Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPD incident

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...cer/654151001/
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Re: UPD incident

There's two sides to every story, but I've had a few issues with them over the years. This just doesn't surprise me. We'll see if more of the story comes out.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Any organization,can have a rogue element,it's how its dealt with that determines how well the organization can run without such costly distractions,expecially a law enforcement organization,where public trust is so vital to succeed.But yes, we have to wait until an honest investigation has been conducted,and the facts revealed.

Comment

WTH is this? Not a good look for the University. I have heard that the UPD is overbearing at times, but this is next level.

Comment

From the argus article, "She did offer thanks to the officers who came to her daughters' aid on Saturday, however, and said she hopes the officer involved gets help.
          “We hope this officer does some soul-searching and gets some counseling,” Mentele said."

It is good to see the statement that shows willingness to forgive. Rogue officers will always be a part of law enforcement no matter how thorough the vetting process is. It is a scary situation to think of as a parent though.

Comment

If I am incorrect, please correct. I dont think the UPD is fully staffed and does depend on students from Criminal Justice to fill in on a part time basis. I would think this is would be good training for those who want to work in the law enforcement field. I am not for a second suggesting some mindless student is guilty in this situation. It may be someone senior on the force, who appears to have mishandled this whole incident. Like SDSUAlum08 said, there are two sides to this incident. Not having all the details, its hard to comment. With all these conceal carry laws and what have you, I would not want to be a police officer.

Comment

As mentioned below there are two sides to every story. The article was a little short of specifics, and it is easy to jump to conclusion per our own prejudices.

- Did the officer approach the encounter having already decided that someone was guilty of something? And escalated the situation needlessly?
              - Were the girls offended that the officer approached them in the first place and reacted belligerently to his commands? And escalated the situation needlessly?

I've seen people on both sides be at fault.

Comment

There are 2 sides always, agreed and there are both kinds(rogue officers and belligerent citizens). Escalations happen, sometimes unnecessarily, unnecessary ones can be resolved without a show of force. I look forward to due process and hope the best for all parties involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                  There are 2 sides always, agreed and there are both kinds(rogue officers and belligerent citizens). Escalations happen, sometimes unnecessarily, unnecessary ones can be resolved without a show of force. I look forward to due process and hope the best for all parties involved.
                  I looked at the mother's face book page and it is interesting reading. Their attorney has more or less silenced them until this moves forward.

Comment

I've had more than one Brookings City Police Officer tell me that the UPD has more full-time officers than the city.

Not sure if it is true but should be easy enough to figure out with some digging.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      I've had more than one Brookings City Police Officer tell me that the UPD has more full-time officers than the city.

Not sure if it is true but should be easy enough to figure out with some digging.

SUPERBUNNY
                      By God, in my day it was Officer Vaske and only Officer Vaske.

Comment

One of the girls was arrested with a charge of resisting arrest.

I have never understood this. Seems like someone would have to actually be under arrest (FOR SOMETHING) before being able to resist the arrest.

Police - I'm arresting you.

Citizen - For what?

Police - Resisting arrest.

Citizen - But what was I originally under arrest for, before I resisted?

Police - You don't seem to understand. Maybe if I slam you to the ground and tighten those cuffs my police logic will make more sense.

Can one of the lawyers on the board shed some light? How can this be? This type of charge seems like a face-saving tactic for police that would get instantly thrown out of court by a judge, no?
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I have no clue what happened here and I highly doubt we will ever get a complete picture unless some video surfaces. I can say I wouldn't want to be in law enforcement with instant judgement on social media. There are 2 sides to every story.....and then there is the truth. Bottom line if the police tell you to do something ..do it! I'm not taking sides here but also not rushing to a judgement either.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                            By God, in my day it was Officer Vaske and only Officer Vaske.
                            That's correct and he even had time to catch some basketball players breaking into to one of the mess halls or food service for some late evening ice cream. Seems like we ended that season with 9 people on the team and a game or two with only four players left on the floor. Officer Vaske and his wife are still members of Sons of Norway. Vaske is in his mid 80's, I believe. A full career on UPD without an incident and he could have let these guys go, but took the hard nose route yet he would be on hand at the barn for BB games.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 09-12-2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                              I have no clue what happened here and I highly doubt we will ever get a complete picture unless some video surfaces. I can say I wouldn't want to be in law enforcement with instant judgement on social media. There are 2 sides to every story.....and then there is the truth. Bottom line if the police tell you to do something ..do it! I'm not taking sides here but also not rushing to a judgement either.
                              We are living in fear both law enforcement and citizens alike and these complicated incidents do happen. The article says something happened on campus near mid-night that the got the attention of the campus police. Its time to take a very good deep breathe and relax.

Comment

Working...
                              X