Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UPD incident

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    One of the girls was arrested with a charge of resisting arrest.

I have never understood this. Seems like someone would have to actually be under arrest (FOR SOMETHING) before being able to resist the arrest.

Police - I'm arresting you.

Citizen - For what?

Police - Resisting arrest.

Citizen - But what was I originally under arrest for, before I resisted?

Police - You don't seem to understand. Maybe if I slam you to the ground and tighten those cuffs my police logic will make more sense.

Can one of the lawyers on the board shed some light? How can this be? This type of charge seems like a face-saving tactic for police that would get instantly thrown out of court by a judge, no?
    One does not need to be charged with a precipitating offense in order to be charged with resisting. Let's please not play the "what if" game with this incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
      I have no clue what happened here and I highly doubt we will ever get a complete picture unless some video surfaces. I can say I wouldn't want to be in law enforcement with instant judgement on social media. There are 2 sides to every story.....and then there is the truth. Bottom line if the police tell you to do something ..do it! I'm not taking sides here but also not rushing to a judgement either.
      I'm assuming there is video somewhere but I am surprised it hasn't surfaced. There were supposedly a number of other student witnesses.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Does the UPD wear body cameras? I would think that would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          One does not need to be charged with a precipitating offense in order to be charged with resisting. Let's please not play the "what if" game with this incident.
          Not trying to play what if. Just commenting on what seems like bad/weird reasoning, I've seen multiple articles with this sort of charge before.

IMO, it seems like it is often used as a way for police departments to coverup an overzealous officer's actions. In many cases (admittedly probably confirmation bias due to the nature of things reaching the level of media coverage) it seems like the precipitating offense is complete BS in the first place.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            Does the UPD wear body cameras? I would think that would be helpful.
            Helpful for whom...?
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Helpful for whom...?
              All involved.

Comment

Not trying to play what if. Just commenting on what seems like bad/weird reasoning, I've seen multiple articles with this sort of charge before.

IMO, it seems like it is often used as a way for police departments to coverup an overzealous officer's actions. In many cases (admittedly probably confirmation bias due to the nature of things reaching the level of media coverage) it seems like the precipitating offense is complete BS in the first place.
                Playing "what if" is exactly what you are doing with these posts, you're just not directly saying it: "bad/weird reasoning", "coverup an overzealous officer's actions", and "Maybe if I slam you to the ground and tighten those cuffs my police logic will make more sense" comes to mind. It's clear that you think UPD was in the wrong here. So far, we have very little facts on what actually occurred. Maybe they were in the wrong, maybe they weren't, maybe both parties were at fault. Why not just wait for the rest of the facts to come out before you begin to disparage one party or the other?

Comment

UPD incident

Playing "what if" is exactly what you are doing with these posts, you're just not directly saying it: "bad/weird reasoning", "coverup an overzealous officer's actions", and "Maybe if I slam you to the ground and tighten those cuffs my police logic will make more sense" comes to mind. It's clear that you think UPD was in the wrong here. So far, we have very little facts on what actually occurred. Maybe they were in the wrong, maybe they weren't, maybe both parties were at fault. Why not just wait for the rest of the facts to come out before you begin to disparage one party or the other?
                  The way UPD acted towards the students and people in general when I was on campus didn't buy them a lot of slack with me personally.

I haven't made up my mind on this particular case but I wouldn't be surprised if they were overzealous.
                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Helpful for whom...?
                    Yes, all involved. As an officer I'd want any evidence that could corroborate and justify my actions. I'd have my camera on constantly if I was interacting. As a citizen I'd like to know that there is something that may deter the very small percentage of officers who abuse the power.

For me, the father of 4 girls(one of whom has already graduated from SDSU) it's scary enough to worry about the creep that seems to be at every party looking for an angle. I for one see no reason for the level of the use of force on a 5'3, 120# 17-18 year old girl. I realize all the facts are yet to come out and justice may be blind but public opinion is not. If I were an officer I'd want proof that I was doing my best to handle the situation. I'd like to think the only officers that wouldn't want body cameras are those that are on a power trip. Then again just my opinion, that and $1.37 will get you a large coffee at Zip Trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      If I am incorrect, please correct. I dont think the UPD is fully staffed and does depend on students from Criminal Justice to fill in on a part time basis. I would think this is would be good training for those who want to work in the law enforcement field. I am not for a second suggesting some mindless student is guilty in this situation. It may be someone senior on the force, who appears to have mishandled this whole incident. Like SDSUAlum08 said, there are two sides to this incident. Not having all the details, its hard to comment. With all these conceal carry laws and what have you, I would not want to be a police officer.
                      I carry concealed, The majority of concealed carry holders are law abiding citizens. The police have more to fear from those who chose to carry illegally.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                        I carry concealed, The majority of concealed carry holders are law abiding citizens. The police have more to fear from those who chose to carry illegally.
                        Why do need to carry at all? A fear factor I suspect!! I don't carry and no need to in Arlington.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Why do need to carry at all? A fear factor I suspect!! I don't carry and no need to in Arlington.
                          Can we just shut this thread down now before it gets ridiculous?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            Can we just shut this thread down now before it gets ridiculous?
                            Too late.

Concealed carry is not at issue here. I could easily be pushed from a mood of "rather annoyed" to "permanent ban(s)". Soothing noises towards your board owner are probably appropriate right now.

Let's let the facts of the case come out.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Too late.

Concealed carry is not at issue here. I could easily be pushed from a mood of "rather annoyed" to "permanent ban(s)". Soothing noises towards your board owner are probably appropriate right now.

Let's let the facts of the case come out.
                              Do you prefer the soothing tones of Barry White, Andy Williams, or the Carpenters? And I agree, the facts need to come out...I apologize if any of my thoughts offended anyone, call it the papa bear syndrome. With any luck due process will follow course and ALL individuals involved will be ok.

Comment

As a layman, I think it seems kind of dumb when resisting arrest is the only charge stemming from an arrest. That is all I am saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X