way they are coaches they wouldn't be starting.

Comment

Originally posted by tck9199 View Post
      Just getting caught up after not logging in this week at all and this post stood out to me. You are really not paying attention if your calling out the starting defensive ends. Game 1 they maybe had 20 reps and coaches had them out on passing downs. There is a game within the game for a defensive end. You have to set up the tackle throughout the game to get that one sack per game and when you aren't on the field on 3rd and long (we pulled callendars redshirt and he took 3rd down reps) he gets to take advantage of the work the starters did.

Game 2 Montana state. The team prepared all week for an option team and rightly so, that's the body of work msu had put on tape. If you watched the first quarter our defense was incredibly effective. Somewhere in the second quarter soulek got hurt which was obvious, but both kern and earith did as well. Both of them finished the game (this is not to say soulek should have). Our young defensive ends played the end of the game in obvious passing situations but the coaches had obviously souls out to make msu pass instead of allowing option to get going (think cal poly last year). Doing so in high altitude you get wore out.

Last week vs drake kern and earith both played maybe a quarter and half and smenda was back and I believed mason started instead of earith. Again like the first game of year not many reps and due to injuries to starters both were done really early in game and both have sat out of the practices that I saw this week.

My final point is this. Why do you think our linebackers have so many tackles in a game? Our defensive lines job isn't always to rush a quarter back. Their job is simple eat up blockers so the line backer can make a play. It's been this way for a long time, so before you blame the d line or specifically the d ends for not living up to your expectations realize it's not your expectations they are worried about they get graded by the coaches for both practice and games and if they weren't doing their jobs the way they are coaches they wouldn't be starting.

Tanks for your insight

Comment

Hahaha. Agreed on the game plan piece. However, I think it's okay to expect more from Kern. My conversation with Coach Brown this week indicated that he would also like Chase to create more pressure. Does he have a single pressure on the season? Even if he only played 15-20 snaps against Duquesne and Drake, I'd expect at least one pressure. I think the lack of pressure against Montana State is excusable as that was a funky game plan and team to prepare for and Murray has CLEARLY improved as a passer. Sure, I would have liked to see us counter and adjust but that's okay. We stopped the run and forced him to pass. However, you can't use Callender as an excuse as he played one game against Montana State and then didn't get in for the first few series against Drake. However, the goal all offseason has been to create more pressures and average 3 sacks per game. Through three games a starting defensive end has zero pressures.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Game Week: Improvement Week

Hahaha. Agreed on the game plan piece. However, I think it's okay to expect more from Kern. My conversation with Coach Brown this week indicated that he would also like Chase to create more pressure. Does he have a single pressure on the season? Even if he only played 15-20 snaps against Duquesne and Drake, I'd expect at least one pressure. I think the lack of pressure against Montana State is excusable as that was a funky game plan and team to prepare for and Murray has CLEARLY improved as a passer. Sure, I would have liked to see us counter and adjust but that's okay. We stopped the run and forced him to pass. However, you can't use Callender as an excuse as he played one game against Montana State and then didn't get in for the first few series against Drake. However, the goal all offseason has been to create more pressures and average 3 sacks per game. Through three games a starting defensive end has zero pressures.
          I actually shoot sdsu games and have multiple pics of kern in the backfield, in fact I have a great shot of him burying the qb last week so yes he does create pressure. Callendar isn't an excuse he is playing great for what he does. But your not going to get pressure on a 3 step drop and quick slats or outs. Maybe you should've asked coach brown to cut the d ends loose this week and see what happens. Sorry but if you truely question about pressure your not watching the d ends, (I played the position in high school and college and help coach the spot in high school so I naturally watch it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually shoot sdsu games and have multiple pics of kern in the backfield, in fact I have a great shot of him burying the qb last week so yes he does create pressure

Please share these salacious photos!

...and again Coach Brown said we need to create more pressure. I imagine our starting defensive ends are part of that.

Comment

Please share these salacious photos!

...and again Coach Brown said we need to create more pressure. I imagine our starting defensive ends are part of that.

Comment

Nice! I stand corrected! Nice photos too.

Comment

Nice! I stand corrected! Nice photos too.
                  Great photos. Looking forward to seeing more like this around Nov. 5 (only with the football bouncing toward Bison goal line and being scooped up by the Jacks' D for a TD).

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                    Great photos. Looking forward to seeing more like this around Nov. 5 (only with the football bouncing toward Bison goal line and being scooped up by the Jacks' D for a TD).
                    That would be a really great way to win the game, but just a little too stressful for me to wish it will be the way we win the game ,none the less, it'd still be a golden moment in time if someone could capture that scene,probably would be much revered moment in Jackrabbit lore.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      That would be a really great way to win the game, but just a little too stressful for me to wish it will be the way we win the game ,none the less, it'd still be a golden moment in time if someone could capture that scene,probably would be much revered moment in Jackrabbit lore.
                      To clarify, I don't want the game to hinge on that play. I'd just like to see Rozeboom, Backhaus, or one of the other defenders "scoop & score." Rozeboom doing so could be poetic justice given the flak he continues to take from the boys up north.

Comment

To clarify, I don't want the game to hinge on that play. I'd just like to see Rozeboom, Backhaus, or one of the other defenders "scoop & score." Rozeboom doing so could be poetic justice given the flak he continues to take from the boys up north.
                        Clear,you didn't say that,only that you'd like to see it happen and a picture taken of it happening.My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          My biggest concerns are lack of a running game and defensive line play.

Outside of TC, we haven't run the ball well yet. That doesn't work in the MVFC. We need to be able to run the ball and sustain long drives against teams like ISUr, NDSU, UNI, YSU.

Our D-line needs to put more pressure on the QB. Otherwise we really struggle to get off the field in 3rd down situations, which goes back to games against NDSU and the like. They will simply put up long clock-killing drives that will keep our offense off the field.
                          Pretty much sums up last night. A big play offense is no good if it doesn't get any big plays. If things don't change we are in for a 7-4 season and another trip up to Fargo in rd2 of the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            Pretty much sums up last night. A big play offense is no good if it doesn't get any big plays. If things don't change we are in for a 7-4 season and another trip up to Fargo in rd2 of the playoffs.
                            Ok, I haven't watched the game and pretty sure my psyche couldn't handle doing so after the Vikes, so re-visiting your first post, was QB pressure by the defense the issue vs. YSU, or was lack of gap discipline allowing the QB to scramble for additional yardage?

Actually hoping it was the latter, because that seems like it would be easier to quickly fix.

Not ready to resign myself to experiencing a 7-4 season, but you are completely correct that additional showings like that against YSU don't bode well. Guess I'm hopeful this game was the Jacks nadir this season.

Time to kennel the Salukis!

Comment

Ok, I haven't watched the game and pretty sure my psyche couldn't handle doing so after the Vikes, so re-visiting your first post, was QB pressure by the defense the issue vs. YSU, or was lack of gap discipline allowing the QB to scramble for additional yardage?

Actually hoping it was the latter, because that seems like it would be easier to quickly fix.

Not ready to resign myself to experiencing a 7-4 season, but you are completely correct that additional showings like that against YSU don't bode well. Guess I'm hopeful this game was the Jacks nadir this season.

Time to kennel the Salukis!
                              To me it was definitely the linebackers dropping too deep - they then were running full speed towards the QB, and he would put a move on them and it looked like they were on ice skates. If you are playing a mobile QB, keep a LB up to spy rather than dropping 8 deep.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                To me it was definitely the linebackers dropping too deep - they then were running full speed towards the QB, and he would put a move on them and it looked like they were on ice skates. If you are playing a mobile QB, keep a LB up to spy rather than dropping 8 deep.
                                Don't forget the DE's running themselves too deep out of the play rather than setting a edge. We were essentially left with 2 DT's and then the entire back 7 way downfield.

Comment

Working...
                                X